Flying to Belize

Thanks, Spike. :)

The planned route at the moment is to go down to Florida, top off, and then go to Belize non-stop while flying over Cozumel. It would be shorter by a bit to go via New Orleans are, but then the non-stop distance to Belize is longer than I'm happy with, especially given alternate reserves, etc. I could plan a Mexican fuel stop, but then I have a great deal of paperwork just for a fuel stop.

Going from MSY to Belize or Cancun you lose radar coverage over the Gulf for awhile. If you do fly non-radar on airways I aways suggest offsetting your course by a mile or so to the right.

I think Delta had / has a program to that effect called S.L.O.P. (Strategic Lateral Offset Program).

The idea is todays GPS receivers are too accurate. Two planes on the same airway at the same altitude are very likely to make contact. As opposed to LORAN or VORs it's not likely given the inherent errors of those nav systems.

Anyway, Departing from KEYW sounds like the better plan.

Going from MSY to Belize or Cancun you lose radar coverage over the Gulf for awhile. If you do fly non-radar on airways I aways suggest offsetting your course by a mile or so to the right.

I think Delta had / has a program to that effect called S.L.O.P. (Strategic Lateral Offset Program).

The idea is todays GPS receivers are too accurate. Two planes on the same airway at the same altitude are very likely to make contact. As opposed to LORAN or VORs it's not likely given the inherent errors of those nav systems.

Anyway, Departing from KEYW sounds like the better plan.

Very true on flying over the Gulf from MSY, especially at 6,000 ft. That ends up being a bit of a pain as well, I've always made my position reports via airliners. Good idea on the planned offset from the airways - I'll do that in the future over that area.

From KEYW you talk to Havanna and Merida centers with radar contact virtually the whole way, even at bug-smashing altitudes.

Somebody needs to loan Ted a GoPro Hero 3 HD and about 64GB x 12 SD cards.

I'm terrible about taking pictures and videos. I always bring the camera and video camera with me - but rarely get the pictures that I should. When Laurie comes along, she does an excellent job with the camera, but I'll be doing this trip solo.

Things are progressing. Got a handler worked out, got my Jepp Trip Kit on its way as well. Since we get the full Americas database anyway (need it for our Canadian trips), got all the airports loaded in.

I'll be heading to the following coordinates:

16.537306, -88.361419

Which is listed by Google Maps as "Placencia Sidewalk". :hairraise:

The pick-up is in Placencia (PLJ). 1900 ft strip without obstacles. I'll be planning on going in with about 1/3 fuel, and the load is relatively light with 3 humans, 14 cats, and 2 dogs. It should be a beautiful view.

I am very familiar w/ placencia. We were there 5 times over the last 4 years. The strip is a bumpy gravel / dirt. There could be potholes depending on if they have kept up with the rainy season revenge. It is real short and you have the ocean on each side. It's a East / West runway. Both Belizean carriers operate Caravans and 206's. All fixed gear for a reason!!

If you have time, stop at Francis Ford Coppola's "Turtle Inn". Excellent food and drink. Wendy's restaurant offers local cuisine and their lime juice is superb!

This is important!! If you plan to stick around there into the evening hours, make sure you cover every ounce of you with deet or equiv. The mosquitoes are the worse we ever saw. They will eat you alive, literally!

The sidewalk you refer to is a small sidewalk that starts from the main road past Turtle Inn and weaves through shops and homes. It ends at the water.

Lot's of Ex-pat's moving into Central America so Placencia, BZ is growing in a positive way. Hope to be joining our fellow ex-pats in about 10 years!
Safe travels!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I'll keep a watch out for the potholes. Will just be there overnight, but will make sure to cover up with mosquito repellant.

When was the last time you were there? Curious.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep a watch out for the potholes. Will just be there overnight, but will make sure to cover up with mosquito repellant.

When was the last time you were there? Curious.

2 years ago. Friends moved to Roatan, Honduras and we now spend most of our time there.

Someone mentioned Rick Gardner from a previous post;see below. Rick is a wealth of info and would be the guy I would reach out to. If he does not know, then he will find out.

Re: Flying to Belize
Jim Parker at http://www.caribbeanflyingadventures.com or Rick Gardner at http://www.caribbeanskytours.com/ would also be good folks to reach out to to help with the planning. They're both really accessible.

Google Earth is showing the Caravan on the "ramp"..:dunno:

16.537306, -88.361419

2 years ago. Friends moved to Roatan, Honduras and we now spend most of our time there.

Gotcha. I'll let you know what it looks like when I get there. :)

Google Earth is showing the Caravan on the "ramp"..:dunno:

16.537306, -88.361419

The picture form Google Earth is apparently about 8 years old, so it might look a bit different now. I'll report.

The Wikipedia article on the airport is terrible (same goes for on a bunch of the Canadian airports I fly to). One of these days, I'm going to go through and update them.

Gotcha. I'll let you know what it looks like when I get there. :)

The picture form Google Earth is apparently about 8 years old, so it might look a bit different now. I'll report.

