Flying straight in at uncontrolled field?

...OTOH, "one-way streets" like Friday Harbor and Ramona are using a new logic that's not documented anywhere....
That's not true; it IS documented. The AFH figure that we've been discussing clearly states that the pattern indicator "indicates location of base leg."

...A government diagram reproduced in post 249 illustrated the direction of traffic flow with respect to the markers that only makes sense in terms of the departure end of the runway....
Given that the AFH diagram clearly shows that pattern indicators apply to the approach end, and has done so for at least thirteen years, the fact that a diagram from a long-superseded regulation implies the opposite doesn't seem relevant today.

...I'll just have to remember from now on to reference just the landing end markers when I see a swastika and hope everybody else knows that too.
I'm not sure, but this may be the first time I have seen someone Godwin a traffic pattern thread!

Given that the AFH diagram clearly shows that pattern indicators apply to the approach end, and has done so for at least thirteen years, the fact that a diagram from a long-superseded regulation implies the opposite doesn't seem relevant today.
The diagram in #249 is consistent. The illustrator only drew part of each traffic pattern to illustrate the pattern for each runway. He happenend to choose the crosswind leg. The diagram and pattern indicators would have the same meaning if he'd illustrated the base legs instead. Dtuuri continues to infer what's not implied.

The diagram in #249 is consistent. The illustrator only drew part of each traffic pattern to illustrate the pattern for each runway. He happenend to choose the crosswind leg. The diagram and pattern indicators would have the same meaning if he'd illustrated the base legs instead. Dtuuri continues to infer what's not implied.
Perhaps, but I consider it moot. There is no doubt in my mind that current guidance is capable of superseding regulations that are no longer in effect.

Perhaps, but I consider it moot. There is no doubt in my mind that current guidance is capable of superseding regulations that are no longer in effect.

I understand Dave to be contending the L-shaped indicator at the outbound end of the runway has long indicated the direction of turn needed to remain in the pattern. He oddly reconciles this not working with runways having right traffic at both ends by noting they're rare.

I apologize if I missed it, but what specific regulation previously in effect actually says what Dave contends?

I understand Dave to be contending the L-shaped indicator at the outbound end of the runway has long indicated the direction of turn needed to remain in the pattern. He oddly reconciles this not working with runways having right traffic at both ends by noting they're rare.

I apologize if I missed it, but what specific regulation previously in effect actually says what Dave contends?

None. But Dave continues to make the case.

Tim

Posts 243 and 249 contain the regulation and diagram that he referred to. What they "actually" say seems to be in dispute.

That's not true; it IS documented. The AFH figure that we've been discussing clearly states that the pattern indicator "indicates location of base leg."
I thought we were arguing about the inconsistency between the AIM (and history) and the new AFH. If the AFH isn't valid you can't cite it. It wouldn't be cricket.

What do you mean "last thirteen years"? Until this thread I never saw that diagram.

I'm not sure, but this may be the first time I have seen someone Godwin a traffic pattern thread!
Ha, ha. Who's Godwinning here, me or you? You'll have to read at least half this article to find mention of Nazi use of the symbol: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika. I'm referring to the symbols.

dtuuri

Ok, I see you all continue to be mesmerized by my explanations and drawings, so here's a different perspective. Consider the fact that the purpose of the right-hand traffic rule is not to "make right-hand traffic", but to prevent overflight of sensitive/hazardous areas. It's like closing off the eastbound lanes of an interstate and funneling traffic over to the westbound inside lane. Thus there is no more traffic interfering with the highway construction and now there's two-way traffic where there is normally one-way. Got it?

In aviation we call that a "right-hand pattern" even though it includes a "left-hand pattern" for the opposite direction too. Our signage points toward the two-way downwind leg.

Now along comes some local mayor and says (of the highway analogy), "When that road gets fixed I want the noisy eastbound trucks using their Jake Brakes to keep using the eastbound lanes on the north side of the median and the quieter westbound traffic to start using the southern lanes. It's made a real big improvement to the expensive homes south of the freeway." Of course, the town is Friday Harbor.

