Flying to Belize

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
Anyone done it? Anything I should be concerned about?

Got a request for a flight out of there, sounds like fun. Done the Mexico thing a bunch of times, but never Belize.

Flew over it numerous times but didn't stop. It's part of that federation with Honduras and others and said to be OK for GA. I speak almost daily with a pilot friend from Honduras and will ask him today.

Got a request for a flight out of there, sounds like fun. Done the Mexico thing a bunch of times, but never Belize.

Much appreciated, local knowledge would be helpful. If the trip does become a go, I'd also be curious to get any required info on customs procedures and flight plans. Due to lack of range, I'd end up using Cozumel as a fuel stop.

Proposed flight would involve going to PLJ - Placencia.

I have been to that area a lot, but always 121 so I didn't really have to think much, just drive. Seems pretty strait forward.

If you're headed there for a dive trip.... I'm extremely jealous!

Yeah, if you want a co-pilot, navigator, dive instructor, ballast, or drinking buddy, just drop me a line. I'm up for a Belize trip anytime. Never been in a GA plane, but I've driven there some, and of course I speak the local language(those who've been to Belize will get the irony).

Your bringing McAfee out of the country aren't you?:lol:

No co-pilots needed, but thanks for the offer.

Trip isn't for certain yet (lot of things to look at and decide), but it'll be a Cloud Nine trip.

Some guys in the RFC club did it in a Bo, said no issues. I went into the tower there at Goldson (the international airport at Belize City), and visited with them about it, they were very friendly. Unless something has changed, Goldson has the only IAPs in the country.

Nice folks. Good beer.

It's one of the only other countries in the world that uses the Fahrenheit scale...aaand that's about all I know about Belize.

Iguana rescue?

No co-pilots needed, but thanks for the offer.

Trip isn't for certain yet (lot of things to look at and decide), but it'll be a Cloud Nine trip.

Iguana rescue?

Helping out some folks in animal rescue who are moving back stateside. When you have 16 pets, it's hard to do via commercial.

Helping out some folks in animal rescue who are moving back stateside. When you have 16 pets, it's hard to do via commercial.

Write up and lots of photos please!

Write up and lots of photos please!

Will do! But it's also not for certain yet, we're just in the talking phase.

The first thing that I do before committing to anything like this is a bit of research to make sure that I can, in fact, do it.

Bring lawyers, guns and money.

Bring lawyers

At first I thought, "Why?" on this idea. Them I remembered you might be thinking that this is an animal rescue flight and Ted would be retuning those sharks back to their natural habitat.

I've been to Belize quite a few times. I'd recommend paying for a handler. I always have and they make the whole thing much smoother. If coming from Florida don't forget the Cuban overflight permit.

I've been to Belize quite a few times. I'd recommend paying for a handler. I always have and they make the whole thing much smoother. If coming from Florida don't forget the Cuban overflight permit.

I've not used a handler before, might not be a bad idea in this case. I always handled Cozumel and Cancun customs myself and it was a pain the first time. It looks like the international airport is much smaller in Belize (logical). What did you fly there and did you ever land somehere besides the international airport? I've been asked about landing at Placencia.

No overflight permit is required if you go MZBZ B764 CZM G765 to Key West. Done the G765 a number of times, and even though it goes through the inner ADIZ it's considered an international airway, with no permits required.

Follow-up question to Captain (or anyone else who'd know): recommendations on who to use for a handler if I go that route and rough cost? I'll be taking the 310.

Ted, you aren't rescuing pharmaceuticals are you?

Well, it looks like the trip is on. Planning for between Christmas and New Years. I'll be sure to post a write-up.

You might have a vet x-ray those little hot dogs before crossing a boarder with them. :) You have no idea of the cruelty capable by some seeking profit.

Not my first time at the rodeo, Tony...

