Flying instruments on Redbird Jay

Blueangel

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Scott
So I bought the new Redbird Jay simulator with the allow Redbird rudder pedals and so far really like it. Here's a pic flying approach on the ILS to KMYF.

I like the yoke feel much like more expensive sims from Elite and only downside to me is that add on stuff like Saitek external devices don't work with it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 145
Thanks yeah I really like the Jay for the money feels realistic. Its not perfect but probably the most affordable realistic simulator for the money. I wanted a FTS but it was 2k more and without a CFII cannot get credit anyways.

Wait so you can't log any of your time on those?

No only the more expensive Redbird, Elite and FTS let you log time as ATD devices. I figure for training if it saves me 20-30 hours of wasted time and money it pays for itself and I can always sell it once done training and buy a real ATD next year but I love flying so knocking out approaches and holds each month in a real plane is the way to go.

IMO you would have been served just as well with flight simulator X and a saitek yoke and throttle quadrant for a few hundred. The Jay is nice but for the money I don't see the advantage especially if you can't use it for training or currency purposes.

But hey if you got the monies good for you. I'm just cheap/poor:)

True but I had a lot of issues with my last flight simulator using Saitek gear. It cost me a bunch to build the similar setup with gauges, radios, yoke and so forth. Anyways it works for me now. I will probably sell it after my ratings to get a normal ATD that I can log currency in.

I personally think my set up is fantastic and it's all saitek. Plus the variety you can set up on a PC is fun. The other day paid $20 for a glider, moved my controls around to utilize a throttle quadrant level as the air brake and attempted to learn how to fly a glider... Now will this help me in a real glider? Probably not but at least I'll know what the blue handle does.

That said I have 13 hours I think in a RedBird fix 1000 and even that lacks quite a bit of realism. Benefit was logging the hours and shooting 6 approaches in a hour.

Whatever works but so far I am quite happy with my Redbird Jay simulator. Its solid and works great. I will sell it after my IR and get a BATD once I have a plane and hangar. Then a CFII can drop by and I can get my currency and BFRs done.

Whatever works but so far I am quite happy with my Redbird Jay simulator. Its solid and works great. I will sell it after my IR and get a BATD once I have a plane and hangar. Then a CFII can drop by and I can get my currency and BFRs done.

If you're getting a plane why get BATD too? Just go fly!

Well the offer has to be accepted so it will take time. The plane I checked out today had a dozen folks looking at same time. Plus since I am not IR yet, the ceilings were not VFR today and a good sim day.

Well the offer has to be accepted so it will take time. The plane I checked out today had a dozen folks looking at same time. Plus since I am not IR yet, the ceilings were not VFR today and a good sim day.

If it wasn't VFR why didn't you take an IFR lesson? I ended up with about 6 hours of actual during my training and I count those as probably the best bang for the buck hours out the 35 I had when I took my checkride.

Because my CFII doesn't teach on weekends. Thats why I need a new CFII who teaches weekends.

How do you control the instruments? I assume click on the buttons using the mouse cursor?

Yes that's really the only complaint I have with it is you need to mouse click the instruments and radio panel.

On a PC version you can map certain functions to yoke and throttle buttons. Also pop the radios in and out for better visibility.

No only the more expensive Redbird, Elite and FTS let you log time as ATD devices. I figure for training if it saves me 20-30 hours of wasted time and money it pays for itself and I can always sell it once done training and buy a real ATD next year but I love flying so knocking out approaches and holds each month in a real plane is the way to go.

And you need a CFII signoff too, on those devices that are approved.

Correct and that's why I went with the Jay for practice in between lessons.

I prefer a homebuilt computer with a 40 inch screen as a monitor, for half the price. Never understood how Rayjay sold many of their simulator in a box.

I prefer a homebuilt computer with a 40 inch screen as a monitor, for half the price. Never understood how Rayjay sold many of their simulator in a box.

I think it's for people who don't want to mess with software and peripherals.

Back