Flying straight in at uncontrolled field?

That AC is self-contradictory. If runway 36 has a left pattern and runway 18 has a right pattern how can you mandate that the indicators come in pairs and also mandate that left-hand patterns are not shown?

I'll say it again. Your explanation of how they're supposed to be interpreted results in a paradox.
Because each separate "L" has since the beginning shown both departure and landing turns, not just landing. Pairs of them show the big picture--all turns on one side of the runway. No paradox. No plan for dual right-hand patterns to one runway.

dtuuri

Because each separate "L" has since the beginning shown both departure and landing turns, not just landing. Pairs of them show the big picture--all turns on one side of the runway. No paradox. No plan for dual right-hand patterns to one runway.

dtuuri

Just because you don't understand the paradox, doesn't mean there isn't one. In your previous post (#240), the bottom L shows a left-hand traffic pattern to runway "36". But there isn't supposed to be an indicator for a left traffic pattern. But if you take it out, it's no longer a pair.

Just because you don't understand the paradox, doesn't mean there isn't one. In your previous post (#240), the bottom L shows a left-hand traffic pattern to runway "36". But there isn't supposed to be an indicator for a left traffic pattern. But if you take it out, it's no longer a pair.
All indicators should be in pairs, according to the AC. The purpose is to show right traffic is using the same space as left traffic.

dtuuri

Last edited:
All indicators should be in pairs, according to the AC. The purpose is to show right traffic is using the same space as left traffic.

I know what the purpose is. But one can't say they're required to be in pairs and also say they can't be used to show left traffic.

"USED ONLY ON RUNWAYS USING RIGHT-HAND TRAFFIC PATTERNS"

I know what the purpose is. But one can't say they're required to be in pairs and also say they can't be used to show left traffic.

"USED ONLY ON RUNWAYS USING RIGHT-HAND TRAFFIC PATTERNS"
Runways that use right traffic on one end and left traffic on the other are runways that use right-hand traffic patterns. Notice that it doesn't say "USED ONLY ON RUNWAYS THAT ONLY USE RIGHT-HAND TRAFFIC PATTERNS."

I am unable to decipher that explanation.
Btw, the same C.A.R. book has a diagram that lays to rest the question of whether the pattern indicators are only for landing or can include takeoff turns too. I also found the same diagram reproduced in Charles Zweng's "New Private Pilot" below. It was bigger and made a better copy. Note the arrow directions are for departing traffic:

Zweng new pvt pilot.jpg dtuuri​

Runways that use right traffic on one end and left traffic on the other are runways that use right-hand traffic patterns.
Yes and since the single right pattern requires a "pair" of traffic indicators it follows that dual right-hand patterns would require TWO pairs, i.e., four traffic indicators! They would not indicate clockwise vs. counter-clockwise flow, though, hence the need for a new symbol for Friday Harbor or they should make one of the two patterns left-hand. Swastika symbols are too out of step with a 50+ year long training tradition, imo.

dtuuri

I recall saying it would be foolish.

View attachment 54304

Then they should re-do AC 150/5340-5D too. Gonna look real silly with traffic patterns flying right over the hazards/populated areas. The only way to avoid that is have both indicators point in the same compass direction.

dtuuri

This picture describes the traffic pattern at KCDW.

If the runway is not coincident with the final approach, you don't have a choice. But minimums in non-precision approaches aren't often much lower than TPA. Either way, if you have to do a circle at lower than TPA altitude, then you -shouldn't- encounter VFR traffic to begin with.
TPA is not regulatory, and Class E usually stops at 700 AGL. This means you can see legal VFR traffic below that.

That's the same AC we have been taking about this entire time. Did you forget that you already posted it 20 times? I didn't claim it doesn't say it. I claimed it is a contradiction.

And you keep thinking that I don't understand your point of view. I understand it perfectly, I just think it's flawed and/or the system itself is flawed. Do you not understand the difference?

Last edited:
Runways that use right traffic on one end and left traffic on the other are runways that use right-hand traffic patterns. Notice that it doesn't say "USED ONLY ON RUNWAYS THAT ONLY USE RIGHT-HAND TRAFFIC PATTERNS."
The sentence in the AC is ambiguous which was my point from the beginning.

