Flying into OBX

TylerSC

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TylerSC
I am planning to make my first real XC flight with my new private pilot certificate to Manteo next weekend. I am coming from the southwest, KCUB to be precise - there are a lot of restricted areas in the way just before getting to KMQI. Are these usually active or not active? If active I'm planning to basically follow 64 in from the west.

Most restricted areas are cold on the weekends in my experience. But the easiest thing to do is just get flight following.

The sectional says to contact Cherry Point for the status of the MOA's. If they're active, than I'd turn around Plymouth and join V189 and follow that in. If you're on FF they should let you know what needs to be known.

I went to Manteo last April, great people loved it there

One thing was that there were some really nasty gusty winds. It might be good to start looking at the winds and see what they're looking like this time of year

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

First Flight helped me put "massive win!" Into perspective. Truly beautiful place

Oh one thing for the folks not from there, it's pronounced Man-E-O

If you're going to rent a car, do so from the FBO at MQI, rather than Enterprise. I made the mistake of the latter last year and paid far too much in comparison.

Theres also a courtesy car and some decent restaurants close by. +1 for stopping by FFA and walking around the monument... 5min flight from manteo.

The sectional says to contact Cherry Point for the status of the MOA's. If they're active, than I'd turn around Plymouth and join V189 and follow that in. If you're on FF they should let you know what needs to be known.

If you come in on the weekend, you're probably fine as 5314 is usually cold. Regardless, if you come from the west and hit V-189 it will take you directly between the restricted area and straight to KMQI. Have a nice flight. If you get a chance to linger, land at KFFA and walk up to the monument and cruise down to Cape Hatteras and Ocracoke Island.

Once at KFFA, if you walk from the AOPA hut over to the right of the monument, and across the grass to the metal Wright flier, continue on and turn left on Collington Road, then down the road to the stoplight, there's a dairy queen less than a mile away (stretch your legs!) and you can enjoy some ice cream goodness before walking back and flying out.

Actually, even if the R-areas are active, just ask. I've had the facilities there allow me everything from having them suspend firing until I got through to just letting me cut the corner over LeJeune to same some time.

Actually, even if the R-areas are active, just ask. I've had the facilities there allow me everything from having them suspend firing until I got through to just letting me cut the corner over LeJeune to same some time.
True.

If you look at the chart, most if those restricted areas are "continuous." So be prepared to plan around them. But, as an example, Cherry Point Approach is very friendly and will usually based clearance on current activity. Most negative conversation I've had was, "any chance of flying direct through the restricted area," followed by ,"Stand by. I'll see." Came back in a few minutes with, "Sorry. Unable at this time."

...and the thread would not be complete without suggesting Ocracoke and a visit to Howard's Pub (they will pick you up) or arranging a bicycle rental (some facilities will drop them at the airport) for an easy ride into and around town.

Thanks y'all - I'll be there for two weeks, so I'm definitely planning some local flights. Any good fly-in restaurants to the west?

I am planning to make my first real XC flight with my new private pilot certificate to Manteo next weekend. I am coming from the southwest, KCUB to be precise - there are a lot of restricted areas in the way just before getting to KMQI. Are these usually active or not active? If active I'm planning to basically follow 64 in from the west.

Enjoy it and report back to us how it went! Was thinking about using that as my long XC for commercial, it is only 249.2 NM....still planning on making that trip there before long anyway!

Will do - the plan is to pick up flight following ASAP and be prepared to avoid the restricted areas if necessary.

Ground control to TylerSC
Upon return, report your position and squawk VFR (vacation fun report)

we'll be waiting

ps.. good luck! Very exciting..

This. We were given the go ahead to fly through them more often than not. We owned a house on Ocracoke and used to go there all the time.

...and the thread would not be complete without suggesting Ocracoke and a visit to Howard's Pub (they will pick you up) or arranging a bicycle rental (some facilities will drop them at the airport) for an easy ride into and around town.

Anchor Steam beer, steamed oysters on a cracker with a dash of Tabasco sauce. Heaven. I miss that.

The wife is chomping at the bit for summer to start, so we're gonna make a quick hop down to MQI on Tuesday for an overnight. Looking forward to it!

The wind at MQI is always blowing fairly good. 10-20 knots. Just be prepared for that. Very nice airport...

IMG_2690.JPG IMG_2703.JPG IMG_2706.JPG
Ground control to TylerSC
Upon return, report your position and squawk VFR (vacation fun report)

we'll be waiting

ps.. good luck! Very exciting..

Great trip! From CUB I stopped first at Clinton-Sampson County CTZ for fuel and a break - my longest leg so far. Unfortunately I did not realize the pumps there are not self serve, and at 11am on Sunday no one was there.

After a short break, I picked Plymouth PMZ as a fuel stop. It had self-serve avgas and was well situated if the restricted areas were active. However, along the way I was handed off to Cherry Point, and I found out that the restricted areas were cold. So, I decided to change plans and divert to Washington-Warren County OCW, whch was more in line with my course.

Really nice little airport. I got my first experience with the gusty coastal crosswinds. There is also a really tall treeline right by the fence, and when I was taking off again, a gust of disturbed crosswind rolled me to the right, a lot, when I was about 10 ft off the ground. I used opposite rudder and aileron and relaxed back pressure to make sure I had good flying speed in reserve. I'm going to watch carefully for that setup in the future. Another drop in the experience bucket.

I headed direct to Dare County MQI. This was mostly uneventful, but there were few good landing options. At some point, ditching would have been my choice. There were lots of boats around so that didnt seem like too bad of an option.

Arrival at MQI was gusty, as expected, with a 60 degree crosswind, but I actually pulled off a very gentle landing. As I got her tied down, there were skydivers spiraling and whooping down directly overhead, and a WWII biplane coming in to land. Pretty good time!

Attachments

• IMG_2714.JPG
    IMG_2714.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2720.JPG
    IMG_2720.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 7
Well done sir!

I hate the windy tree line surprises, especially on landing.

I'm assuming that's a selfie so you were solo the whole time?

Back