Flying to California low and slow

Very true, and also a fascinating drive.

Sedona is a few thousand feet lower than Flagstaff, so in a 30 minute drive, you'll descent into a completely different climate. Make sure not to take I40 out of Flagstaff; instead, take the highway through the woods/mountains directly to Sedona.

-Felix
That's Highway 89. There's even a dirt road, name escapes me, if it's dry it's passable in a Front Drive Sedan (bears a family's name, I'm forgetting it just now). Just get it washed before you return it. The agency WON'T be happy.

I remembered. Schnebly Hill Road.

Last edited:
DHT is one of the smelliest places I've ever been. Just a warning.
What does it smell like? Are there stockades there?

If you are using KINW as a waypoint, you can't miss meteor crater.
Ok, I just entered it into my flight plan. I wasn't sure where it was until now.

Someone mentioned going to Page (KPGA), and I would highly recommend going there. If you fly north of KINW, thru the painted desert, which is one of the most desolate places I've ever visited, by the way, you will eventually get to Page. From page, head east, and you'll get to Monument Valley. Definitely a place you don't want to miss.
I flew low and slow out there a few years ago, and was in awe.
We'll try to do that if we have time.

Let me know if you need me to mow the lawn.
:) It is VERY hard finding people to take care of the farm and the runways and the fish and the kitties for three weeks. We don't have neighbors, really. That's one reason Tom didn't go with me on my trip last May. Thanks for the information! :)

If Tony hasn't told you yet, you ought to stop by Burt Compton's glider operation in Marfa when you stop there.

www.flygliders.com

Pete
Thanks Pete. If we have time we might do that. We may need to plan for that next time. Someone on another forum mentioned the Marfa Lights. Has anybody here ever seen the mysterious lights?

Diana,
If you want to stop in that area, I'd highly recommend stopping in Flagstaff, AZ (FLG) instead of GCN for a few reasons:
Thanks for all the great information Felix. We'll keep that in mind. :yes:

Although going west you'll probably want to fly 6500.

I disagree....she'll be below 3000ft agl, so legally, it doesn't matter. Plus, there won't be much traffic down that low anyways.

It is VERY hard finding people to take care of the farm and the runways and the fish and the kitties for three weeks. We don't have neighbors, really.

You just need three POA folks who each want a one-week "vacation" out in the peace and quiet of the rurals, with an on-site runway.... :yes:

What was your experience at Grand Canyon Airport? I think we may land at that one to get a glimpse of the Grand Canyon. Do they give helicopter tours from there? Anyone spend the night there?

If we have time coming back we will try to get to Monument Valley and the Meteor Crater.

I've been working on the trip the past few days and have a preliminary and ever-changing map. Additional suggestions will be appreciated. :)
Looked at your route map updates :)

Do you know about 1G4 and the "deal" there?

Also, Kingman would NOT be on my list of things to do or see, though they do have relatively cheap self-serve fuel. YMMV. They have an airport restaurant for b-fast and lunch. You'll need a cab to get to a hotel. Personally I'd travel a few minutes further west and land at Bullhead City and stay in Laughlin or maybe down to Lake Havasu City. Maybe you have a reason to go to Kingman?

Last edited:
That's Highway 89. There's even a dirt road, name escapes me, if it's dry it's passable in a Front Drive Sedan (bears a family's name, I'm forgetting it just now). Just get it washed before you return it. The agency WON'T be happy.

I remembered. Schnebly Hill Road.
Thanks Bruce, don't think I've tried that route yet. I'll give it a shot next month!

-Felix

Looked at your route map updates :)

Do you know about 1G4 and the "deal" there?

Kingman would NOT be on my list of things to do or see, though they do have relatively cheap self-serve fuel. YMMV. They have an airport restaurant for b-fast and lunch. You'll need a cab to get to a hotel. Personally I'd travel a few minutes further west and land at Bullhead City and stay in Laughlin or maybe down to Lake Havasu City. Maybe you have a reason to go to Kingman?

I assume you're talking about the $100 fee to land there?

Bastards, the whole lot of 'em.

Diana, if you want to see Grand Canyon, go to Canyon Bar 10 on the north side. But go LIGHT. There's 8800 foot mountains on each side, in this side canyon to the GCN which comes in from the NORTH. There's a ranching operation there that is now supplying the river rafters. 122.8 and they know you're there. Have a soda and a walk south to the canyon edge. Yu're gonna need a GCN sectional and a handheld GPS to fly the corridors easily, though I used to do it by dead reckoning.

