Flying into Boise (first time)

woodchucker

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
woodchucker
Also a new pilot flying outside of my local area of SLC for the first time. Just looking for some guidance, and double-checking my own thoughts. Training here in SLC did a good job at reinforcing the Bravo airspace procedures, and I assume class C is relatively similar. Looking at Foreflight frequencies, and coming from the south, I assume I would contact what Foreflight calls "Big Sky Approach" prior to entering the airspace, on 119.6. If that is correct, then everything else will be assigned by controllers so no problem. Is it a good idea to let them know you have never flown into their airspace?

Something else I'm not real familiar with is normal departure procedures. At SLC, there are "spots" where we call up ground prior to passing them and requesting permission to taxi with clearance. Is that standard for all major airports? Should I expect a "spot" to stop at and contact ground?

Sorry for the newbie questions. I know ATC will straighten me out regardless, but why not try to iron out a few things prior to that? :)

I think POA has one or two poster's from Boise so maybe they'll provide local info. When I overflew Boise last June approach was the bog standard ATC looking out for "their" aircraft - fine folks to talk to.

It won't hurt to say you're unfamiliar with the area, particularly if given a VFR reporting point or have trouble seeing the airport. Boise didn't look - it is right beside an interstate so there is a large visual reference beside it.

The ATIS will likely have info on who to talk too (CD or ground) prior to movement. If you call the wrong folks, no big deal. Be ready to copy/enter a beacon code when ya call'em.

I fly into Boise on my way to and from Seattle fro Denver each year. It is a fairly easy airport. Easier than most class B airport. Yea contact Big sky approach when you are about 20 miles out.

whe you are on the ground and are ready to leave I would first do your run up on the ramp if you can. The call clearance delivery. Tell them Cessna 1234n, bla bla fbo, will be departing VFR eastbound with bravo. They will give you a departure frequency and a transponder code. Now call ground just like at a Delta airport and taxi to runway. contact tower the same as at a delta airport. Now just after takeoff they will say Cessna 1234n contact departure. That is where that original frequency that clearance delivery gave you will come in handy. have it ready in the standby.

This is the same procedure you would also use typically departing a bravo airport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You will probably be on flight following so they will hand you off to Big Sky Approach. If not contact them on 119.6 just west of Mountain Home. Just follow the freeway and it will take you right to final approach on runways 10 or you will see the airport in plenty of time for the right downwind to 28. You might not be able to get ATIS until about 10 miles out on 123.9. They will ask what FBO you are going to. Western Air is on the south side and Jackson jet center on the north and that will determine what runway they give you. Tower will be 118.1. When you leave listen to ATIS then contact Clearance Delivery on 125.9. If you depart on 28L the taxi way can get a little confusing. Ground is friendly so don't hesitate to ask for progressive taxi. Nampa is about 10 miles southwest if you want to hop over there and has a good restaurant for lunch and the Warhawk Museum is very good. Western Air has crew cars for just gas if you want to drive into downtown Boise for lunch. A lot of great food to be had there. When are you coming up? Don

When are you coming up? Don

Tomorrow! I've got a friend that lives nearby. I actually suggested Nampa but he said Boise was closer, so that is where I'm going. Do you fly out of there regularly? Thanks for the info btw. One thing that isn't really covered in training is all the finer points. Obviously flying into non-towered airports is no big deal, but this will definitely be a learning experience!

I already called Western Aviation about what to expect (no ramp fees for the smaller aircraft so that is cool).

One particular question, if my friend wants a ride in the aircraft, where would be a cool place to overfly that is local? Not more than 30 minutes out of Boise?

when you are on the ground and are ready to leave I would first do your run up on the ramp if you can.

Oh, see, it's things like this that I wasn't thinking about! I am used to running up nearby the runway at KSLC, but looking at the t/w diagram there really isn't a place for it at KBOI. Thanks for the heads up!

You can go out to the southwest to the foothills and the Snake River. There is some nice country that way. There are big run up areas at the ends of the runways. I don't like to do a run up and then have a long taxi and risk loading up the plugs. Don't break from your usual run up routine, that's how bad stuff happens. I'm over at Nampa a couple of times a month. I fly a Super Cub out of there and also hang out at Warhawk. I'm in Twin Falls so wave on your way over. Don

As John said, Boise is a very easy Class C airport, nowhere near as busy as a Class B like SLC. Normal, relaxed, Class C procedures apply. Contact them 20 miles out as the chart says (it's not ForeFlight that calls it Big Sky Approach; it's what the FAA calls it).

Strictly a matter of personal comfort but I wouldn't bother saying I was unfamiliar in advance unless you do that at every towered airport you go to. The only times I use that phrase is when ATC give me some local reporting point I don't know or when receiving complex taxi instructions.

Were you able to make the flight? The wind looks to be miserable today.

Were you able to make the flight? The wind looks to be miserable today.

Yeah, I did. Added a new element I need to ask you experienced folks: how in the heck do you manage a smooth landing with 20 kts gusting up the runway? I felt like the plane was hovering, but each gust changed the vertical distance from the runway. I never really got a flare out of it.

Anyways it was a great day to fly, other than that.

Yeah, I did. Added a new element I need to ask you experienced folks: how in the heck do you manage a smooth landing with 20 kts gusting up the runway? I felt like the plane was hovering, but each gust changed the vertical distance from the runway. I never really got a flare out of it.

some days it's like that...and keep practicing...some folks have amazing concentration and reflexes but they are few and far between so the rest of us just land the darn plane on days like that

Yeah, I did. Added a new element I need to ask you experienced folks: how in the heck do you manage a smooth landing with 20 kts gusting up the runway?
Sometimes you do; sometimes you don't. Add the standard 1/2 the gust factor to your approach speed and do the best you can.

Adjust speed for gust factor,the landing should be a little smoother ,without tendency to drop out of the sky.

Anyways it was a great day to fly, other than that.

Take what you get. If you didn't have to go back on the runway and pick up parts you did fine. :D

Yep, that's the one. I was worried you weren't going to get there in this lifetime with the ground speeds I was seeing. :)

Yep, that's the one. I was worried you weren't going to get there in this lifetime with the ground speeds I was seeing. :)

hahaha... yeah... that is a 1969 skyhawk. Walking would have been faster!

Back