Flying tailwheel airplane with instructor - what can I log?

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
Flying a Great Lakes for aerobatics, not flying it for a tailwheel endorsement (although I plan to get my tailwheel endorsement soon). I have my PPL. Can I log the takeoffs and landings (he shadows me on these things as any CFI would)? Can I log the time as PIC since I'm technically "sole manipulator" of the controls (most the time)?

I've read a couple threads on this but it's not always clear.

If you are rated for category and class then yes you can log it end of story.

You cannot ACT as PIC until you have the endorsement.

In the scenario you described, you may absolutely log all time and landings, provided you hold a certificate with the category and class ratings of the airplane you are flying. Have fun!

In the scenario you described, you may absolutely log all time and landings, provided you hold a certificate with the category and class ratings of the airplane you are flying. Have fun!

PIC and landings.

Thanks guys...stupid question but I can log the take offs as well too correct?

Yes, takeoffs and landings. So once you get three in and get your tailwheel signoff, you're current to fly passengers.

Thanks guys...stupid question but I can log the take offs as well too correct?
Typically only landings are logged, since a takeoff is required in order to land. But if your logbook has a column for takeoffs, go for it!

Typically only landings are logged, since a takeoff is required in order to land. But if your logbook has a column for takeoffs, go for it!

Yea the foreflight logbook has a takeoffs section thats why I asked...my old paper one doesn't though

Last edited:
Yea the foreflight logbook has a takeoffs section thats why I asked...my old paper one doesn't though

Some paper ones do, too. My current does.

Logging take-offs separately is more for the big iron guys that fly long-haul with multiple crews. There, it's entirely possible to get a take-off or landing in without its pair.

Hmmm...did have one incident where my CFI was able to log a take-off, but not the landing. That was due to an in-flight medical emergency.

The 90 day passenger currency requires takeoffs AND landings. Not every landing has a matching takeoff. If you have two pilots on board, they may not match up. If you're trying for night currency, you may have departed during the day and hence that doesn't count.

Back