Folks, the insinuations of this nature got old a few years ago. While I realize they're mostly in a joking manner, if you think what I do with my time and my ratings is a waste of time and AvGas, keep it to yourself. It's akin to those who say we're just rich folks flying our toys around for hamburgers to waste gas and contribute to global warming. I don't talk about Cloud Nine on here much because I know folks here aren't interested in it, so when I do ask a question, I'd appreciate the same. Thank you.

Last edited:
Is this the Cloud Nine you are referring to?

If so sounds like a great way to spend your time. The videos on the home page hit the extremes of emotion though...first one with the dog in Chile had me all happy and choked up a little and then the little girl in Haiti had me...well, I don't know the emotion. Tough to watch though. I had to stop half way through it. Hope she turned out okay...

Edit to add:
Doh, just saw your signature line. Yup, that's the one. Sorry, sometimes I do miss the obvious!

Ted, I didn't hear anyone insinuating anything about Cloud Nine, just pointing out that people can take advantage of good organizations for nefarious purposes. Besides, I know you've already had encounters with (over)zealous DEA folks! :)

Jim Parker at http://www.caribbeanflyingadventures.com or Rick Gardner at http://www.caribbeanskytours.com/ would also be good folks to reach out to to help with the planning. They're both really accessible.

Very cool Ted. Good luck!

Yeah, that's all I saw it as also. Just a warning.

Ted, I still owe you a magazine. I saw it in the back of the Yukon yesterday and realized I still haven't made it to USPS. D'oh.

Then Karen stole the Yukon and left me with her POS VW so the adjuster could meet me easier than chasing her around all day. Ha.

OOC, Ted, do you run into any special quarantine issues when you're moving the pets as a non-owner? Or would the owner have the same issues, if any?

OOC, Ted, do you run into any special quarantine issues when you're moving the pets as a non-owner? Or would the owner have the same issues, if any?

Quarantine rules depend on the country one is exporting from, as well as the state one is importing to. For example, from Mexico there was a quarantine of 2 weeks required, but it could be done on the Mexican side, and the proof was that the paaperwork said it was done. Massachusetts is significantly more concerned about quarantining from other states (our trips landing there are usually from Texas) and requires a 2 week quarantine in Massachusetts upon arrival.

I'm not sure about Belize specifically. I have always placed that burden on the people/organizations requesting the transport, and this is no exception.

From a customs perspective, all they've ever cared about is to match the animals with the paperwork, and make sure that said paperwork is filled out correctly. They've always been both professional and speedy about checking the paperwork and getting us cleared so we can refuel and keep on going to our destination. We don't have to wait at Key West (or wherever) and have the animals inspected by a vet, for instance. They've never cared that I'm not the legal owner, but have asked who the legal owner is, where they're going, etc. I suppose they see enough weird things coming through that some guy in an Aztec with 38 cats is no big deal.

Ted, you and Laurie are alright. To you both, I raise up a hearty, "Woof!" and a vigorous, "Mrow!"

---

What route are you all taking, Ted?

Ted, you and Laurie are alright. To you both, I raise up a hearty, "Woof!" and a vigorous, "Mrow!"

---

What route are you all taking, Ted?

Thanks, Spike. :)

The planned route at the moment is to go down to Florida, top off, and then go to Belize non-stop while flying over Cozumel. It would be shorter by a bit to go via New Orleans are, but then the non-stop distance to Belize is longer than I'm happy with, especially given alternate reserves, etc. I could plan a Mexican fuel stop, but then I have a great deal of paperwork just for a fuel stop.

Sounds like a fine plan. Where in Belize are you going - just to Belize City (real garden spot, that), or are you going in-country after clearing at the "big" airport?

Sounds like a fine plan. Where in Belize are you going - just to Belize City (real garden spot, that), or are you going in-country after clearing at the "big" airport?

The pick-up is in Placencia (PLJ). 1900 ft strip without obstacles. I'll be planning on going in with about 1/3 fuel, and the load is relatively light with 3 humans, 14 cats, and 2 dogs. It should be a beautiful view.

Back