Flying into DTS (Destin) - any advice?

LouisianaLady

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
LouisianaLady
Any advice for flying into DTS on a busy Memorial Day Weekend? Flying in with my CFI this weekend for the first time (still a student). Wanted to train at DTS b/c this will be one of my primary destinations once I finish my PPL.

Any thoughts / advice? Best FBO? :D

Any advice for flying into DTS on a busy Memorial Day Weekend? Flying in with my CFI this weekend for the first time (still a student). Wanted to train at DTS b/c this will be one of my primary destinations once I finish my PPL.

If you haven't already:

I flew through there early morning when there wasn't much going on and Eglin approach was very good at pretending they are busy (by talking faster than auctioneer on meth).

The course mentioned above is excellent. Regal Air is fantastic. They'll give you a free shuttle ride to and from anywhere between the bridges.

Good luck!

Here's a pic from one of my recent flights there:

Attachments

• Destin500-2.JPG
    Destin500-2.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 94
That is beautiful ! I can't wait ! Was unsure about Regal Air vs Destin Jet. Thanks !

Seriously...keep your eyes open and working all the time! It's not even funny how much military traffic is operating in the area. Was cleared for my pattern entry into Destin by Eglin Approach in a Cessna 441. Entered downwind over the water...flying along fat, dumb, and happy, taking in all the scenery...just happened to look below me to see two V-22s in formation that I was not alerted to. It was a lesson learned, and one I've not forgotten. I've been back several times since.

DTS was one of my 'busier' flights; why is it pax only want to go there on the busiest days of the year?!

I'd probably get flight following or go IFR if that's an option. I've used Destin Jet every time I've gone. I believe the other FBO had high prices until it had competition, but I guess that's not the case any more.

Be careful leaving. They have a weird way of doing it. You have to get clearance from Eglin. They have a little radio room in the back. I believe you can also do it from the plane, but I've had issues with poor ground reception.

I flew VFR in and out once on a not-so-busy day. The procedure is fairly simple. I came from the east, so I was on with Tyndall approach and then Eglin once I passed Tyndall.

1) You have to be talking to someone through the E-W corridor. You must have an explicit clearance through the N-S corridor.
2) Make sure you're on your A-game with communications. Eglin machine-gunned instructions to me when I checked in with them. YMMV
3) Be especially alert for traffic. Other than GA, there's military aircraft, training, helicopters and some other low-level aerial activity. Try not to extend your downwind if landing on 14. You don't want to venture too close to Eglin.
4) Contact Eglin Clearance Delivery BEFORE departing DTS. The only time you don't need to contact Eglin is if you're staying in the pattern.

I also read in the news recently that the local government approved funds to build a tower at KDTS. Even with flying in there once, I can see the justification.

It's also a VERY beautiful flight. Seeing the bay and gulf from above is wonderful!

I fly into DTS weekly and it's an absolutely beautiful place to go. I would review the class as mentioned above. Also, as mentioned, consider flight following(IFR not an option cinsidering you're a PPL Student,) but I've had them forget about me too.

I use Destin Jet. There is a landing fee without fuel purchase, but they have a crew car too.

Someone mentioned departure being tricky. There are probably 5 or so huge red signs telling you to contack Eglin Departure on 12X.XX. It's almost impossible to miss them. They do always ask if I'm familar with the North/South corridor and then tell me to fly south of the coast at or below 1000 until cleard on course. I have gotten that exact departure clearance at least 4 out of the last 6 times.

All in all it isn't that horrible. The military traffic is dense but so are some local areas all over the country. Enjoy your flight and you'll get to see things like this...

Attachments

• DTS.jpg
    DTS.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 86
It's been pretty quiet the three times I've been... Weird.

I can't offer much help as we were IFR. Don't know anything about VFR ops.

I learned to fly at DTS and memorial day weekend will certainly be challenging. Destin Jet is my preference but both are great.

Flight following will make the trip easier, be on your game and listen closely because approach will be busy this weekend. If you stay south of the coast, build in a little more spacing from the beach to get you clear of the banner tows, helicopter tours, and military transiting along the beach low and close to the beach.

Once approach hands you off is when it will get exciting. It would not be unusual to be jockeying for a spot in the pattern with half a dozen others and half a dozen planes in line to get airborne. This could be 4 light planes in a typical pattern and 2 or 3 biz jets either trying to do a straight in or flying a pattern, but it will be a big pattern.

