Flying the Gulf Coast - 12nm limits and coastal T-storms

T Shugart

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
tshugart3
Hello all,

Later this week I'm hoping to fly eastbound along the Gulf Coast, from TX to central FL.

A couple of questions for folks:
- it looks like there will be a fair bit of convective activity, but the forecast makes it look like it mostly ends at the coast. Is this typical, that the storms end along the coastline and you can maintain separation by flying a few miles from the coast?
- if I do get pushed out beyond 12nm from land, or choose to cross water beyond 12nm, are there any issues with leaving and then re-entering US territorial airspace? I used to do it routinely flying interisland in Hawaii, but was wondering if drug traffic and the like makes it trickier along the Gulf Coast?

Many thanks for any knowledge I could gain here!

Tom S.
'80 PA28-181

- if I do get pushed out beyond 12nm from land, or choose to cross water beyond 12nm, are there any issues with leaving and then re-entering US territorial airspace?

Take this with a grain of salt since it happened before 9/11.

I used to fly checks in the southeast. One leg of the route was from Tampa Bay to Mobile, IFR along the coast, not direct. I got pushed about 80 miles off shore due to the thunderstorms I had penetrated in a C-210. Since I was the only dummy in that area, ATC instructions were....''Just do what you need to do, and let us know when you can go direct Mobile.''

Last edited:
Just a few general points:
Thunderstorms can extend into the GOM but usually take a few hours to develop. Flying out past 12nm not an issue provided your transponder is on and working. Best to have a vest and ERIPB if you venture out farther or want to "cut the corner" to get to central FL. Also need to keep an eye out for helicopters flying offshore in certain areas along with the fish spotter aircraft.

My experience flying was in Florida, you’d see storms and cells and it was very easy to see and avoid them, since they are slow moving and typically stay in a particular area.

I’d recommend a life vest, flashlight, knife, satellite beacon, water and snacks (protein bars - such as an emergency survival pack). When flying outside of gliding distance, I like to check my engine temps and pressure are normal, and I aim to not change fuel tanks when over water if possible. I also look below for container ships (at that point of seeing a ship, I would be comfortable changing fuel tanks if needed), you can see the ships path in the water for tens of miles. If I have an incident, I would try to land close to the container ship in hopes of rescue. Also, do flight following or file a flight plan.

Pay close attention to the weather forecast . That route gets pop up thunderstorms on a daily basis,fly early in the morning. The controllers will do whatever they can to get you to your destination.

Be aware of the ADIZ. Within 12 miles of the shore at many places. Apalachicola for example to the Texas coast. The Offshore Helo operators all have a Letter of Agreement with Norad and have assigned xpndr codes. They can ignore the ADIZ, but you can't. The New Orleans sectional has a notice that E/W flight MUST have advisories in the Destin, P'cola area.
R-2908 is nestled against the shoreline between Mobile bay and KPNS. A Blue Angel practice area. They are active this time of the year. I have been cleared through it by calling PNS Approach when it was "cold."
Be aware of the Warning areas S of Mississippi. The ATC's in the area can advise you if they are "hot" or not. You do not need clearance to enter a Warning Area, but shame on you if you don't call FAA to determine if its active. I once entered W-155 WITHIN AN HOUR after FSS told me it was inactive and was targeted by a USN Destroyer shooting at a towed target. If your xpndr reply light comes on steady, look around.
VFR charts are OK. Consider the US GULF COAST HELO chart. Same scale as a sectional, but a whole lot more detail. Apalachicola to Corpus on one chart. There are a surprising number of coastal/offshore AWOS locations on that chart these days.
Be alert for fish spotters off LA. They sometime circle stacked up every 500' half a dozen at at a time. Listen for helo pilots on 123.4 and 123.45. Its the unofficial air to air freq. Your helo brothers will likely welcome you into the conversation and give you whatever help they can. An extra set of eyes in the cockpit would be a big help. Good luck. Let us know how it comes out.

Looking at the weather here….
I am not sure I’d do the flight this week.

Back