Flying the St Louis Arch Tour

Radar Contact

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin
Another video...for those opposed to such aviation shenanigans...please skip this thread.

I am a terrible editor. It is a bit long. Sorry. From now on, I am breaking the longer flights into separate videos. For those that are interested, I fly from Chicago area down to St Louis and flyby the Arch. IFR flight in VMC. After the Arch, landed at DEC to eat. Gopro's quit and the restaurant was closed (even though FF said it was open). Cameras fixed, picked our IFR up in the air and landed back home at dusk with the runway lit up cool against the snow.

For those not wanting to spend 45 min of their life on it...the money shot of the arch is around 33:00-34:00ish.

For @mscard88 your personal segment is 24:00-24:15 ;)

We did show/explain flight progress strips that ATC uses (using my actual filed and re-routed strips from this flight) but it was broken up into several separate segments due to flying and all so I couldn't put an exact time on that ...sorry. It was on the way to St Louis.

As always, if you take the time to actually watch any of it and want to comment/give feedback on better filming/editing/flying, I'm all ears. Yes, I know it exceeds most attention spans. :) I will get better at this next time!

Another video...for those opposed to such aviation shenanigans...please skip this thread.

I am a terrible editor. It is a bit long. Sorry. From now on, I am breaking the longer flights into separate videos. For those that are interested, I fly from Chicago area down to St Louis and flyby the Arch. IFR flight in VMC. After the Arch, landed at DEC to eat. Gopro's quit and the restaurant was closed (even though FF said it was open). Cameras fixed, picked our IFR up in the air and landed back home at dusk with the runway lit up cool against the snow.

For those not wanting to spend 45 min of their life on it...the money shot of the arch is around 33:00-34:00ish.

For @mscard88 your personal segment is 24:00-24:15 ;)

We did show/explain flight progress strips that ATC uses (using my actual filed and re-routed strips from this flight) but it was broken up into several separate segments due to flying and all so I couldn't put an exact time on that ...sorry. It was on the way to St Louis.

As always, if you take the time to actually watch any of it and want to comment/give feedback on better filming/editing/flying, I'm all ears. Yes, I know it exceeds most attention spans. :) I will get better at this next time!

Wellllllll I have to say that was, hmmm, pleasant, very pleasant. But, I do like your 310 more I believe, no offense to her, GF I think right?

Funny I was flying in that general area years in a CRJ200 climbing to FL280 and passing FL260 I think when center asks if we'll be level at FL280 in so many minutes. A firm says I, and we kept our anemic climb going. Controller comes back once or twice more confirming we will make the restriction, and points out the traffic. It was AF1 at 270 at 11 o'clock, made the restriction and watch AF1 slide underneath us w/ Obama on board.

Liked the video, along with the added attraction you mentioned. :D

Think you mentioned she was ATC too. Were either of you or both military controllers? I forget if ya told me. I was USAF ATC.

Last edited:
Nice vid!

One minor correction, it's called "the riverfront tour". Done it many times while talking with CPS tower. It's a great trip to take newbies on and show them the cool things that can be done in a small plane.

Love the local ATC nickname for for the Stan Musial Bridge...

The Stan Span!

great video... best copilot ever... missed hearing the sound of those engines... envy your panel...

I thought the video length was fine. Try to shorten too much and they get chopped up.

Cant wait till I have my wife spooled up enough that she can help with the radio work. You have it good that your right seat is a controller and can step right in.

Thanks guys!

Think you mentioned she was ATC too. Were either of you or both military controllers? I forget if ya told me. I was USAF ATC.

I was Air Force...worked at Eglin as well. She went to the ATC program at Merrill Field through the University of Alaska.

great video... best copilot ever...
Thank you and I agree!

missed hearing the sound of those engines...
I had forgotten that I mentioned to him after the last video about not being able to hear the engines. Ditto!
Thanks for the recommendation last time Brian! I knew something seemed a little off and after putting it in this one, I agree that it does make it better. Does it sound like the correct ratio? Engine vs comm’s?

Thanks guys!

I was Air Force...worked at Eglin as well. She went to the ATC program at Merrill Field through the University of Alaska.

Is she from Alaska or just went there for school?

Thanks guys!

Yeah I thought you had told me that once. I was a dispersed controller from the 2nd CCG which was at Patrick back then. Worked RAPCON for about a year then tower. I was gone a lot that first year there, '81, with the controllers strike and other TDYs.

Thank you and I agree!

Thanks for the recommendation last time Brian! I knew something seemed a little off and after putting it in this one, I agree that it does make it better. Does it sound like the correct ratio? Engine vs comm’s?

Perfect.

The thought crossed my mind then I remembered I already upgraded to ADS-B in/out... no more squawking stand-by and watch this ya'll.

murica_o_1242011.jpg

I'm in WIFI hell right now and don't have cellular data to spend on a video. Lookin forward to watching it in a few days. How did you do the strips? That flight spanned two Centers. Do you have a way to get them in real time? Any airborne 'reroutes?' Gimmee a hint what happens at 24:00

Back