IFR departures typically get held when its busy and it can lead to a stack of planes lined up and waiting so when it is your turn to get out take an intersection if you can. The departure procedure is fairly easy. Call clearance, get your squawk and listen. If you depart on 14 it typically will be stay "south of the coast at or below 1000 until in contact with ATC on 132.1" or if you depart 32 "execute a left downwind departure within 1 mile of the end of the runway and then remain south of the coastline at or below 1000 until in contact with ATC on 132.1". So take off get south of the coast, and clear of the pattern and then switch to approach "nxxxxx off of destin at 1000" then they will probably have you ident and then instruct you. They can be busy so it may be a couple minutes before they get back to you.

Overall it can be challenging if you aren't comfortable working with ATC and a busy non towered airport but its very doable. Just remember that Eglin doesn't own the pattern and isn't responsible for what happens in it.

Oh and for all that is holy do not try and do a right base, and call it a straight in, when everyone is using left traffic. Its selfish and unsafe. (Im looking at you biz jets.)

1.) Destin is one of my favorite places to fly.
2.) Especially on a holiday weekend when you look down and see all the suckers in cars backed up on the Mid-Bay bridge
3.) I always file IFR so I get handed to Eglin automatically as I approach the area.
4.) As Pop Yank says above, Eglin doesn't own the pattern and it can be quite the circus sometimes, head on a swivel and all that.
5.) If ever a place deserved to be a class D, or at least have a temporary tower for the summer season, this is it!
6.) Head over to Pompano Joe's for lunch. Food is ok, but sitting on the beach with the wind in your hair is priceless.

That is beautiful ! I can't wait ! Was unsure about Regal Air vs Destin Jet. Thanks !

They are owned by the same guy! :D Use Flight Following and it's not a big deal, just pay attention to what they tell you and keep your eyes open. Not much different from any other busy uncontrolled field with a military base next door. :D
You do have to have a clearance to take off, not a big deal, but you need to call Eglin approach either on the phone at the FBO or from the airplane on the radio. Watch for banner tows, they are good about announcing position, a few low level military choppers just off the beach, Eglin will point them out.
Enjoy yourself and laugh at the people stuck in traffic, I'll be there Friday evening at Regal Air. :yes:

I've only been there twice: Memorial Day weekends of 2013 and 2014. Like everyone said, it gets busy and you have to pay attention but nothing too crazy. I always fly IFR so that helps.

Adult Spring Break in Sandestin over the weekend is a blast. Kind of bummed I don't get to go this year...

The traffic on the roads is nuts in that area on holidays.

Traffic will seem to crawl with a tower. I'm betting the traffic count will go down.
Please prove me wrong.

Im not entirely sure how well a tower will work out either. Im hoping it fixes the safety problems without to much loss of traffic but I do think it will make an already complicated airspace more complicated. Because the tower will have to keep patterns just as tight as they already are to prevent conflict with Eglin. We will see...

The traffic on the roads is nuts in that area on holidays.

The traffic here is crazy from late april to late september.

It will be a great experience for you. Fly the corridor and keep your eyes and ears open. Be on your game looking for traffic in the pattern. Great airport,enjoy.

OP, was that you doing touch and goes around 5:00 today? :dunno: I landed and the pattern was pretty full, with a female pilot doing touch and goes, just thought it might be you. I should have asked on the radio.:D

Lol yes it was me. Pattern got pretty full so we stopped. Hated to do it on a busy weekend but I really want to learn this airport bc it will be my main mission. Hope I didn't hold you up :)

Lol yes it was me. Pattern got pretty full so we stopped. Hated to do it on a busy weekend but I really want to learn this airport bc it will be my main mission. Hope I didn't hold you up :)

Nobody holds up Big John.....

He is the Alpha male on POA.....:yes:.......:D

Last edited:

No, not at all. It's a busy place on a Friday in the summer, even busier on Fridays before a long weekend. I was in the Conquest that landed right behind you on one of your T&G's. The girl riding right seat thought something was wrong when you took off again. :D

Agreed on the FAASafety online course! I watched it last month in prep for a trip coming up--it really helped me decipher the chart and understand the visual checkpoints in play around Eglin and Destin!

Back