flying into Myrtle beach KMYR

rgrentz

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
rgrentz
I am planning on flying to Myrtle beach from Pittsburgh, KAFJ to KMYR. Has anyone flown there and have any tips or things to watch out for? My route is going to be KAFJ, CKB V103, CTF V259 ,FLO KMYR, for now or unless I get re-routed, or if you guys have anyother suggestions. I will be on an IFR Flt plan, so when I file do I need to specify all the VORs that the Victor Airway passes thru? Or just state the Victor ariway that I will be on until I have to change to a new one? I will have VFR GPS Garmin 696 and 530 aero, both with xm weather. and I put that in the info box on the flt plan and sometimes the controller will give me direct, which is always nice. Thanks for your help and suggestions. ROB

I will be on an IFR Flt plan, so when I file do I need to specify all the VORs that the Victor Airway passes thru?

I will have VFR GPS Garmin 696 and 530 aero, both with xm weather. and I put that in the info box on the flt plan and sometimes the controller will give me direct, which is always nice.

How do you accept a direct clearance without means to legally navigate it? I'm not necessarily saying what you're doing is wrong, just that the IFR GPS requirements were beaten into my head during IFR training...

Are you ok accepting direct as long as you're in radar coverage?

Take a look in the AFD and see if there is a TEC route. If there is one, you will most likely get it so you can plan accordingly.

The controllers may give you direct,if you put the GPS info ,in the remarks section.

I only accept the GPS direct if it is VFR conditions. I like to be on an IFR Flt plan for longer trips, for radar coverage and incase weather gets funky. Thanks

I only accept the GPS direct if it is VFR conditions. I like to be on an IFR Flt plan for longer trips, for radar coverage and incase weather gets funky. Thanks
I'm not sure you can legally accept direct if you are IFR with a VFR GPS.

I've been in there. Nice FBO, nice people. I don't remember anything particularly difficult about getting in or out. We were staying like 5 minutes from the airport, so it was very convenient. Very scenic, so don't forget to keep your mind on what you're doing.

Take a look in the AFD and see if there is a TEC route. If there is one, you will most likely get it so you can plan accordingly.

From Pittsburgh to Myrtle Beach? Pretty doubtful. TEC is something you get with short flights in densely populated areas so you can hop from TRACON to TRACON.

Something like fltplan.com or Foreflight would be the easiest way to get common routings, but regardless, that wasn't the question. It sounded more like he was asking if he could file Victor routes themselves or if he would have to file each point along the Victor. Certainly you can just file with a starting point, the airway designator, and the exit point.

How does VMC make a difference in whether you may accept a direct clearance under IFR?

Fwiw, along your route, direct clearances are pretty much standard if you're able to accept them. I wouldn't worry too much if you choose to go VFR- all of the ATC facilities along your route are good about providing flight following so no worries.

Enjoy your flight.

ForeFlight spit out this route as the latest approved routing.

KAFJ AKSAR V37 EKN V103 GSO V373 SDZ V3 FLO CLETA KMYR

When are you going? I'd like to hear updates because Myrtle Beach is on my short list of places to go this summer from Maryland

I'll be headn there Sat. if the weather is cooperative, Thanks for all your inmput and advice

KMYR is also on my list as an overnight stop on a trip I have planned this summer. I'd love any info about things to do in the area for the short time we'll be there, as well as info on the airport and FBOs.

KMYR is also on my list as an overnight stop on a trip I have planned this summer. I'd love any info about things to do in the area for the short time we'll be there, as well as info on the airport and FBOs.

you flying to Myrtle Beach from San Diego? Lucky you.:thumbsup:

From Pittsburgh to Myrtle Beach? Pretty doubtful. TEC is something you get with short flights in densely populated areas so you can hop from TRACON to TRACON.

To do TEC, you have to remain within approach control airspace the whole flight.

The east coast is not like California. You will be bouncing back and forth between Centers and Approach the whole way.

They have been paving and several of the taxiways have been closed. You might want to plan your landing to turn off on an open taxiway. In addition the rubber gasket between the taxiway sections is lifted in certain areas. It makes for a bumpy taxi. I picked up some debris and had a blowout there earlier this year, so try to really stay directly over on the taxi line, do not cut corners turning into the FBO. If you fly IFR they will have a van guide you into the FBO parking, look for the flashing lights on the van. There is also a lot of helicopter traffic doing sight seeing over Broadway at the Beach. I try to keep at little altitude to avoid them. There is only one runway and so be ready for a crosswind landing.

Jimmy

If capable, you would be cleared direct based on my experience. I do Pittsburgh to Raleigh and Raleigh to Myrtle all the time.

If you are committed to filing IFR all the time (like I am) and are not technically capable equipment-wise, my understanding is that you need to file airways. Once in the air you can ask or you will be asked if you can navigate direct and you can be cleared direct 'on you own navigation' or something like that I believe.

I would fly VFR if possible and if I had to for a direct routing. The only thing you may need to watch out for is the Restricted air near Ft Bragg.

That particular flight is often subject to wind effects that can be managed with altitude and timing. Often picking the right altitude/day of week can knock significant time off your flight.

I suggest North Myrtle airport for service and convenience on the ground but Myrtle is fine if you are staying nearby. Many of the nicer places to stay and hang are closer to N. Myrtle but that's all relative.

As stated, you only need to enter the airways with legit starting and ending points. It's your responsiblity to fill in the intermediate points on you nav equipment if it doesn't do it for you (e.g. Garmin 430/530).

I have no idea what a 530 Aero is but it sounds like a phone/tablet.

Perfect timing. That's the start of Spring Rally bike week. My route PHL - route 95 - MYR. (Driving a truck hauling motorcycles)

I am flying into north myrtle kcre next week. Depending on where you stay it may be more convenient?

I have no idea what a 530 Aero is but it sounds like a phone/tablet.

I assume it's actually an Aera 510, the current version Garmin's handheld series, like the older 196, 296, 496...

I don't know how many they really sell anymore, though, with all the iPad users out there. Personally I have zero interest in a $599, 4.3" resistive-touchscreen device compared to an iPad mini for the same price range.

I am flying into north myrtle kcre next week. Depending on where you stay it may be more convenient?

We'll be getting a hotel for the night, but have zero plans so far. Myrtle was just the nearest flight planning location for when the tanks are getting low. Figured we could land and find something to do for the afternoon/evening.

I just got back from the trip to MYR but we were choose to stop short and land at KFLO then drive to MYR (about a 1.5 hr drive to myrtle). We choose to stop short due to the tropical storm and the high winds at MYR. the trip was pretty straight forward, I filed airways and VORs but once airborne I got to go direct. Same thing on the way home. Clear skys for the most part but low overcast when I got home and had to do the ILS. FYI the ppl at KFLO were great and the fuel was $4.45 full service. Thanks for all your help and advise ROB

I live in Wilmington NC so a quick trip to KMYR and often flew there for training for my PPL. I also took my check ride there. Within my experience it's usually not very busy and very fun to fly into. Controllers are real nice and the scenery isn't too bad either!

I just flew into MYR for the first time last weekend. Pretty easy and straightforward, controllers were real nice. Had flight following from CLT, flew VFR over some beautiful clouds, got a few vectors on approach to avoid traffic, taxied to the fbo and got some popcorn and a bottle of water, went home lol (building time in the arrow/complex). They WERE gonna charge us a landing fee unless we got 12 gallons of fuel, which we did. I've also flown into North Myrtle (KCRE) a few times and they are real easy to work with as well.

Back