The Wikipedia article on the airport is terrible (same goes for on a bunch of the Canadian airports I fly to). One of these days, I'm going to go through and update them.

Here ya go Ted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojUjmV5X9_0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=7l-hSJLhU9A&NR=1

Doesn't get much more accurate then this!!

The mosquito warning is legit- I came home from Belize with a couple if Bot Flies (google it, if you dare). Good fun.

Looked at the videos. Looks like it will be a beautiful flight in... and out. :)

Ted, does this mean that the 310 is back up, or is expected to be?

Ted, does this mean that the 310 is back up, or is expected to be?

Not up yet, but will be.

Cloud Nine hasn't yet raised the full amount needed for the overhauls. Don't forget to make your Christmas donation! :yes:

Ted, I didn't hear anyone insinuating anything about Cloud Nine, just pointing out that people can take advantage of good organizations for nefarious purposes. Besides, I know you've already had encounters with (over)zealous DEA folks! :)

Ted I agree with Grant I think Tony was just expressing the same concern I did when we spoke. It's not a challenge to C9's philanthropic mission just a concern that someone would use your good work for their own purpose. Fly Safe my friend

The pick-up is in Placencia (PLJ).
I was wondering why Placencia sounded familiar. Then I realized it's where one of my relatives went to elope. :D

I'm sure it will be a great trip!

Funny thing! We have a t-shirt from the Placencia Animal shelter (PAS). Great group of people!

Ted, PAS was located beside the Grocery store unless they moved.

This brings back memories. I practically grew up in Belize from when I was 9 yrs old to 18, but have never been to Placencia. I lived in the northern town of Corozal and my house was a block from the Caribbean sea. Nice memories, missed it sometimes. Visiting Placencia is on my bucket list :)

Made it to Belize. Easy trip. No weather to speak of - just climbed through a 500 ft layer from 1800-2300 leaving Ohio, and smooth sailing after that. Cheap self-serve fuel at Leesburg and expensive, full-serve fuel at Key West. They have improved the FBO there substantially since my last visit about 2 years ago, though.

Having a handler makes things much easier. My stop including clearing customs and getting fuel was only about 30 minutes. Can't beat that - in Cozumel it was at least 90 minute sinbound and outbound. He earned his pay in my opinion.

Made it to Placencia (which the government advertises as a 2100 x 25 ft strip, but feels wider). It is paved in good condition. With the 310 being tall it's easy, but the vegetation is trimmed anyway. Got the picture to prove I made it.

Flying down here is easy, at least it has been so far.

The short stops and turnarounds are just what you get used to when you're doing this kind of trip. Your passengers, being caged, don't get to get out and stretch. If you take a long stop, that means that they're sitting in the plane with no ventilation. That's not very healthy for them. Plus, when you're talking about long flying days (today was about 9 on the hobbs, I think, which isn't bad for the distance covered) and wanting to get somewhere by a certain time, there's not much room for stopping.

Basically I just want to get in, get out, and get back home to my wife and baby.

Awesome trip report, Ted. Especially that last line. I'm sure Master Robert misses you already! Can't wait to see the pictures. Did the video somebody posted earlier help much?

The videos helped some, when I spotted the runway there was no doubt what it was.

One of these days, I need to go and update the Wikipedia pages for a number of these middle of nowhere airports I've flown into. The most annoying thing is that there aren't any good PIREPs out there on these airports. They aren't bad at all, and make for some neat GA destinations.

I'll write up something more detailed when I get home. I'm tired. Time for bed.

Did Belize lift that state of emergency?:D
Have a safe flight back. I hope US customs is easy for you. I'll be gear to hear your report on that.

Made it to Placencia (which the government advertises as a 2100 x 25 ft strip, but feels wider). It is paved in good condition. With the 310 being tall it's easy, but the vegetation is trimmed anyway. Got the picture to prove I made it.

Glad it's improved and thanks for the pirep! Safe travels!

Well looks like he is on his way back. Looks like he will be shooting the approach in. :wink2:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N488SP
[FONT=Monospace,Courier][SIZE=+1]KILN 291957Z 2920/3018 27010KT 2SM BR OVC010
TEMPO 2922/3001 1 1/2SM -SHSN

FM300300 28010G16KT 5SM BR OVC015
FM301300 24009KT P6SM BKN015

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Monospace,Courier][SIZE=+1]KCVG 292047Z 2921/3024 27010KT 3SM BR VCSH SCT013 BKN021 OVC027
TEMPO 2921/2924 2SM -SHSN
FM300100 29010KT 5SM BR OVC015

FM300800 28008KT P6SM BKN015
FM301300 24006KT P6SM BKN015[/SIZE][/FONT]

Reviewing the flight activity, We might have a new front runner in the Iron Tuckus Award.

Reviewing the flight activity, We might have a new front runner in the Iron Tuckus Award.