Btw, the same C.A.R. book has a diagram that lays to rest the question of whether the pattern indicators are only for landing or can include takeoff turns too. I also found the same diagram reproduced in Charles Zweng's "New Private Pilot" below. It was bigger and made a better copy. Note the arrow directions are for departing traffic:

Dave, you may well be right, but I have a few observations that leave me unsure:

FAR 91.126(b)(1) says a pilot must make turns to the left “unless the airport displays approved light signals or visual markings indicating that turns should be made to the right, in which case the pilot must make all turns to the right.” To my thinking, this FAR implies that marking must be used if you want pilots to know that right-turns are required, but it certainly does not say that marking must not be used for left-hand patterns.

The Advisory Circular from 9/25/13 re “Segmented Circle Airport Marker System” says in all caps that the “L” shaped indicators are “USED ONLY ON RUNWAYS USING RIGHT-HAND TRAFFIC PATTERNS.” Maybe this admonition is based on something else, but if not, it certainly seems to make a prohibition not found in FAR 91.126 (making KRNM’s use of “L” shaped indicators to show standard left-hand patterns in violation of something). Maybe it’s just the author’s opinion?

With reference to the old regulation you quote in post 243, it says “the marker” shall be placed so that the short member of the L will show the direction of the traffic in the air. Note that it refers to the marker, not “both” markers. The marker it refers to could well be the marker at the approach end.

With reference to the old CAR diagram that was reproduced in Charles Zweng’s book “New Private Pilot,” you say the arrow directions are “for departing traffic,” but to my thinking, the illustrated direction of turn after departure is equally consistent with the takeoff turn being driven by the “L” shaped indicator at the departure end of the runway, or by “mentally enlarging” the “L” shaped indicator at the approach end of the runway. In other words, the diagram doesn’t support your interpretation to the exclusion of my current interpretation. It’s consistent with both interpretations.

Last edited:
Dave, you may well be right, but I have a few observations that leave me unsure:

FAR 91.126(b)(1) says a pilot must make turns to the left “unless the airport displays approved light signals or visual markings indicating that turns should be made to the right, in which case the pilot must make all turns to the right.” To my thinking, this FAR implies that marking must be used if you want pilots to know that right-turns are required, but it certainly does not say that marking must not be used for left-hand patterns.

The Advisory Circular from 9/25/13 re “Segmented Circle Airport Marker System” says in all caps that the “L” shaped indicators are “USED ONLY ON RUNWAYS USING RIGHT-HAND TRAFFIC PATTERNS.” Maybe this admonition is based on something else, but if not, it certainly seems to make a prohibition not found in FAR 91.126 (making KRNM’s use of “L” shaped indicators to show standard left-hand patterns in violation of something). Maybe it’s just the author’s opinion?

With reference to the old regulation you quote in post 243, it says “the marker” shall be placed so that the short member of the L will show the direction of the traffic in the air. Note that it refers to the marker, not “both” markers. The marker it refers to could well be the marker at the approach end.

With reference to the old CAR diagram that was reproduced in Charles Zweng’s book “New Private Pilot,” you say the arrow directions are “for departing traffic,” but to my thinking, the illustrated direction of turn after departure is equally consistent with the takeoff turn being driven by the “L” shaped indicator at the departure end of the runway, or by “mentally enlarging” the “L” shaped indicator at the approach end of the runway. In other words, the diagram doesn’t support your interpretation to the exclusion of my current interpretation. It’s consistent with both interpretations.
All correct. Advisory Circulars aren't regulatory and the small leg of the "L" points toward the side the pattern is on whether landing or taking off. No dispute with any of it. My dispute is with those who stretch the standard to accomplish something it isn't meant for and in so doing trash the way we all were supposed to have learned in interpreting the symbols for the past fifty-odd years. Under the "stretched" application (Friday Harbor, AFH, PHAK) only those who stopped reading the explanation of the pointers halfway through the AIM paragraph will get by. The rest of us have to re-learn something that's opposite of our lifetime flying experience. It isn't necessary and shows bad planning. A new symbol like this is one way to avoid confusion at Friday Harbor for everybody not just the lazy readers:

New symbol.jpg
That way, even those who don't read far enough can understand not to use the base leg projection and those of us using the departure/big picture view will remain compliant.

dtuuri

Understood. Thanks.

