Flying Proficiency

warthog1984

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
LanCA'r
How often do you have to fly to feel proficient?

As a 100hr PP, I've flown 85-some hours this last year. This seems like more than enough to meet the supposed 50 hour/year benchmark for proficiency, especially since most were training/airwork flights; but I've found that if I don't fly 2-3x/week I don't feel nearly as on-the-ball. I'm still safe, but I have to rely on checklists more and there's always one or two little things I kick myself for.

What says the board?

Are you referring to currency? That's specified in FAR 61.57.

* Three takeoffs and landings within the preceding 90 days to act as PIC of an aircraft carrying passengers
* Three takeoffs and landings within the preceding 90 days, between the period beginning 1 hour after sunset to 1 hour before sunrise, in order to act as PIC of an aircraft carrying passengers in this same time period.

Proficiency is more about personal skills assessment. AOPA article on that: http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources...ciency-Proficiency-and-the-Private-Pilot.aspx

How often do you have to fly to feel proficient?
Me? I can go weeks without actually flying a plane and still feel proficient, but I've been doing this regularly for 45 years and 10,000 hours. If I think back to my Student Pilot days, it certainly wasn't like that at all.

As a 100hr PP, I've flown 85-some hours this last year. This seems like more than enough to meet the supposed 50 hour/year benchmark for proficiency, especially since most were training/airwork flights; but I've found that if I don't fly 2-3x/week I don't feel nearly as on-the-ball. I'm still safe, but I have to rely on checklists more and there's always one or two little things I kick myself for.
That sounds pretty typical for someone of your experience level.

I am a big believer in the three Cs. Currency, Competency and Confidence. Just because I am current doesn't mean I am competent or confident to do something.

I think what you are feeling is normal. I would be more worried if you are oblivious to the feeling.

I fly down for work and don't fly for 2 weeks. I will usually do a fuel run the day before my flight home 270nm. I'm just as crisp as before.

I did take a 9 month break and flew with a cfi to get current again. I hardly missed a beat in that 9 month layoff.

It is difficult for me to answer that because usually I don't go more than a couple of weeks between flights. But, back in 2009 I had a medical issue that knocked me out of flying for 10 or 12 weeks, and I felt pretty rusty the first time up.

Can't help you on that I usually fly twice a week.

I find day VFR a lot more comfortable to get "back in the groove" than night VFR. I'm current at night but I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable taking passengers up. I don't do a lot of night flights and I really have to work on that. I also have to get IFR current again and do some flights

Back