Flying through a TFR over Class B?

kenjr

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KenJr
Hey Folks,

I'm thinking about flying down to Galveston, TX with my bro-in-law on wed to play some golf and eat some seafood sitting on the pier...gonna be gorgeous weather.

I was doing some research and noticed a giant TFR over the Houston area...basically the entire Class B...on the day I'm going to fly out. I'm coming from KGTU to KGLS so I'd just clip the bottom half of it but curious how ATC handles this when you're on FF? Do they clear you through or direct you around the TFR? I don't see any altitudes on it so no idea what to expect...or decide to go somewhere else...

Have you read the notam? If in the ring between 10 & 32 nm you must be on a flight plan, either IFR or VFR, not FF. and ATC "may authorize transit", may clear you thru. Or not.

It's SFC to FL180. So, I'd say just go around it. I mean, the difference between direct on a VFR flight plan squawking discrete (per the NOTAM) and not being on the radio with anybody while drawing a tangent line to the 32NM ring, is circa 10NM difference for your airfield pair. big whoop. Go around it.

Enjoy the coast!

I'd file vfr, get ff and do what they tell me when I get there. Close fp on the ground. Have fun.

I'd file LBX then N.E. and follow the coast. Houston controllers are usually very accommodating but may be very busy at the time.
Flight Following is a must.
Have a good flight

I wouldn't fly through the outer ring. I really don't want to bust a VIP TFR, and that's what would happen if I accidentally squawked 1200 or my transponder failed. For some transponders like mine, squawking 1200 can happen by pushing just one button.

Basically, I view the transponder (and the squawk) as a single-point failure that would lead to losing my certificate.

Besides flying around it, you can also avoid it according to the time of day. If you intend to enter the ring after the scheduled end of the TFR, I would use flight following, and make sure that you and the controller are on tape verifying in an exchange of words that the TFR is no longer in effect.

Last edited:
I wouldn't fly through the outer ring. I really don't want to bust a VIP TFR, and that's what would happen if I accidentally squawked 1200 or my transponder failed.
Pushing the wrong button and squawking 1200 while inside such airspace is one thing, but I don't think the FAA has ever busted anyone if their transponder actually failed while inside a TFR or B-space or the like after they were already radar identified/transponder observed prior to entry (unless they didn't do whatever ATC said to do at that point).

I'd file LBX then N.E. and follow the coast. Houston controllers are usually very accommodating but may be very busy at the time.
Flight Following is a must.
Have a good flight

I've also had very good experiences with Houston approach. They seem to understand little airplanes and know we aren't generally a problem even though we may only be five miles from their precious big airport. In comparison Denver seems to get the heebee jeebees when I get within 15 miles of DEN. Then again, maybe it's something I'm doing!:D In my one experience with Denver Approach and a presidential TFR they were nervous when I got within about five miles of the "no-fly" cylinder. They demanded I stay more than two miles from the cylinder.

Anyway, file, pick up transponder code, activate the plan, be in contact with ATC and fly. You aren't a threat and you aren't breaking or bending any rules. Enjoy the day.

Pushing the wrong button and squawking 1200 while inside such airspace is one thing, but I don't think the FAA has ever busted anyone if their transponder actually failed while inside a TFR or B-space or the like after they were already radar identified/transponder observed prior to entry (unless they didn't do whatever ATC said to do at that point).

With past TFRs in NYC, this language has existed (referring to the Inner Core, not the outer rings but still gives ATC's expectations):

All aircraft shall squawk the ATC assigned discrete beacon code
continuously while operating within the TFR. In the event of a
transponder failure, the pilot shall advise ATC and ATC will provide the
most direct course to exit the lateral limits of the TFR

In the event of a
transponder failure, the pilot shall advise ATC and ATC will provide the
most direct course to exit the lateral limits of the TFR

Well, that's comforting, except how would you know that your transponder has failed?

On a slightly different note, I've heard from CFIs in recent years that they've been told by the FAA of large numbers of pilots busting a VIP TFR. The outcome for the certificate isn't pretty. One scenario that happens near Chicago: a pilot is on an IFR flight plan, and as he nears his destination at an untowered field, he cancels IFR, ATC acknowledges, and out of habit the pilot pushes the button to squawk VFR, before landing. He's in the TFR ring when he pushes that button. He's reported, and it's a bust. I might have some little detail of that wrong, but that's basically what happens.

Just not worth the risk, IMO. I'm staying out of all VIP TFRs as if they were poison.

Last edited:
...yeah, I'm just going to fly around it I think. :) Not worth the hassle...and as mentioned, it's not that far out of the way. I'll get FF with the intent to stay clear and see what they say.

well crap! Just got an email saying there's going to be a VIP TFR at Killeen (guess the POTUS is there for the military services) as well as over KAUS...so basically all over the place around my home airport at KGTU (you can see it on skyvector.com).

I don't want to cancel my trip - I guess I'll file a VFR flight plan and see if I can open it up on the ground with ATC...hopefully they'll be responsive to it given there's a TFR in their airspace vs me waiting to do it until I'm airborne.

I hope that's how it works - any advice?

Well, there are two separate requirements. A filed flight plan (VFR in your case), and a discrete transponder code assigned by ATC. ATC don't have to open your flight plan, you can do that with Flight Service on the phone.
Both ends of your route are tower airports so they should know the drill.
Bottom line:
1. Read and understand the NOTAMS. Understand the different times that the different TFRs are active.
2. Mark the TFR rings on a chart, or use a tablet that displays them
3. Don't enter the inner ring
4. File your flight plan and open it with Flight Service. Remember to close it again when you arrive.
5. Ensure you get a discrete transponder code from ground control, and that you're squawking it before takeoff and throughout the flight.

Back