"Flying" Magazine

airdale

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
airdale
There was a recent thread about an obnoxious AOPA renewal letter. With today's mail I think Flying has topped them:

Like all magazines, Flying begins bombarding you with renewal offers within a month of your starting a subscription. None tell you when your current subscription expires, so I just ignore them all -- planning to renew about expiration time. Apparently I missed it this time.

I now have a letter, rimmed all around with a stripe of red ink, and headlined in bold "ACCOUNT DELINQUENT." It includes this gem: "Unfortunately, our billing department has begun non-payment procedures and your name will be added to our Account Delinquent files."

Also: "We assure you that this is not what we expected when we received your request for uninterrupted service ... " Whaa?!? Request for uninterrupted service? When pigs get N-numbers.

Too bad, actually. I like the magazine and would have renewed. But I am not going to reward this kind of crap.

That was on the outside of the envelope????? :eek:
No. Actually on the letter that was inside. The envelope, however, announced in red type that it was from the "Credit Department."

I hate how they do that as well. I've got probably 6 magazine subscriptions and they all renew at different times. Seems like they send out renewal notices when they aren't even close to actual expiration. Almost like they're trying to trip me up and double pay. Gotta stay on top of it to know when each actually expires.

I hate how they do that as well. I've got probably 6 magazine subscriptions and they all renew at different times. Seems like they send out renewal notices when they aren't even close to actual expiration. Almost like they're trying to trip me up and double pay. Gotta stay on top of it to know when each actually expires.

Yupp
And when you do a multi-year renewal, they aren't past sending a renewal request 19 months in advance.

Last time that happened, I wrote in large red magic marker: "GREEDY" and sent it back, shorted postage, without return address.
Post office didn't return it to me and the company sent back an apology (to which I didn't reply), so I guess it got thru.

The envelope, however, announced in red type that it was from the "Credit Department."

Maybe you don't give them enough credit .... :D

Seriously, though, this is becoming common practice, scaring customers into paying for service. Smart people walk away. Dumb sheeple oblige and pay out of fear and intimidation.
It seems to be working so why knock it, right? :mad2:

I once got a free subscription to Flying magazine. I found it to be worth about what I paid for it.

I once got a free subscription to Flying magazine. I found it to be worth about what I paid for it.

Have to agree with this.

I subscribe to Plane & Pilot and find that to be much more relevant to me and thus much more enjoyable to read.

Wow. Pretty risky strategy to embarrass customers with what looks like a collection notice in the mailbox. There are some tactics which would be a permanent relationship-ender for me, and I think this would be one.

The only reason I get it is because they offered me 2 years for five bucks. I can't wait to get my red striped letter, that's gonna be fun. :goofy:

On a related note...

I used to get Flying. I now get the AOPAPilot and EAA Sport Aviation.

Both worthwhile, but...

They can sit for a long time, unread, by my bed. I've gotten used to the interactivity and ability to respond in almost real time that I get when I'm on a forum. Magazines have started to seem too static, dated and one way, and I get through them very quickly if at all.

Anyone else notice this?

They sent be an offer I couldn't refuse -- like, six bucks for a YEAR.

At that price, I couldn't refuse, and I've enjoyed reading the mag, although it's still aimed more at the turbine crowd than I would like..

I quit reading that rag about thirty years ago when they deserted GA.

Come on, they have great puff pieces on $30MM bizjets that none of us will ever see the the inside of.

And yes, I ended a sentence with a preposition.

Wow. Pretty risky strategy to embarrass customers with what looks like a collection notice in the mailbox. There are some tactics which would be a permanent relationship-ender for me, and I think this would be one.

If it came with a return postage stamp, wrap a brick in shipping paper and attach the envelope, no return address.

Come on, they have great puff pieces on $30MM bizjets that none of us will ever see the the inside of.

And you did a good job at it.

I agree. I can't remember the last time they talked about an airplane that i have any reasonable hope of flying. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last airplane they talked about one that didn't require a type rating. Then again, I have not bought or read the magazine in years. AOPA and EAA magazines plus Kitplane. Of the three I enjoy Kitplane the most.