Flagstaff: DRIVE to Wupatki (the anasazi dwellings in the canyon about 15 NE of the town) and sunset crater. Drive up to the 11,000 foot meadow nestled in the four sisters (Mt. Humphreys) and picnic. Lowell Obervatory is on Mars Hill (remember Percival Lowell, and the nonplanet Pluto?).

Sedona has been described. 6000 msl. Be careful of the wind shear at the threshold to 03 on HMS Sedona. Land uphill (03), depart downhill (21) all other things near equal.

Goulding's lodge in Northern Az on the UT border is a must. Have lunch and you can just seen the US cavalry come around the Buttes where Chuck Jones drew Roadrunner and The John Ford Production Co. did all the John Wayne Westerns. It's a nice lodge, too....founded by Bruce Babbitt's Grandfather in the Navajo trade. Just don't leave anything in a plane overnight.

I could go on and on.

Thanks Pete. If we have time we might do that. We may need to plan for that next time. Someone on another forum mentioned the Marfa Lights. Has anybody here ever seen the mysterious lights?

when I was there I tried one night but never saw the lights. Stopping in Marfa would be well worth it. Burt will treat you right with some glider flying fun, and plus Dave Taylor is there!

Flagstaff: DRIVE to Wupatki (the anasazi dwellings in the canyon about 15 NE of the town) and sunset crater. Drive up to the 11,000 foot meadow nestled in the four sisters (Mt. Humphreys) and picnic. Lowell Obervatory is on Mars Hill (remember Percival Lowell, and the nonplanet Pluto?).
All good ideas.

If you want to spend a day or so in Flagstaff, you can get a Park Service card for $20 or so that's valid for Sunset Crater, Wupatki, etc. and admits 2 or 4 people. It's a good deal.

In Flagstaff, I'd recommend the Little America Hotel. It's actually a pretty nice place, and the FBO usually can get rates around $70. Much nicer than the Best Westerns, etc.

Definitely also check out the visitor center in Flagstaff (they're in the train/amtrak building in the center of town). They're incredible nice and usually have good recommendations, too.

If you're looking for a place to eat and you like Mexican food and don't mind college students, the Black Bean is pretty amazing. They've got some great salsas.

Like Bruce mentioned, Lowell Observatory is a nice place to visit. It's a bit pricey (like $12/person or so), but well worth it on a clear night. One of the few places I know of where you can actually look through a large telescope.

I could go on, too...then again, Flagstaff probably isn't your main destination for this trip :)

-Felix

You just need three POA folks who each want a one-week "vacation" out in the peace and quiet of the rurals, with an on-site runway.... :yes:
That's easier said than done. ;) Are you volunteering? :yes: Can you drive (and work on) an old tractor? :) Do you love kitties? I don't want to take them to kitty jail. :no: We don't have a basement and it will be the peak of tornado season up here. Y'all come! :D

I assume you're talking about the $100 fee to land there?

Bastards, the whole lot of 'em.
Nick, I like your new avatar. At least I understand this one. ;)

I was planning to land at GCN instead of 1G4, but now that might change again.

i sometimes wish i haven't committed myself to flying like crazy all summer. a week at the farm would be a great vacation...:(

Let me know if you need me to mow the lawn.
Dave - I think at 08MO it's called the runway :rolleyes:

Depending on the time available my favorite route for the KEMT-KOVE trip is along the coast. You need to avoid the Vandenberg restricted areas, as far as I know it is always hot, but other than that you can fly just off shore up to Petaluma and then head inland. The only problem may be transiting San Francisco Class B on V27 may take you an uncomfortable distance off shore for a little ways but the view is worth it.

The attached route with a jog inland for lunch at Matthews at Paso Robles is 500nm.

Joe

Attachments

• KEMT-KOVE.png
    KEMT-KOVE.png
    662.7 KB · Views: 20
If you're going to operate in that area, make sure you get a Grand Canyon VFR sectional. I borrowed Grant's and was a little worried when I realized it was last updated in 1996 but that's still the 'current' chart. There are a lot of VFR tour/traffic corridors that make crossing the canyon feasible.
Diana, let me know if you want to borrow it. OTOH,you may want to get and keep your own, all marked up with the routes you flew, as a memento. The offer's out there, though.

