Flying to Elko Nevada. Anyone been there?

ISPYFROMABOVE

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
S. Halbert
Alright. I'm planning on flying to Elko NV from Southern California. Specifically, Redlands Municipal (KREI) to Elko (KEKO) I will be flying either a C-172 or a Piper Archer.

I was thinking about flying IFR, but on fltplan.com, the only IFR plan that fit the departure and destination was REI, Hector, LAS, Direct. That puts a lot of barren, uninhabited, no airports in the area... there is a large distance between vegas and Elko. I know that I will need a fuel stop. I was wondering if anyone has done an IFR flight from Southern California to Elko, or an area local to there, like Battle mountain. I considered a VFR plan, staying a bit more to the west of las vegas where there are a few more airports along the path, but the terrain is very high along the route, and there just aren't that many airports to divert to if necessary. further, i'm not familiar with the weather patterns along the route or at the destination.

Any suggestions from anyone who has flown the route or a similar one would be great.

I can't say anything about the airport, but I will point out that Elko is pretty much my definition of the middle of nowhere. If memory serves, it has the dubious distinction of being the county seat of the county with the highest suicide rate in the US.

IFR on that route is tough. LAS is busy airspace, plus the restricted area and MOA north of LAS. The MOAs are busy places and RED FLAG is coming in two weeks.

Consider, REI, DAG, TPH, EKO. May also consider VFR with possible flight following.
The Edwards AFB restricted areas, work with Joshua Appch if you can get through, if not, turn the corner around the Silver MOA north of DAG and head for BTY, then TPH.

Fuel at TPH, no food near the airport. No fuel at BTY. TPH to EKO is open territory, lots of places to land if off airport, a few ranch airports, not all charted.

What you find for weather depends on what system is moving through. Mountainous terrain, but you are going up the 5000 MSL valleys, not crossing 11,000 MSL ridge lines.

Other option would be west of Edwards, Owens Valley to Bishop, then NE to EKO. Bishop is a good rest stop, fuel and food.

Other option would be west of Edwards, Owens Valley to Bishop, then NE to EKO. Bishop is a good rest stop, fuel and food.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Bishop out near Yosemite? If so, that's some pretty country and would be wonderful to see from the air.

I can't say anything about the airport, but I will point out that Elko is pretty much my definition of the middle of nowhere. If memory serves, it has the dubious distinction of being the county seat of the county with the highest suicide rate in the US.

Yeah, but Battle Mountain is the armpit of the US. They have the billboard on I-80 to prove it.

Elko isn't that small of a town, but it is very isolated. It's got a BIG mine.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Bishop out near Yosemite? If so, that's some pretty country and would be wonderful to see from the air.

It's at the head of the Owens Valley, a bit south of Yosemite. It's notorious for mountain waves due to the very high mountains directly upwind.

It's at the head of the Owens Valley, a bit south of Yosemite. It's notorious for mountain waves due to the very high mountains directly upwind.

It's east of Yosemite, and yes, if there is a weather system moving with winds, wave and rotor turbulence is an issue, take the more eastern route to DAG and TPH.

If its a nice day, it's a beautiful ride up the Owens valley along the Inyo and Whites. Talk to Joshua Appc for access through the Edwards and China Lake restricted area and MOAs. If you can get through the Restricted areas, go direct to TPH.

Thank you BTIZ. I appreciate the suggestion. weather permitting i'll probably go the vfr route and get flight following. Seems to be the shortest and most ..... er...... friendly to the hind end in the seat.

I flew a trip there last month. There is really nothing there...

I fly that route a couple times a year from Twin Falls to Chino. If you go on Sunday you can usually get to fly right over Edwards and through the China Lake range. It's a cool flight over all the gunnery targets. I've never been cleared through Edwards airspace during the week. I go from Chino to Inyokern then Tonapah then to Elko. You'll start up the Owens Valley at Inyokern But just before Lone Pine jump over to the next valley east of Owens and that will take you right to TPH. Good gas stop but nothing else there. From TPH you will fly a valley north that will take you through a pass just east of Elko setting you up for a good approach to the airport. All of those valleys have roads and ranch strips all along the way. Winter weather conditions up here can be wild at times and there are usually strong winds from the west so flight plan carefully. Flying in actual IFR conditions in a 172 up here in the winter is not a good idea. If it is IFR there is almost always ice and the MEAs are all pretty high. You will have to pre heat the engine when you return and learn how to start an engine in cold temps. Elko is currently 1/2 mile in freezing fog 200' vertical viz 18*F. Don

Elko is also known as the Basque capital of the U.S., so, if you're in to Basque food, that's where to get it.

