Flying through military airspace

WDD

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Vintage Snazzy (so my adult children say)
Home airport is KRYY northwest Atlanta metro area (class D) I'd like to fly to PDK (class D) north of Atlanta, but to do that I'd fly through / transitioning through Dobbins Air Reserve base (also class D). I'm thinking I just call the Dobbin tower and request permission to fly through at 3500 or so after I'm airborne. KRYY and Dobbins air space is contiguous / share a boundary.

Not restricted, no MOA, no TFR's of course.

Is it that simple, or is there something else I need to do when flying through military airspace?

It’s that simple. ATL approach might even own a portion of the top part of the Delta...either way, they could also allow you to transit it.

I’ve shot several PAR approaches at Dobins in a 172 many years ago. They always seemed happy to see/talk to planes. They are pretty slow.

it's been a while, but I flew out of RYY for around 10 months back in 1999. My last flight out of RYY before moving away to FL was a low approach down Dobbin's runway. I was with the instructor I had started my commercial work with in a rented 182RG. I'd been flying mostly 172RG's and 172's ....Felt like I was tearing it up going low and fast like that, wheels up and full throttle, but it wasn't missed on me the fact that to them we were creeping along like the bug smasher that we were. Still, it was a nice way to say goodbye to her.

Several years earlier when doing my training in VA, we did several practice low approaches into Langley AFB. I especially remember going there while working on my instrument rating, doing practice PAR Approaches.

Almost like any other airport....just don't land.

If it is just blue dashed lines standard D procedures apply, military or civilian.

What happens when you ask KRYY Ground for Flight Following prior to departure to PDK with Dobbins Transition?

If they are adjacent, they should know the best procedure and if transitions or handoffs are possible.

You shouldn't have to be fussing with a cold to Dobbins at a critical phase of flight like climb out, they likely have a MOU and procedure already in place between Towers.

We have that similar in the Bay Area with RHV adjacent to SJC. RHV will coordinate and hand you off right to SJC Tower for transition.

Last edited:
I’ve flown in/out of it a bunch. One of our more popular hospitals is in their D. There is no FF with RYY tower so no hand off and I’ve never gotten any pre coordination either. In fact, one our pilots got chewed out once for not being up MGE prior to penetration from the north.

So yeah, normal comm procedures with Dobbins just like any other tower.

You can easily go to PDK without touching Dobbins airspace. If taking off 9, just go runway heading til past Dobbins and turn south. If 27, ask tower for a right turnout and do same, staying a bit north of 27 inbound. It might add 2 min to the trip. Tower will not do FF on the ground, but they might coordinate with Dobbins for you, I've never asked.

I used to fly over Plattsburgh AFB when it had nuke FB-111s on the ramp... No problem overflying as long as you kept south of the runway, which kept you away from them. You may get similar instructions but overall not a big deal, I would guess...a phone call to the tower is a good suggestion...

Yes I could skirt the Dobbins airspace if I had to. But getting smarter about these things means I only skirt airspace when I have to. Always trying to get better.

Yesterday I was flying over grand forks and the thought crossed my mind to ask approach if they could somehow fit me for a low approach over at the AFB. It was too late by the time the thought crossed my mind, but next time I will call anyway. There is a TFR over the AFB, a standing one pretty much, but will ask and see

A simple radio call should work.

Works great for that one particular time. Because, the answer will be "yes" or "no".

But, if you want to know if it will always be "no", or might occasionally be "yes" (or even why), a simple phone call can be much more useful. And, most of them would love to impart some knowledge to the general public about their airspace.

Back