For what it's worth, here's another airport that is marked for right traffic at both ends like KFHR (Friday Harbor).

This one is O21 (Hoopa Airport) in northern California:

Hoopa.jpg

All correct. Advisory Circulars aren't regulatory and the small leg of the "L" points toward the side the pattern is on whether landing or taking off. No dispute with any of it. My dispute is with those who stretch the standard to accomplish something it isn't meant for and in so doing trash the way we all were supposed to have learned in interpreting the symbols for the past fifty-odd years. Under the "stretched" application (Friday Harbor, AFH, PHAK) only those who stopped reading the explanation of the pointers halfway through the AIM paragraph will get by. The rest of us have to re-learn something that's opposite of our lifetime flying experience. It isn't necessary and shows bad planning. A new symbol like this is one way to avoid confusion at Friday Harbor for everybody not just the lazy readers:

That way, even those who don't read far enough can understand not to use the base leg projection and those of us using the departure/big picture view will remain compliant.

dtuuri

Likely never happen. The notice in the A/FD will be considered sufficient; with fewer pilots ever looking at the symbols on the ground; especially when you consider the fact this would often be done for noise abatement reasons. Who would want a pilot to fly low and slow enough to be noisy just to see the symbols.

Tim

And here's another airport marked for right traffic at both ends, but isn't located on the "Left Coast" where all us renegades live. :)

This one MAO (Marion Co.), located in South Carolina:
Marion County Airport, SC.jpg

Last edited:
I had an aunt like you who could walk across the lawn, look down and find a four leaf clover with uncanny frequency. Which reminds me, I need to go spray some weed killer. Bye-bye. ;)

dtuuri

... A new symbol like this is one way to avoid confusion at Friday Harbor for everybody not just the lazy readers:

dtuuri
The way you have drawn that conveys to me that departure turns should be to the right, but it's clear from the Friday Harbor Airport pamphlet (attached), that they want approach turns to be to the right, and they don't care which direction departure turns are made as long as they occur at or above 1100 MSL.

Attachments

• Friday Harbor noise_abatement.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
The way you have drawn that conveys to me that departure turns should be to the right, but it's clear from the Friday Harbor Airport pamphlet (attached), that they want approach turns to be to the right, and they don't care which direction departure turns are made as long as they occur at or above 1100 MSL.
Where's the problem? Departure turns to the right are always followed by landing turns to the right. Been doing it that way forever.

dtuuri

Where's the problem? Departure turns to the right are always followed by landing turns to the right. Been doing it that way forever.
Sure, for aircraft remaining in the pattern. I think that pilots arriving from elsewhere would find the intent of your diagram non-obvious regarding direction of arrival turns. Furthermore, it does not convey the fact that the airport operator doesn't care whether departure turns are made to the right or left (which is a problem it shares with the existing pattern indicator).

Sure, for aircraft remaining in the pattern. I think that pilots arriving from elsewhere would find the intent of your diagram non-obvious regarding direction of arrival turns.
It's more intuitive than having a backwards indication like they have now that doesn't work in the same way it always has.

Furthermore, it does not convey the fact that the airport operator doesn't care whether departure turns are made to the right or left (which is a problem it shares with the existing pattern indicator).
The airport operator is already trying to cram more into the pointer than ever intended by attempting to depict both traffic patterns as non-standard with one ambiguous indicator for each. You can't tell from either "L" whether to associate it with landing or takeoff, which for the other 99.99% in the country both ways work. Maybe the manager can get some inspiration here:

dtuuri

I had an aunt like you who could walk across the lawn, look down and find a four leaf clover with uncanny frequency. Which reminds me, I need to go spray some weed killer. Bye-bye. ;)

dtuuri

When you put it that way, I guess it really doesn't matter.

The way you interpret both indicators together works fine unless you fly to one of the four leaf clovers, and folks interpreting it backward from the landing-end indicator won't have an issue either, not at any airport, not even at a four leaf clover.

This horse has been officially beat to a pulp by me. Sorry for that.

