Flying my PA-28 140

Pinstriper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Pinstriper
I've seen some posts regarding the PA-28's... Yesterday afternoon I took mine for a ride to do a few stalls, some turns (a few not so steep) and a bunch of slow flight.. Anyways I mounted a couple cameras on it and recorded the 1hr flight (but chopped it down to 14mins).

Boring to some of you I guess but others might find it entertaining.. I thought it was kinda cool as you can hear the impeding stall and also see the wing surface move with the buffeting..

Interesting. Doesn't it bother you to not land on the center line? Am I being too hard on myself by always trying to hit it?

How did you affix and secure the GoPro to the wing and stabilator?

I'd be really careful putting anything on the stabilator. I would never do that myself. You have no idea what the flutter characteristics or other issues might be.

Wing tie-downs, sure, maybe. Control surfaces, no way.

These are $40 KeyChain cameras.. I just use 3m package tape to hold them down..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DVR-80...tal_Video_Recorders_Cards&hash=item2a20f6c9a8

coupled with this external (very small) battery I get 200 mins of recording... also taped down.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/160707969178?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

IMG_9032_zps10900055.jpg

Am I being too hard on myself by always trying to hit it?

No, you're not. Keep working on always landing on centerline. You won't always have the luxury of a really wide runway. Being complacent could hurt you someday.

These are freakin tiny and hardly weight a thing.. Hocky my runway is 100' wide so the imaginary centerline is pretty wide! But agreed.. aim for it.
photo123_zps8040a4c5.jpg

Last edited:
I'd be really careful putting anything on the stabilator. I would never do that myself. You have no idea what the flutter characteristics or other issues might be.

Wing tie-downs, sure, maybe. Control surfaces, no way.
Agreed, not a good idea.

Surprisingly good video quality.

Great video and awesome setup! Love those little cams!

Shane
The Squawk Shoppe
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Indeed!
Also for those of you who are all goo-goo over those cams, there are a couple of things to know. 1 is, that there are several of those cams that look the exact same, but are substantially cheaper, i.e. $8-$15. In order to utilize them the way that Pinstriper does, you need to get the #16 v3 with either lens A (standard lens) lens B (IR Lens wide) or D (120 deg widescreen fisheye).
Make sure you read the descriptions, as these are the only ones with the chargeable and auto record ability.

Shane
The Squawk Shoppe

Ur vid makes me want to go do some flying!!

Indeed!
Also for those of you who are all goo-goo over those cams, there are a couple of things to know. 1 is, that there are several of those cams that look the exact same, but are substantially cheaper, i.e. $8-$15. In order to utilize them the way that Pinstriper does, you need to get the #16 v3 with either lens A (standard lens) lens B (IR Lens wide) or D (120 deg widescreen fisheye).
Make sure you read the descriptions, as these are the only ones with the chargeable and auto record ability.

Shane
The Squawk Shoppe

You are absolutely correct! Still these are cheap, well made, great quality little cameras that are pretty handy to have around..

Great quality. I fly with a GoPro inside, and I might have to pick up a few of these for external use.

These are $40 KeyChain cameras.. I just use 3m package tape to hold them down..
coupled with this external (very small) battery I get 200 mins of recording... also taped down..

Great video, really like these little cameras. How much recording time do you get without the external battery?

With an 8g card I get 200mins.. So roughly over 3hrs.. They are also programmable, you can change many parameters within the camera..

Edited to add I'm not actually sure I could fit that much I this 8g card since most of the time I record just over an hour or so because editing can take forever)

Last edited:
With an 8g card I get 200mins.. So roughly over 3hrs.. They are also programmable, you can change many parameters within the camera..
What did you use to attach it? Double sided tape?

Clear Package tape. Just tape the living snot out of it and only leave the 2 buttons and the lens exposed. I shoulda got a pic of it. It's not pretty but it is deemed safe, taped down tight and won't blow off. I'll see if I can't mock it up this weekend if you'd like.. I did order some brackets for them and will see if I can use them (along with tape as well for safety) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mounting-Ba...734?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item258c9711fe

The wheel pant sure flops at touchdown. Do they crack often?

The wheel pant sure flops at touchdown. Do they crack often?
Funny you mention that... I just repaired them... And after reviewing the video they sure do move a lot! Wow! They are on there tight but dang! I'm gonna take another gander at them!... Thanks for noticing..

Back