And you did a good job at it.

I agree. I can't remember the last time they talked about an airplane that i have any reasonable hope of flying. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last airplane they talked about one that didn't require a type rating. Then again, I have not bought or read the magazine in years. AOPA and EAA magazines plus Kitplane. Of the three I enjoy Kitplane the most.
They're doing something with a Mooney in the most recent issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

On a related note...

Both worthwhile, but...

They can sit for a long time, unread, by my bed. I've gotten used to the interactivity and ability to respond in almost real time that I get when I'm on a forum. Magazines have started to seem too static, dated and one way, and I get through them very quickly if at all.

Anyone else notice this?
It's always been the case with magazines that there are a few articles that interest you and the rest are skipped. Just more noticeable when you can view or discuss many more topics you find interesting. And discussion stimulates in a different way than reading.

Magazines have started to seem too static, dated and one way, and I get through them very quickly if at all. Anyone else notice this?

Most of the world, it would seem!

I am struck by the feel and appearance of the EAA magazine. Content is not as focused on homebuilts as it once was, but I appreciate what they've done with the aesthetics.

Sadly, I was noticing this as I bundled a big pile of back issues for the landfill, having finally admitted to myself I would not find time to sift through looking for the few articles that excited me.

I dumped that magazine years ago. Too many back to back articles at the same time from AOPA and Flying about the latest Mooney or whatever, and columns about "Flying the Line". Plus, I had too many magazines coming in the mail to read, they were one of the ones that didn't make the cut.

I agree. I can't remember the last time they talked about an airplane that i have any reasonable hope of flying.

In their defense, this isn't the '50's or '60's with new types being introduced regularly and the existing types being substantially upgraded on a nearly annual basis. They just don't have much piston GA to write about unless you want to read another article on the latest C-172 where they changed the color of the carpet or switched tire brands.

<edit> Which is why most of these magazines are obsolete. There's very little to write about. The people running these franchises are simply riding out the decline of both the magazine industry and the light aviation business. They are in an honest-to-gosh sunset industry.

Last edited:
On a related note...

Both worthwhile, but...

Anyone else notice this?

Exactly. Years ago I used to subscribe to lots of magazines. nowadays I'm down to cycle world, and flying, and will not renew either one of these once the subscription runs out.

I had Architectural Digest send me letters that appeared to be from a collection agency.
I gave them a lot of grief over that one. Won't ever deal with a CondeNasty publication again, what a bunch of bozos. Print is dying and these clowns would rather crap all over their dwindling readership than behaving nicely.

Print is dying and these clowns would rather crap all over their dwindling readership than behaving nicely.

They are desperate. They are trying to save their jobs, jobs that are comfortable, interesting and helps them support a nice lifestyle. They are also trying to keep stockholders happy and pay for expensive, fancy buildings in nice cities.

What would you do in their shoes?

I'm a big subscriber of magazines. I have all the flying magazines, Architectural Digest, National Geographic, Hollywood Reporter, Cinefex, American Cinematographer, IFR Refresher, IFR Magazine etc. There's something nice about sitting down with a cup of coffee and opening up a fresh magazine.. And it's so cheap to subscribe to most of them.

That said, I absolutely hate AOPA's bullying to renew 2 years in advance. And I've noticed other mags have started doing the same. But AOPA's charity mugging practices take the cake. Every week there's some letter from them asking for a handout.

PCH must love you.
Can't your just see Ed McMahon sauntering up to your door to offer you the world?
:)

Can't your just see Ed McMahon sauntering up to your door to offer you the world?:)

Considering Ed McMahon is dead, if he were to knock on my door, I'd crap my pants and run for the hills (I'd rip the ten million dollar check out of his hand first, though)

If you're a ramprat you can see the inside! :) Then after you see it you can get treated like crap by Netjet pilots. (I'm an engineer now, but still bitter)

I only enjoy the Sport Aviation magazine EAA puts out. EAA is the only aviation organization I belong to even though I'm not much into kit planes.