Last edited:
This horse has been officially beat to a pulp by me. Sorry for that.
Hopefully it's been instructive for those who make willy-nilly changes to long-established procedures based on nothing more than their own personal preferences. When somebody gets violated for going the wrong way at one of these airports (or worse) maybe they (or their survivors) can find this thread and beat the rap (or divert the lawsuit). Nothing to apologize for at all, imo, I enjoyed it. :)

dtuuri

Hopefully it's been instructive for those who make willy-nilly changes to long-established procedures based on nothing more than their own personal preferences. When somebody gets violated for going the wrong way at one of these airports (or worse) maybe they (or their survivors) can find this thread and beat the rap (or divert the lawsuit). Nothing to apologize for at all, imo, I enjoyed it. :)

dtuuri

An interpretation of an ambiguous procedure is not the same thing as a change in procedure.

It's more intuitive than having a backwards indication like they have now that doesn't work in the same way it always has.

The airport operator is already trying to cram more into the pointer than ever intended by attempting to depict both traffic patterns as non-standard with one ambiguous indicator for each. You can't tell from either "L" whether to associate it with landing or takeoff, which for the other 99.99% in the country both ways work. Maybe the manager can get some inspiration here:

dtuuri
Several folks have quoted the reg 14 CFR 91.126(b), but seem to have missed the first phrase:

When approaching to land.

There is no regulatory requirement for direction of turns on departure in Class G. This means there is no need to display markings for direction of the crosswind turn.

Several folks have quoted the reg 14 CFR 91.126(b), but seem to have missed the first phrase:

When approaching to land.

There is no regulatory requirement for direction of turns on departure in Class G. This means there is no need to display markings for direction of the crosswind turn.
Who said there was? You know there's plenty of discussion in the AIM about the rectangular nature of traffic patterns including giving names for each of the separate legs. The segmented circle and traffic pattern pointers dovetail with those words not Part 91. Each "L" of the pair point in the direction of the rectangular pattern not in the direction of the base leg of the pattern. Though you can choose to imagine it that way, I think the pair working together is easier to interpret and historically correct.

dtuuri

Who said there was? You know there's plenty of discussion in the AIM about the rectangular nature of traffic patterns including giving names for each of the separate legs. The segmented circle and traffic pattern pointers dovetail with those words not Part 91....
Hold on there pardner. These words from the regulation create an explicit connection between Part 91 and the visual traffic pattern indicators:

"...unless the airport displays approved light signals or visual markings indicating that turns should be made to the right..." [emphasis added]

Hold on there pardner. These words from the regulation create an explicit connection between Part 91 and the visual traffic pattern indicators:

"...unless the airport displays approved light signals or visual markings indicating that turns should be made to the right..." [emphasis added]
"Approved" light signals. "Approved" markings. Too bad the "approvers" didn't know, way back when, that there would be a need to have clockwise traffic around both sides of a runway instead of, on occasion, just one side. Then they wouldn't have made drawings and instructions associating departure turns with the pattern pointers. With a little clairvoyance, they could have designed more robust pointers. Maybe like this (if you didn't like the last one):

New symbol r2.jpg
But they didn't, so now the "approved" (locally) markers are made from whole cloth and don't jibe with the published literature of the past 60 years. The new textbooks are out of step with published standards too. The stage is set for a collision and the FAA will be responsible, imo.

dtuuri

For as much time as we have spent on this, none of it is as important IMO as the AFH's simultaneous endorsement of the midfield entry from the non-pattern side, and the 45 degree entry. Having people nearly head-on to each other during pattern entry strikes me as a really dumb idea.

For as much time as we have spent on this, none of it is as important IMO as the AFH's simultaneous endorsement of the midfield entry from the non-pattern side, and the 45 degree entry. Having people nearly head-on to each other during pattern entry strikes me as a really dumb idea.

Nah, makes it fun. We get to test the mandated ADS-B functionality.

Tim

Who said there was? You know there's plenty of discussion in the AIM about the rectangular nature of traffic patterns including giving names for each of the separate legs. The segmented circle and traffic pattern pointers dovetail with those words not Part 91. Each "L" of the pair point in the direction of the rectangular pattern not in the direction of the base leg of the pattern. Though you can choose to imagine it that way, I think the pair working together is easier to interpret and historically correct.

dtuuri
Did you post a reference that says the markers indicate the direction of crosswind turns? I might have missed it. But why would they? The segmented circle is meant to be read by planes in the air, so there's no need for it to indicate the crosswind direction. It will be the same as base turn. And pilots on the ground usually can't see the segmented circle anyway, so it would be useless.