I've flown to Bishop (KBIH) hella times. One thing to note when you are departing to the North up the Owens Valley is that the terrain steadily rises up to Mono Lake, so a Vy climbout gains you little AGL gain has you head North, particularly on a hot day.

I used to fly air ambulance in rual Nevada. The entire state is pretty sparse except for the area around Reno and Las Vegas. I'd be thinking of flying in VMC conditions because of the high MEA's. It can get cold in the winter dessert. The base terrain is around 6000 msl. I flew out of Reno, so I don't have any help with SUA.

Elko is also known as the Basque capital of the U.S., so, if you're in to Basque food, that's where to get it.
It's been a long time since I spent time in Elko but I remember that. Their main industry is gold mining. I used to know one of the guys at the FBO which was called El Aero Services but I don't even know if they exist any more.

My brother lives outside Elko. He likes it there. Of course, he works for Newmont Mining. :D

A buddy of mine lives in Elko, working for Ford Steel. I was going to visit him last year, but it didn't work out. Unlike OP I planned to arrive through Ely.

Fly to LAS then stay to the east of the restricted areas and go straight up the valley. I would not go IFR with the planes you mention because the airways will take you out of the way and the MEAs are very high. If it is windy and you get a lot of turbulence up high get down on the deck a couple hundred feet and have some fun flying low, it is a lot smoother down low. Plenty of flat areas to land if you have an emergency. I would pick up flight following as soon as you depart KREI and they will keep handing you off all the way through to Nellis approach. They will get through all the MOAs but will loose you on radar so you will have to give them periodic reports.

Alright. I'm planning on flying to Elko NV from Southern California. Specifically, Redlands Municipal (KREI) to Elko (KEKO) I will be flying either a C-172 or a Piper Archer.

I was thinking about flying IFR, but on fltplan.com, the only IFR plan that fit the departure and destination was REI, Hector, LAS, Direct. That puts a lot of barren, uninhabited, no airports in the area... there is a large distance between vegas and Elko. I know that I will need a fuel stop. I was wondering if anyone has done an IFR flight from Southern California to Elko, or an area local to there, like Battle mountain. I considered a VFR plan, staying a bit more to the west of las vegas where there are a few more airports along the path, but the terrain is very high along the route, and there just aren't that many airports to divert to if necessary. further, i'm not familiar with the weather patterns along the route or at the destination.

Any suggestions from anyone who has flown the route or a similar one would be great.

Cowboy poetry?

..... get down on the deck a couple hundred feet and have some fun flying low, it is a lot smoother down low. Plenty of flat areas to land if you have an emergency..

First post...... Welcome to POA...:yes:..

I like the way you think too..... Down low is a blast to fly..:thumbsup:

It's been a long time since I spent time in Elko but I remember that. Their main industry is gold mining. I used to know one of the guys at the FBO which was called El Aero Services but I don't even know if they exist any more.
Yes, El Aero is still there, just east of the old abandoned FSS building. They've treated us well every time we stop in.

Fly to LAS then stay to the east of the restricted areas and go straight up the valley. I would not go IFR with the planes you mention because the airways will take you out of the way and the MEAs are very high. If it is windy and you get a lot of turbulence up high get down on the deck a couple hundred feet and have some fun flying low, it is a lot smoother down low. Plenty of flat areas to land if you have an emergency. I would pick up flight following as soon as you depart KREI and they will keep handing you off all the way through to Nellis approach. They will get through all the MOAs but will loose you on radar so you will have to give them periodic reports.

Why would you go that way? The whole idea of flying is to get there quickly in as straight of line as practical. Vegas is way out of his way. The Tonapah route is the shortest and it is mostly over valleys and roads. Vegas to Ely is really rugged. Don

Why would you go that way? The whole idea of flying is to get there quickly in as straight of line as practical. Vegas is way out of his way. The Tonapah route is the shortest and it is mostly over valleys and roads. Vegas to Ely is really rugged. Don

Yes. Agree totally.

I fly Los Angeles to TWF once or twice a year, and crashed a plane outside of Elko once. Strange people there, don't crash there. As mentioned, lots of fields... but also lots of rocks, power lines, and in my case, a very sturdy livestock fence.

I do the I-follow-roads bit through there, there is a NV highway that will take you straight up from Tonopah as someone mentioned. I want to say NV 99 but I can't remember. It's on the chart.

If in summer, I hope you like turbulence. Winter is darn cold up there. I've never done the entire route IFR, only segments, as the clouds are usually freezing -- the MEAs are pretty high (13k and 15k if I remember correctly)

Most of the little airports are outhouse-and-fuelpump affairs.

Put some movies on the ipad.

The flight is just an extended-play version of the flight up the owens valley to MMH or the flight to Havasu, Phoenix, or west texas. Terrain is high, performance will be low, practice your high-alt takeoffs and landings, don't load the plane to the gills if you can avoid it.