I don't think the FAA ever meant for the symbology to change the direction of overflights of sensitive/hazardous areas. They meant to avoid the overflights.

But I'd rather folks got back to saying why they dismiss my arguments against crossing overhead the airport into the downwind at pattern altitude.

dtuuri

Last edited:
But I'd rather folks got back to saying why they dismiss my arguments against crossing overhead the airport into the downwind at pattern altitude.

dtuuri

It has been too many pages. What is the issue?

Tim

dtuuri

The midfield entry to downwind from the upwind side puts most of the worry in front of me with my wings level. Traffic on the 45 and the down wind are moving across my field of view, So I'm likely to pick them out quicker, rather than looking for them in the ground clutter as I pass overhead and descend prior to the teardrop. Also, the teardrop to the 45 has me blocking my view of the 45, and the base to downwind, at least part of the time.

Some times the pattern is just to busy for this. So, I don't push the issue. But, at those quiet fields I prefer this way of entering from the upwind side.

Last edited:
I thought we were arguing about the inconsistency between the AIM (and history) and the new AFH.

I don't dispute that FAA guidance is inconsistent. I dispute the assertion that the meaning of Friday Harbor's and Ramona's pattern indicators isn't documented anywhere.

If the AFH isn't valid you can't cite it. It wouldn't be cricket.

I was under the impression that the invalidity of the AFH diagram was part of what you were trying to prove. If so, the above is a circular argument. You can't use a premise to prove itself.

In any case, the diagram is in a current FAA publication and has been for at least thirteen years. Therefore the average Joe or Jane Pilot has the opportunity to find out what pattern indicators like the ones at those two airports mean.

What do you mean "last thirteen years"? Until this thread I never saw that diagram.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that the 2004 edition of the AFH depicted pattern indicators in the same way. (See attachment, page 7-3.)

Ha, ha. Who's Godwinning here, me or you?
You.

You'll have to read at least half this article to find mention of Nazi use of the symbol: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika. I'm referring to the symbols.
It looked like you were using the term because of its emotional impact.

Attachments

• FAA-H-8083-3A Chapter 7.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
The midfield entry to downwind from the upwind side puts most of the worry in front of me with my wings level. Traffic on the 45 and the down wind are moving across my field of view, So I'm likely to pick them out quicker, rather than looking for them in the ground clutter as I pass overhead and descend prior to the teardrop. Also, the teardrop to the 45 has me blocking my view of the 45, and the base to downwind, at least part of the time.

Some times the pattern is just to busy for this. So, I don't push the issue. But, at those quiet fields I prefer this way of entering from the upwind side.
My best argument against it is:

Unlike minds.jpg
Somebody else could be doing exactly the same thing from the other side for the other runway. Maximum closing speed and minimum frontal area, each pilot looking out the side window.

dtuuri

My best argument against it is:

Somebody else could be doing exactly the same thing from the other side for the other runway. Maximum closing speed and minimum frontal area, each pilot looking out the side window.

dtuuri
For the other side of the runway? Nope. You make up too much stuff.

I don't dispute that FAA guidance is inconsistent. I was under the impression that the invalidity of the AFH diagram was part of what you were trying to prove. If so, the above is a circular argument. You can't use a premise to prove itself.
If it's inconsistent, it's invalid. See Front Matter:

"It is essential for persons using this handbook to become familiar with and apply the pertinent parts of 14 CFR and the Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM)."​

dtuuri

How many horses have to die before this ends?

One thread on BeechTalk ran over a three hundred pages, mostly debating the merit of single engine versus twin engine for jets (Cirrus SF50 was the subject). So we have many more horses to beat.

Tim

If it's inconsistent, it's invalid. See Front Matter:

"It is essential for persons using this handbook to become familiar with and apply the pertinent parts of 14 CFR and the Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM)."​
Thank you for replacing a circular argument with a non-circular one. ;)

It's regrettable that inconsistencies exist in FAA documentation, but the agency is run by human beings, after all. As for pattern indicators like the ones at Friday Harbor and Ramona, the fact that they exist is justification enough for the diagram in the AFH, and I doubt that either the airports involved or the FAA is going to want to spend the money to tear them out.

Back