Did you post a reference that says the markers indicate the direction of crosswind turns? I might have missed it. But why would they? The segmented circle is meant to be read by planes in the air, so there's no need for it to indicate the crosswind direction. It will be the same as base turn. And pilots on the ground usually can't see the segmented circle anyway, so it would be useless.
See posts 243 & 249. FAR 60.18-2 said "...the entire L will indicate the course of the turn..." and "...the short member of the L will show the direction of traffic in the air..."

A government diagram reproduced in post 249 illustrated the direction of traffic flow with respect to the markers that only makes sense in terms of the departure end of the runway. I.e., BOTH markers are used to show the "course" of the pattern which is on the same side for both runway directions. That won't work where they are on opposite sides, like in standard left-hand patterns, which is probably why the AC doesn't allow them there. Same problem for two right-hand patterns on opposite sides of the runway. So, the markers aren't for "base leg" or "crosswind" turns, they're for both directions at the same time, a single path, a two-way street in the air. One that can be visualized with respect to either marker. I always use the departure end. That's the place most likely to be the source of traffic I'll want to merge between. OTOH, "one-way streets" like Friday Harbor and Ramona are using a new logic that's not documented anywhere. I'll just have to remember from now on to reference just the landing end markers when I see a swastika and hope everybody else knows that too.

dtuuri

See posts 243 & 249. FAR 60.18-2 said "...the entire L will indicate the course of the turn..." and "...the short member of the L will show the direction of traffic in the air..."

A government diagram reproduced in post 249 illustrated the direction of traffic flow with respect to the markers that only makes sense in terms of the departure end of the runway. I.e., BOTH markers are used to show the "course" of the pattern which is on the same side for both runway directions. That won't work where they are on opposite sides, like in standard left-hand patterns, which is probably why the AC doesn't allow them there. Same problem for two right-hand patterns on opposite sides of the runway. So, the markers aren't for "base leg" or "crosswind" turns, they're for both directions at the same time, a single path, a two-way street in the air. One that can be visualized with respect to either marker. I always use the departure end. That's the place most likely to be the source of traffic I'll want to merge between. OTOH, "one-way streets" like Friday Harbor and Ramona are using a new logic that's not documented anywhere. I'll just have to remember from now on to reference just the landing end markers when I see a swastika and hope everybody else knows that too.

dtuuri
Nothing in your references says what you are saying. I think you're relying on confirmation bias to back up faulty assumptions. Only one indicator is necessary per each runway direction because all turns in a pattern go the same way. Since all the documentation says the indicators are for pilots landing at the field, it makes the most sense that you'd look at the arrival end. There's no need for an indicator at the departure end, because there are no runways with figure-eight patterns like you drew earlier. All of the diagrams, including the ones you don't like, are totally consistent with the indicator showing the directions of turns for traffic landing on the indicated runway. They're not consistent with your explanation.

Nothing in your references says what you are saying. I think you're relying on confirmation bias to back up faulty assumptions. Only one indicator is necessary per each runway direction because all turns in a pattern go the same way. Since all the documentation says the indicators are for pilots landing at the field, it makes the most sense that you'd look at the arrival end. There's no need for an indicator at the departure end, because there are no runways with figure-eight patterns like you drew earlier. All of the diagrams, including the ones you don't like, are totally consistent with the indicator showing the directions of turns for traffic landing on the indicated runway. They're not consistent with your explanation.
Sayin' it's so don't make it so. The pattern indicators point to the side of the airport on which both patterns lie. How do you explain the AIM statement re: the departure end? And the arrows in post 249, how do you explain that? Clearly there was no problem using the departure end to show how pilots can visualize the traffic pattern.

Show me any FAA diagram that demonstrates how to interpret pointers on a runway with two right-handed patterns, one for each end, rather than just for one end. Or two left-handed patterns for that matter, recent AFH and PHAK not included.

dtuuri

Sayin' it's so don't make it so.
Indeed.

All of your questions have been answered. Even in the post you responded to.
So let me all you a question, and if you've already answered it, just point me to the answer: What purpose would it serve to indicate the direction of the departure turn on a device that's not visible when departing?

Back