I know it wrecks the mood, but how about some factual info on Flying mag? ;)

For November, there are articles on:

- The new Tecnam P2010 (an Italian composite, 4-seat, Cessna 172 killer). This is the cover story.

- A King Air conversion/upgrade.

- A column by a woman who hates Oshkosh (No, really! In an aviation magazine! WTF?)

- A fairly interesting (and unique) article on the tension between our rights to privacy and the FAA's penchant for surveillance into every aspect of our flying lives.

- All the usual columnists.

So, the cover story was actually about GA. Of course, it's for a plane that costs $350K (the "introductory price"!), will sell less than 50 copies, and has almost no support in the U.S., but it IS actually a GA plane.

The other major article was on upgrading a turbine twin for "only" $999K. I'm sure that appeals to someone.

Needless to say, I found almost nothing of interest in this edition. Of course, I paid $0.50 for it, which is less than my island's weekly newspaper cost, so I don't feel too ripped off.

I like Flying, and found this last issue to be really well done.

There is a Tecam 2010 LSA at our airport, it's a beautiful bird, so I was really interested in reading about its big brother.

I suppose they could have done a PA-28 review instead, which might have been interesting to.........somebody. I guess. But of course a new PA-28 costs over $300,000, so who would buy one of those anyway?

The lady who hates Oshkosh is one of the best aviation writers out there. She certainly has credentials. I suppose some very thin skinned EAA member might not like to hear that not every pilot in the world likes Airventure. Others of us like to hear different points of view.

But I suppose Flying could have written the ten millionth article about how great Airventure is. And in fact they do that every year.

I really think Flying has greatly improved since Collins retired. We get more Peter Garrison now, which is great. The only thing I wish they'd do is move the accident summaries from the front to the back.

I mean, if there is a cool cover picture of an RV-7 that gets me interested and the first article lists a bunch of fatal accidents, that kind of dampens my enthusiasm.

I think Flying is the best magazine of its kind and will continue to subscribe. Sometimes you just gotta suck it up and overlook the warts. :yes:

OP here. As I said, I like the magazine. Especially several of the columns. It's silly, maybe, because they really don't care, but would have renewed if I hadn't gotten this obnoxious letter.

Having all the TBM's and G650's on the cover of Flying I have no problem with. It's supposed to be aspirational. Look at Car & Driver - all but Ferraris or Viper on the covers, never a Chevy Spark or Scion IQ.

Having all the TBM's and G650's on the cover of Flying I have no problem with. It's supposed to be aspirational. Look at Car & Driver - all but Ferraris or Viper on the covers, never a Chevy Spark or Scion IQ.
Excellent point.

Of course, I might subscribe to a car magazine that reviewed real cars that real people drive. Are there any?

Of course, I might subscribe to a car magazine that reviewed real cars that real people drive. Are there any?
There's a fundamental difference in the audiences, I think. Car magazines appeal to those who have to drive real cars but want to slaver over the unobtainable. There are some nuts-and-bolts magazines out there, but they still feature "completed" projects that most people won't even get close to. Your Scions or Malibus make rare appearances. Antiques are occasionally featured, but they're mostly in the dedicated collector-type magazines.

Aviation magazines are, for the most part, shooting for the more practical side. Safety, basic maintenance, changes in the rules that control us. We'll see pieces about the "Chevy"-level aircraft, and recurring features on classic and antique aircraft, all in the same magazine. Unlike car magazines, aviation magazines try to appeal to both those whose emphasis is sport and fun, AND those who use the vehicles for business or otherwise professional transportation.

Flying seems to try to appeal to the "dreamer" market like car magazines, but the major truth is that few of us (other than the hoteliers :) are going to be able to afford the multi-megabuck bizjets.

Pilots, I think, are much more practical than the typical 18-year-old car nut, and thus aren't as interested in planes that are completely out of their reach. That starry-eyed eighteen-year-old THINKS that someday he'll be able to afford a Buttati Veyron; but until then, the new Chevy Camaro looks pretty spiffy, and he might be able to afford a used one in a few years.

Ron Wanttaja

Back