Flying in the ice, flying in the storms

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Ah the mid-Atlantic.

I'm a renter, and at the moment, the most capable bird I can get at is a C172 w G1000. That's great, but a de-ice Saratoga (there are a few) would be nicer these days. We -just- got out of thunderstorms and we're going right into icing.

I'm often traveling from Maryland to states in the NE. The G1000 helps a lot with storms, but icing is so widespread. My current strategy is to have a cushion day on either side of my trip.

What do you do?

I pay really close attention to the forecasts and the airmets. Then I ensure that I have at least 3000 foot ceilings along my route (if flying in cold clouds) so that if I have to descend to avoid icing I can get down and out of IMC.

Then I fly in a paranoid fashion, and the minute I pick up any ice I change SOMETHING - altitude, or route. I tell ATC what I need and if they don't give it to me I declare an emergency (only had to do that once or twice for ice).

Bottom line is I fly less often, but not zero.

The icing charts on aviationweather.gov are very accurate.

With that being said, if the aircraft doesn't habe any type of icing system, even a non-fiki, i won't fly unless the skys are clear.

I fly way too much in the NE and see icing, and know thay sometimes you Won't have any options unless you have lots of HP or ice protection. Its dark, its frezing to the surface, your in a plane that can't climb, and there isn't an airport for 50nm. Your in a baaaaaad spot. So I don't do it.

Always have an "out". In a 172 or an old 60's "known ice" bird. Just drive, or stay home.

I pay really close attention to the forecasts and the airmets. Then I ensure that I have at least 3000 foot ceilings along my route (if flying in cold clouds) so that if I have to descend to avoid icing I can get down and out of IMC.

Then I fly in a paranoid fashion, and the minute I pick up any ice I change SOMETHING - altitude, or route. I tell ATC what I need and if they don't give it to me I declare an emergency (only had to do that once or twice for ice).

Thanks, Tim. Sounds practical to me!

That is an EXCELLENT strategy ! I wish more GA pilots would adopt a mindset such as this.

The fastest way for me to cancel a flight and drive is to have a reasonable chance of encountering ice. An IR doesn't help if the airplane won't fly. And we have a great ice machine in this part of the world. When it comes to ice, "I am chicken! I am chicken!" A 172 or a 182 is not FIKI and that stuff is best avoided.

The fastest way for me to cancel a flight and drive is to have a reasonable chance of encountering ice. An IR doesn't help if the airplane won't fly. And we have a great ice machine in this part of the world. When it comes to ice, "I am chicken! I am chicken!" A 172 or a 182 is not FIKI and that stuff is best avoided.

Yes, my feelings too. I'm comfortable with mountains and high DA's, but homie don't play ice and thunderstorms.

In an aircraft without de-ice, for me it comes down to not even trying if I can't maintain VFR. Your strategy is as good as they come for travel along the coast line in a non-deiced aircraft, though. The hills we have in PA not only produce lots of ice, they make flying at 2-3000 ft difficult (cumulogranite and all).

Comes down to knowing your aircraft, having your outs planned strategically, and making changes as needed.

Scott, I wish you'd stop giving such short, vague replies! :p

Seriously, this was really excellent, and I enjoyed the learning!

Ben, Scott's presentation is EXACTLY how you do it. I could never have presented it quite so concisely....

Ben, Scott's presentation is EXACTLY how you do it. I could never have presented it quite so concisely....

It is really thorough, and as they say, "knowledge is power." If I make sure to look at the weather from all these angles, I'll feel a lot more confident as I proceed out this winter!

Back