Flying the East coast

HansWind

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
HansWind
Hi,

I am thinking about traveling to Florida (Miami) to find an affordable C172 or DA40 to rent and then fly the east coast all the way up to New York, stopping at all the cool airports on the way. It would be ideal if I could find a rental I could drop of at New York and then take a commercial flight back home. Does anybody know if any FBO or Flight school in Florida could offer this type of rental with a good price?

thanks in advance!

For enough money Im sure they'd be happy to fly a CFI up and charge you for the relocation time.

Yeah I suppose, but I guess I was more looking at if any FBO or even individual had the need of relocating the plane and making some money while at it. :)

I am thinking about traveling to Florida (Miami) to find an affordable C172 or DA40 to rent and then fly the east coast all the way up to New York
So like a one-way rental? Most places will want their airplane back. :smilewinkgrin:

So like a one-way rental? Most places will want their airplane back. :smilewinkgrin:
This being the case, it would mean more flying (back down south again) which isn't that bad option either.. :) So then what place in Florida would you guys recommend for a package of 20-30 hours on 172 or DA40?

This being the case, it would mean more flying (back down south again) which isn't that bad option either.. :) So then what place in Florida would you guys recommend for a package of 20-30 hours on 172 or DA40?
I'm not the one to answer that, but it shouldn't be too hard to find somewhere that will rent for a block rate, which sounds like what you're needing.

I'd call Embry-Riddle (my bad) and see if they have a spare plane around that needs some time. Probably be good advertising for them to have their logo up and down the coast.

Last edited:
Emory-Riddle - thanks! Exactly the kind of tips I needed. I'll give them a ring.

Why stop at NY when there is some very nice scenery in Maine? Then turn around and let your right side passengers enjoy the view back to Florida. Stop at Kitty Hawk.

Why stop at NY when there is some very nice scenery in Maine? Then turn around and let your right side passengers enjoy the view back to Florida. Stop at Kitty Hawk.
Thanks for the tip! I will definitely add Maine and Kitty Hawk to the list (I am from Europe so these kind of recommendations are highly appreciated)

Yes, these, as well as Nantucket, Marthas, Block island, the cape, Newport. Geez, I could take several months just exploring coastal NE.

Where I would stop: Savannah, Charlestown, Kitty Hawk, Williamsburg, Charlottesville, Philly, New York, Cooperstown, Boston, Niagara Falls. I grew up in the DC area so I've seen it but if you can get in by all means spend a few days at the museums. Maybe land at Dulles to see the Air and Space annex and then go downtown. If you skip Charlottesville then go east of DC to Ocean City MD. The airport has a shuttle to the beach or you can walk.

W95 - Ocracoke, NC is a nice stop for lunch (20 min walk) and a walk on the beach (5 minutes away). One of our favorites.

Occasionally opportunities like that pop up. There was a flight school in the DC area that had acquired a plane in Texas and was looking for a "ferry pilot" to fly it up. When I offered my commercial piloting services, I was informed that they would "only" charge me $100 hour to fly the airplane. I passed but that sounds like something you would have been interested in.

As to how you would find opportunities like that, I'm not really sure. In my case, the airport manager of the destination airport sent out an email on behalf of the flight school operator.

I seriously doubt Embry Riddle would accommodate what you're trying to do. They're an aeronautical university, not an aircraft rental outfit.

I think Brad is correct...according to their website. I am sure someone on the east coast will rent to you. Just start calling around.

"Any current Embry-Riddle student can rent Embry-Riddle airplanes. Single-engine airplane rentals require a Private Pilot Certificate and rental check-out from an Embry-Riddle flight instructor. For multiengine airplane rentals, an Embry-Riddle Flight Instructor must accompany the renter on the flight due to insurance reasons."

I don't have any advice just strongly suggest you do it. Flew from NC down to DAB last week and back. Flew from just outside CLT to Savannah and then right down the coast. The view was awesome. Would love to make it all the way up the coast one of these days

I fly the east coast regularly. It's a nice trip with lots to see in good weather.

In NYC, grab a CFI and fly the Hudson river SFRA - well worth it.

One thing worth mentioning: while aircraft rental outfits love having their planes flown, they don't particularly love them to travel hundreds of miles away. Most folks do maintenance in 50 hour intervals, and a trip you describe could easily go 25 hours or more. As such, they'll have to plan the maintenance around your trip. Also, if something breaks hundreds of miles away they will have to rely on another shop's mechanics and potentially large repair bill.

I'd recommend talking to Palm Beach Flight training out of Lantana airport. I rented from them for a 70 hour cross-country to CA and back and they were fantastic.

Try Florida Institute of Technology, School of Aeronautics in Melbourne.

Occasionally opportunities like that pop up. There was a flight school in the DC area that had acquired a plane in Texas and was looking for a "ferry pilot" to fly it up. When I offered my commercial piloting services, I was informed that they would "only" charge me $100 hour to fly the airplane. I passed but that sounds like something you would have been interested in.

That right there is comedy.... Not surprised that type of mentality came out of a DC school. They wanted a service and expected someone else to pay for it! Classic.

Maybe you are more mild mannered than me, but I would have really let them know what I th No about that. Then hung up before they could form a rebuttal.

Been up and down the east coast numerous times - nice flight no matter how you do it.

But both flying and driving, from FL I would often angle over at around Savannah and fly/drive up the Appalachians. The mountains certainly have their own appeal.

Here's another thought...find a low cost rental anywhere along your route and then do the trip in two parts, one to the north and back and one to the south and back.

Back