Flying the Florida East Coast??

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
I'm going to be in Ft Myers, and heading to St Augustine. My plan was to scoot past Okeechobee and fly up the coast for a better view than the center of Florida. Looking at the TAC and SEC charts I see:

R-2932 and 2933 overlying Cape Canaveral
R-2934 and 2935 to the north and south of Kennedy
W-497A/B offshore.

R-2932 Below 5000' Continuous
R-2933 5000' to UNL by NOTAM
R-2934 UNL by NOTAM
R-2935 11000 to UNL by NOTAM
W-497A/B UNL by NOTAM

I'm guessing there won't be a landing/launch when I'm flying through there, so 91.143 is out the others should be inactive (non-existant for all those in tents and porpoises), so the only area I need to worry about is R-2932.

For those who've flown this, will ATC clear you through 2932 at all, or is going to be one of those remain clear ops, with my two choices being 6000 feet +/-500 depending my course, or any altitude a little further off shore? I'd just like to snap a couple photos of KSC as I fly by, and lower would be better than higher.

I'm guessing there won't be a landing/launch when I'm flying through there, so 91.143 is out the others should be inactive (non-existant for all those in tents and porpoises), so the only area I need to worry about is R-2932.

Why guess?

The following is a list of NOTAMs within a 2NM radius of MLB.

MLB MELBOURNE INTL

04/008 - AIRSPACE R2933 ACT. WIE UNTIL UFN. CREATED: 02 APR 14:32 2009

04/007 - AIRSPACE R2934 ACT. WIE UNTIL UFN. CREATED: 02 APR 14:31 2009

I'm going to be in Ft Myers, and heading to St Augustine. My plan was to scoot past Okeechobee and fly up the coast for a better view than the center of Florida. Looking at the TAC and SEC charts I see:

R-2932 and 2933 overlying Cape Canaveral
R-2934 and 2935 to the north and south of Kennedy
W-497A/B offshore.

R-2932 Below 5000' Continuous
R-2933 5000' to UNL by NOTAM
R-2934 UNL by NOTAM
R-2935 11000 to UNL by NOTAM
W-497A/B UNL by NOTAM

For those who've flown this, will ATC clear you through 2932 at all, or is going to be one of those remain clear ops, with my two choices being 6000 feet +/-500 depending my course, or any altitude a little further off shore? I'd just like to snap a couple photos of KSC as I fly by, and lower would be better than higher.

I've found ATC in Florida to be very uncooperative with GA IFR traffic and I wouldn't count on getting through much of the SUA on an IFR clearance unless you're landing at an airport within. I've had IFR flights from west to east cost that sent me over 100 nm out of the way on a flight that would have been about 125 nm direct. In any case, I don't think ATC has any leeway WRT 2932 so don't plan on flying through that one but you can fly above it (top is 5000). You can also go under 2935 which has a base of 11000 IIRC.

We flew VFR from Ft Pierce to St Agustine, then turned inland to Lake City last April. We were at 3500 and just inshore the whole way with no problems. Good vbiew of KSC from there.

I've found ATC in Florida to be very uncooperative with GA IFR traffic and I wouldn't count on getting through much of the SUA on an IFR clearance unless you're landing at an airport within. I've had IFR flights from west to east cost that sent me over 100 nm out of the way on a flight that would have been about 125 nm direct. In any case, I don't think ATC has any leeway WRT 2932 so don't plan on flying through that one but you can fly above it (top is 5000). You can also go under 2935 which has a base of 11000 IIRC.

IFR?? Hahahahahahah. Silly twin drivers. ;)

When I was in college we flew down there all the time (of course that was 12 years ago) but if there wasn't a shuttle on the ramp, they'd let you do "the tour" - you could fly down the 15,000' runway as low as you want as long as you didn't touch down. It was the best way to feel like you are going fast in a warrior or 172! :D

When I was in college we flew down there all the time (of course that was 12 years ago) but if there wasn't a shuttle on the ramp, they'd let you do "the tour" - you could fly down the 15,000' runway as low as you want as long as you didn't touch down. It was the best way to feel like you are going fast in a warrior or 172! :D

I did the tour as well back in 96 while I was a student at ERAU. Thought I had pictures somewhere, but can't find them. Do they still let you do that?

Brian

I did the tour as well back in 96 while I was a student at ERAU. Thought I had pictures somewhere, but can't find them. Do they still let you do that?

Brian

I don't think they do. Even if they did, ERAU sure as heck wouldn't allow it now. They've got so many rules and regulations that flying literally became no fun there.

But to answer the question, I'd probably just run down V-3 or Interstate 95. Both are basically the same thing once you get south of Daytona Beach. Quite often, ATC will give flight following and say "join V-3 or I-95 southbound, your choice." Or that's how its been every time I've gone that way. Looking toward around the Daytona Beach area, there is lots of VFR traffic inland, some of which doesn't really pay attention to altitude rules. The entire area from just north of R-2935 and east of V-267 to just south of St. Augustine (excluding the Class B/C airspace) is what many would consider to be the limits of the Daytona practice area's.

I ended up doing FMY to LaBelle, V225, V3. V3 is pretty busy!

Sorry to revive a very old thread.
I am back in flying GA after a very long break.
Do they still allow to overfly the NASA landing facility ? If yes, how to proceed ?
Thanks

Thanks ! I did a search and couldn’t find it.

Back