Dave - I think at 08MO it's called the runway :rolleyes:

Depending on the time available my favorite route for the KEMT-KOVE trip is along the coast. You need to avoid the Vandenberg restricted areas, as far as I know it is always hot, but other than that you can fly just off shore up to Petaluma and then head inland. The only problem may be transiting San Francisco Class B on V27 may take you an uncomfortable distance off shore for a little ways but the view is worth it.

The attached route with a jog inland for lunch at Matthews at Paso Robles is 500nm.

Joe
That's a good route. After EUGEN, I'd go direct OVE through the class B and past SFO on the eastern side. VFR through the class B is almost always possible at a reasonable altitude, or you could stay low and fly between Oakland and SFO (makes for a nice view of SF).

I'd also stop at KHAF on the way...

-Felix

That's easier said than done. ;) Are you volunteering? :yes: Can you drive (and work on) an old tractor? :) Do you love kitties? I don't want to take them to kitty jail. :no: We don't have a basement and it will be the peak of tornado season up here. Y'all come! :D

What weeks are you trying to cover? Give us dates!

My head is getting all puffed up here! Hope it doesn't 'splode!
If Diana is to visit west Texas, I will be the only one to benefit.
Dave, you're sweet. :) I've been trying to get down there for over three years now. Hopefully by putting Marfa at the beginning of our trip, it will actually work out this time. :yes: I hope you guys will be home when we plan to be there.

What weeks are you trying to cover? Give us dates!
We plan to leave around May 8th or so.

What does it smell like? Are there stockades there?

Yup stockades. It smells really awful. Also, there's nothing worth seeing in DHT. Tiny little town with one less than halfway decent restaurant and a bunch of fast food joints.

I will go to the calendar now and book the entire month of May off, for you guys.
:) If it was like the weather last May when I tried to cross Texas to get to Marfa, it might take a whole month! At least we'll have the Garmin 496 with us this time.

Diana, let me know if you want to borrow it. OTOH,you may want to get and keep your own, all marked up with the routes you flew, as a memento. The offer's out there, though.
Grant, thanks for the offer. :yes: I'm still trying to figure out what to do about the Grand Canyon. It would probably help to be able to see the chart with the routes so I can visualize it better. I'm hoping to follow Bruce's suggestion about going to the north side.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not yet.
seeing as how you originally said you wanted to fly low, I thought I'd mention that if you want to fly over the Grand Canyon, you have to fly either 10,500ft or 11,500.
Skyvector.com has the Grand Canyon sectional with all of the corridors and altitudes.
Flying that high gives me a headache.

Oh, that might be a problem. Never even had the Citabria that high before.

Me too...my body hates it and I'm miserable that high.

You only have to fly that high if you are going to cross the canyon. You can get a good view flying along the edge outside the Special Flight Rules Area. But the ground ther is up in the 7000' range.

Joe

Sue had me cut her out of this one 'cause she was a smidge heavy at the time..... Canyon Bar 10!

Attachments

• Whitmore,small.jpg
    Whitmore,small.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 39
Sue had me cut her out of this one 'cause she was a smidge heavy at the time..... Canyon Bar 10!
I'm convinced. :) We'll figure out a way to land at this one. :yes: I see that it's listed as a dirt strip and there might be livestock on the runway. Bruce, which airplane were you flying when you landed there?

It looks like they have meals and lodging there as well.

Back to flying high, there isn't a service ceiling listed in my Citabria POM (not that we're going that high). Don't most airplanes have a service ceiling listed?

Last edited:
Tell Sue that there's no picture of her that's unflattering, any more than there is one of Diana, Leslie, or any of the other ladies in our lives!

Oh, that might be a problem. Never even had the Citabria that high before.

Me too...my body hates it and I'm miserable that high.

FWIW, a day of acclimation to high altitudes usually cures my headaches.
I live at sea level, and the few times that I had to fly to high level places, I felt like total crap the first day, but would always wake up the second day feeling fine.

So, Ms Diana, perhaps you can acclimate to the high altitudes a little at a time.
Maybe go to SAF first, get rid of the headaches, and continue west.

My last X/C trip was KSEE-KSEZ-via the Grand Canyon to KSAF. My head was pounding by the end of the day, as we had flown most of the trip at over 10,000 feet. When I woke up in KSAF the next morning, I felt fine, and was totally comfortable flying at those high altitudes.

Back