Flying Photos from my trip to the great PNW

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
I wrote this for a few friends when I got home. don't laugh at my writing. LOL

Hi everyone!

Since many of y’all fly, I figured you might be interested in hearing about my recent trip out west and seeing some of the photos. I linked them at the bottom of the email. A friend of mine just moved to Victoria and another one lives in Seattle so I thought, hey, maybe I should check it out. Never been. I've limited this to the flying bits (mostly) so I hope you like it!

Hundreds of little islands pepper the coastline out there and there are some major mountains too. I started out in Vancouver and one day took the Sea to Sky Highway to Squamish to go take a lesson in glacier flying with a CFI out there. This drive is as beautiful as it sounds but not as dramatic as the Pacific Coast Highway. (If anyone wants to fly out there I can give you Colette’s contact info, she owns a flight school in Squamish)

Once you are away from Vancouver it’s pretty much uncontrolled airspace but for the mountains (and there’s a stiff price to pay if you don’t heed them. “Hello friendly mountains” as my ground school instructor used to say). The airport elevation is just under 200 so the TPA was 1200 (easy to remember – same as JYO). But the mountains are RIGHT there so you gotta climb immediately once you depart the pattern and don’t stop til you’re at 6000-7000 or so. There are plenty of valleys so there is space for climbing.

There is regularly a lot of turbulence from the trees on final and the mountains too, so look sharp. You have to turn base early and keep it tight or you will get blown into the side of the mountain. This would not be a good thing. It was like a roller coaster on final! And the runway dips way down at the halfway point so when you are coming in for a landing it looks really short! Just a tiny little airstrip surrounded by mountains. We flew up over Whistler/Blackcomb and all the lakes around it. Yes, the lakes are really THAT blue - no retouching. They could name a crayola crayon after it - Glacier Lake Blue.

After 3 days in Vancouver I went to Tofino on the west coast of Vancouver Island. A local told me the term treehugger came from there, no joke – folks chained themselves to trees to prevent them from cutting them down. The people are SUPER friendly, very laid back – I never heard the term “right on” used so much before. You know how on the East Coast a stranger might acknowledge you with a grunt? Well out there they smile and say RIGHT on. Right on! Hitchhiking? Right on! (Not a big deal, everyone does it). The area is slowly getting yuppified (million plus dollar vacation homes) but still realllly laid back. Sarah McLaughlin has a big beach house, I hear she comes out to go surfing and write her songs. My two days there were mostly rain. I did a hot springs cove tour which was an all day boat ride to/from these natural hot springs on one of the islands. Fine and dandy but it was a bit nippy and driving rain the entire day so you couldn’t even see the mountains you were passing very well. We saw some whales (oooooooh, ahhhhh) and were pretty much sopping wet all day. Hot springs was a good 1.5 mile walk back through the rainforest, very cool thing to do apart from the bit about stripping to your bathing suit to jump into the water and then having to put all your soaking wet clothes back on to walk another 1.5 miles back.

The day I left for Victoria the sun came out so I walked to the dock and took a float plane ride! Check out the photo of the bomber that went down in WWII. They just left it where it was. It crashed shortly after takeoff and everyone got out ok. Kinda reminds me of the one scene in the movie Heavy Metal though. (if you don't get this reference, you MUST rent this DVD - it's a classic!!) We also saw whales from the plane, too. THAT was cool.

After flying into Seattle from Victoria (another float plane!) I did some more mountain flying with another CFI I had looked up out there. Wow are the Cascades pretty. We flew from BFI which was my first time at a towered airport. On our way back into BFI, we were on a looooooong extended base and about 100 feet above us and in front of us, a Spitfire flew by. (EAA was having its pre-Oshkosh event that weekend in Arlington WA). That was really cool to see - I didn't get a picture because we were both gaping at it without saying a word. For not having a license YET I sure am having fun with all this.

Next up – a trip to Hobbitland (New Zealand). This is with the 99s so I should have some more interesting photos when I get back in September.

And now the pictures:

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/194816/

see ya later!

RotaryWingBob said:
Nice pictures. Geez it must be nice tot to have to look through haze all the time...

Viz gets under 50 miles and we start feeling claustrophobic around here. :D

BTW, that bomber looks an awful lot like a PBY Catalina flying boat. Glad you enjoyed your trip to our corner of the world.

Woodstock, you are amazing. Your wonderful talent for picture-taking and providing a glowing descriptive narrative makes us envious of your experience.

Thanks again for the vicarious trip.

Jim

Jim, wow, thanks! I thought I ran on too much (I tend to do that when I'm writing, oops). I cut out some so that no one's eyes would glaze over. glad you liked it!

I also tend to take far too many pictures. out of 400, that's about 30. anymore - snooze city!

I am very envious of anyone living there, now - especially given the 100+ degree days we've had. I am actually looking forward to fall - in JULY! usually it takes til sometime in August before I start looking forward to it...

woodstock said:
I also tend to take far too many pictures. out of 400, that's about 30. anymore - snooze city!
Lightweight. Last three day weekend in Michigan was 1,800 pictures, whittled down to 1,500 for space reasons. ;)

Ain't digital great?

Nice PIX/documentary Beth.

The Cascade waterfall is "Wallace Falls" and the alpine lake is "Lake Isabelle" in a wilderness area above the falls, which has been kept open so far to seaplane ops, after many battles.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Nice PIX/documentary Beth.

The Cascade waterfall is "Wallace Falls" and the alpine lake is "Lake Isabelle" in a wilderness area above the falls, which has been kept open so far to seaplane ops, after many battles.

thanks Dave! I'll send you the rest when I have them sorted out, not having a home computer has slowed it all down.

Brian, 1800 in a wkd? my God, are there 1800 things to take pictures of in Michigan?

woodstock said:
thanks Dave! I'll send you the rest when I have them sorted out, not having a home computer has slowed it all down.

Brian, 1800 in a wkd? my God, are there 1800 things to take pictures of in Michigan?
Potential photos are all around us everyday. It doesn't really require a special 'place' but a desire to show something in a different way.

I ended up stopping because of space reasons on my laptop (since corrected).

Besides, look at some of my favorite subjects!

I love to hear about trips and see pics. Wonderful discription and great pics. You're certainly not going on too much for me!!

Best,

Dave

Really great pictures, Beth!!!

The Pan Pacific is a really nice hotel and great location. Did you have a room where you woke up to the sounds of the float planes in the morning?

wsuffa said:
Really great pictures, Beth!!!

The Pan Pacific is a really nice hotel and great location. Did you have a room where you woke up to the sounds of the float planes in the morning?

you betcha! I specifically asked for harbor view. I would get up, order room service, and sit at the big picture window watching the planes in the morning. it was great!!

woodstock said:
you betcha! I specifically asked for harbor view. I would get up, order room service, and sit at the big picture window watching the planes in the morning. it was great!!

I love that hotel and view. My favorite... no, only... place to stay in Vancouver.

Y'ever notice how a beautiful view is made even better by the mere presence in the frame of a wing strut or wing tip?

At least, to *me*.

Nice pics.

Back