This was nothing hour wise. I did 14 hours in one day in the Aztec coming up on 3 years ago. LA to NYC non-stop. I did that once, and once was enough.

This trip was overall more challenging, though. When you wake up at 16N north and go to sleep at 39N, there's a lot between point A and point B.

Well looks like he is on his way back. Looks like he will be shooting the approach in. :wink2:

Yeah, shot the ILS 29 at Butler County. Decided to wimp out and not go for the non-precision to a short, narrow runway with a gusting crosswind and unknown snow removal and moderate icing reported in the clouds for the descent.

Well, made it back. 18-some hours of flying in 2 days. The new engines in the 310 did a great job (I'll write a separate post about the engines). The increase in TAS of around 10-15 kts or so was a big help on a trip that long, as it saved about 2 hours total flight time. When you're doing that much flying, that's significant.

Flying to Belize is simple. The procedures for flying into the country are pretty much the same as for flying into Mexico, so if you've done Mexico, Belize will be familiar. The country is small, and only has one airport with instrument approaches. Since the weather is pretty much VFR or massive storm, that's not a big deal. Customs was easy to deal with. If anyone flies down there, I will gladly recommend the handler that I used. He was polite and efficient - my inbound ground stop was only 30 minutes (including fuel) and outbound was 45 minutes (also including fuel). He gets you to the front of the line and gets all the paperwork filled out rapidly. This is worth every penny, in my opinion. Having done it myself in Cozumel (where you need 4 stamps in triplicate), that process takes about 60-90 minutes if you know what you're doing. The Belize airport folk said you technically don't need a handler for GA flights, but since it requires 5 stamps in quintuplicate (not exaggerating), just pay the couple hundred bucks extra.

According to the civil aviation office, the Placencia strip is about 2100 x 25 ft, although the local commuter airlines (who use Caravans) say it's 1900 ft. It felt wider than that, but maybe I just don't have a good understanding of how wide 25 ft is. The 310 was plenty comfortable with the runway, both coming in and going out. Even with 3 people, 14 cats, 2 dogs, and luggage on a 75 degree morning, we were off the ground pretty quickly with runway to spare. It helps that there are no obstacles on either side. You do need to get permission to land there from the civil aviation office, but that's simple enough. In the civil aviation office, the woman was trying to explain to me how to use a non-towered field. I said "We have those in the States." "Oh! Ok, so you know how to fly into them." "Yep, I'll be fine." They use 122.80 as CTAF.

Then there was the flight home. Belize customs needs their departure tax from you on the way out, as well as more paperwork. Then you're set, and it's back out over the Gulf, passing through Mexico and Cuba before making it to Key West. The customs folks there are friendly and easy to deal with, and didn't waste any time with the understanding that it was warm out, and we had a plane full of animals.

The leg going up to Alabama was a bit challenging. Headwinds turned from a predicted 20 kts into 50 kts, cutting into fuel reserves. There was also icing in the clouds. I requested block altitudes from center to stay above the clouds, but as low as I could still make it to minimize headwinds. At one point towards our destination, center had requested we descend into the clouds for traffic. I responded "Unable due to icing concerns, but if you can descend me below the clouds we can do that" which was greeted with "Stay where you for now - what altitude would you need?" Very helpful.

In the end, I made the call to divert to an airport 30 nm from where we were intending to land. That's perhaps one of the most difficult diversion decisions to make. It was also a good one.

By this point it was night with MVFR ceilings. A short VFR flight over, for which I was happy to have the terrain feature on the 530W as an extra set of eyes to look out. Made it, dropped everyone off, and then it was time for one last leg back home.

I had to climb back through the same icing layer. However, it was only about 3,000-4,000 ft thick. With about 2/3 fuel and just me in the plane, I left the engines at maximum continuous power, and was seeing sustained 2,000 FPM climbs at 160 MPH indicated through the layer. Got through it before there was time to accumulate anything, and was cruising home.

Approaching home, the ceilings were lowish, and our new home base is a 2800 ft strip (still relatively short for a 310) that was going to have a direct gusting crosswind. Plus there was uncertain snow removal. As I got closer, I asked Cincinnati Approach if they had any icing reports in the clouds, and they'd received a report of moderate rime icing about an hour prior.

I considered just doing a look-see at the home airport, but decided I didn't like the option of building up the plane with ice on the descent for a non-precision GPS approach to a short runway that I need to have a slow approach speed for, find out I can't land there anyway (or have black ice and a crosswind that blew me off the runway), then have to slog along in the ice to do the ILS into the neighboring airport, so I decided to just shoot the ILS into the neighboring airport and catch a ride home. Ferried the 310 back to home base today - a beautiful, sunny day.

I can count the number of times I've had to divert on one hand, and two of them were yesterday. But fuel and icing are two things that one is wise to be wary of.

Next time, I want to stay there for longer than dinner and a good night's rest!

Wow glad you made it home safely. Pretty nice report and I particularly enjoy the thought process and decision making for a newbie like myself.

Back