I think the snake river is neato from the air :)

$0.02

- Mike

Thank you BTIZ. I appreciate the suggestion. weather permitting i'll probably go the vfr route and get flight following. Seems to be the shortest and most ..... er...... friendly to the hind end in the seat.

Read the "Help me plan" thread on POA. That pilot just returned from Sante Fe to Concord CA. He got as far as TPH and then had to fly south towards the Owens Valley before he could turn west across the Sierras. You'll be west of his route. Trade some PMs with him on working with Joshua Appc and the TPH facilities.

There is serious wind and weather forecast for the next few days in the Owens, Bishop, Mono Lake, TPH and BTY/LAS areas. Surface winds up to 30-35mph in the Nevada Great Basin.

Yeah, been there - in about 1954 or 55 as a paying passenger on a United Airlines DC-3

I used to stop for gas in Elko a couple of times a year. My input is to navigate carefully around the restricted airspace. The terrain is rough but flyable. Best to use an airplane that likes 12-14K altitude (some Ox might be useful). When I fly over that part of the world I use flight following and would expect at 12-14K to be in and out of radar coverage. Lots of gas on board is a good idea. The best indicator of the weather is to look out the windshield. Winds and turbulence are a usual problem. Many years ago I flew a 172 from SFO to Den. It was a long haul but an interesting trip. Good Luck.

I was based at Elko for awhile and my parents lived at Spring Creek for nearly 20 years. I flew everything from J3's to Citations in and out of there and truly loved the area. Coming up from southern California at less than FL altitudes, if a fuel stop was needed I'd usually opt for North Las Vegas. Then highway 95 to Tonapah, highway 376 to Austin, direct. This time of year the winds are most often from the west and quite strong, so mountain wave familiarity and a supply of barf bags for the passengers are both suggested.

...and above all,
Fly Safe!

WileyP

Thanks everyone. I will definitely fly the trip only if weather permits. I think the archer is probably a better bet for the extra performance and useful load. I won't be heavy, it will just be me and the wife up, an an added 2 puppies on the way back. The info is good, ESP on the cold weather stuff.

I agree with flying to get there quickly but I would add comfort and that straight lines are not always the fastest. My experience has been the prevaling winds when I have flown have been the most favorable the KREI LAS KEKO direction either because of a tail wind or winds over the mountain tops. The difference in distance is small. KREI TPH KEKO=415nm, KREI LAS KEKO=441nm, only 26nm. Pretty small for favorable winds for either faster ground speed or greater comfort (less turbulance). LAS KEKO route avoids restricted areas where as KREI TPH takes you through them and if active, which they are many times will force you to dieviate your route eating into the 26nm savings. The TPH KEKO route take you over or through the series of washboard mountians which is the most rugged and turbulent of both routes. The LAS KEKO route has wider valleys, many dry lake beds and flat areas to land which might not be a road but wont force you to land in one direction also you will have better radio coverage with Nellis approach. I have found it to be a much better route. If he was turbo charged and at FL22 I might consider different. One last thing always bring a handheld radio:)

Thanks everyone. I will definitely fly the trip only if weather permits. I think the archer is probably a better bet for the extra performance and useful load. I won't be heavy, it will just be me and the wife up, an an added 2 puppies on the way back. The info is good, ESP on the cold weather stuff.

tell us about the puppies....:yes:

Well. They are Catahoula Leopard Dog puppies that are in the shelter up there in Elko. We have a 12 year old Catahoula right now, but she has bone cancer and doesn't have much time left. We like the breed so much that the flight up there to get the 2 pups is worth it. It should be an interesting trip back with 2 puppies.

Several pilots from Elko hang out on backcountrypilots.org. Register over there and ask your question

Having Flown to Elko many, many times whn flying Bank Checks in a Seneca find a
nice loooong runway to set down. Watch for flocks of small birds along the runway that like to get airborne just in front of you on landing.

I live in Battle Mountain, born and raised here. I worked for the FBO here, Harless Aircraft Services, for 5 years back in High School and while earning my PPL. I spend a lot of time in Elko as well (only 50 nm from KBAM) so its a short hop I take quite often. As stated by others, this area is definitly some high altitude mountain flying and winter weather can be undesirable to flying, but that being said, we do have some beautiful winter flying weather as well! In fact, in a 172, I think the winter beats out the summer quite often for the fact of Density Altitude and rapid building thunderstorms that we continuously deal with. Dont let the others scare you off about our small towns...the people here are very welcoming and friendly. Yes El Aero is still in business and in fact have a nice new FBO. But do concider making KBAM your fuel stop...I'll actually be running the FBO here on the 26th :D If you have any questions or need any info, feel free to hit me up! Fly Safe!

Back