Flying in the aluminum tubes this week

Dana

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dana
I had occasion to travel from Connecticut to Toronto on business with my boss and another engineer this week, BDL-LGA-YYZ, first time I've flown commercial in some time, and first time I can remember flying in such a small airliner (CRJ900). I was following along with Avare on my phone to the extent the GPS signal allowed, and several aspects of the flight surprised me, bearing in mind that my flying these days is mostly open cockpits and grass runways and IFR to me is the time honored "I follow roads".

The flight from BDL to LGA mid day on a Tuesday was quite enjoyable, it was a beautiful CAVU day. We swung rather far north of BDL before heading south toward LGA, presumably due to ATC and traffic flow? It was interesting to see that most of the flight followed victor airways, or presumably the high altitude/IFR equivalent. I would have thought with RNAV and GPS there would be less need for that nowadays?

Closer to LGA, there was a lot of turning, swinging southwest almost to EWR (incidentally providing a beautiful tour of the NYC skyline for those of us on the left side of the aircraft) before turning back east to what I assumed would be a landing on 04... but instead of lining up for 04 we went slightly farther east, and turned final for 31 only about a mile from the threshold, barely rolling out of the turn before flaring to land. I thought big planes like that always flew much longer stabilized approaches and didn't maneuver so much at low altitude (and they always have, in my experience). Or is it the fact that a CRJ900 is a relatively small airliner that makes them able to fly like that? It almost felt like a GA pattern.

The second leg, and the return flight, were unremarkable, other than the tight connection and long walk between gates at LGA on the way out (we made it by 4 minutes) and the miserable cattle pen security line experience at YYZ, which has to be the worst airport I've ever passed through.

I doubtless could've rented a C-172 or something and gotten us there faster, and would have suggested it to my boss except if Basicmed was valid in Canada.

You probably did the Expressway Visual 31 into LGA.
816DD41B-BCC1-406A-AFAC-D2581873DC8D.jpeg

Yes, and big airplanes can fly this and often do visual patterns. Sometimes, those visuals look remarkably like ILSs, but we can also do the fun stuff sometimes.

As far as stable approaches, each carrier is different based on things like weather at the field, type of approach, etc.

VpEw61RSusY65SC75eUNrOq8jO-0gjTxc31alSi9wVOkk69Tg3JGL3hJYFNZ9wtiz2j6NGKZayA1Mfjv1JDrpifj6AXnuNhMp__dAJKKXFAWOWM9o_8fai0F0VO5B2NAO2_F-3hnjLYo1JeyAP3ikM7uNbqIE6xbxBO2bmSvXYF_IYSX6o9nbccpztsV8uyxbGEl59sT4CV_UcsGDlilMNsJkuFhTSVoHRqyBmDECudK2IrNr1V-ie5_vXVzL28-YSPf40y20KF9IP8H6gR3vCzyY_8PXMnGPDn_G7fWFpfQ7JhgnrYwjLvwPi_x8r7XvUTLHQvZJTxOkVH95CQ91POYc1z8Afg2sWqxX9KhG8oz8R09iP4IvTXamYKfUnZxOLtXbVHCf_M6S9FeN5l9mbBeLoRw1B-N1TZi0PpyzQlWaxrlj1JuiAu-ii3zTplkOcuZAt0yoD4v0zColouxAJP-vzzuAQlba9GbGcngPCnIY_B-QnohQZjYL572xFih7tUtj3jfZ084Dzu6OI5tjAwA5rmNLdgS088Rx56bdis7bOzKD7RQbLrpeZcZk5mItwUiRwkpDKgU0omZFyiDiQ5h_vgox-iirN19bA745iSWpa9PPcyAyh9yZK_16ghNt9tyVZedO1WwANAvOfryKI0OtsHrpctHpR-KdhOUd6dvPZfBNU0SQEvOPrt64YN06YT_Xlu2wJPeSq6OUvOTb1CRAEF6fu5pUNh94VOxXpIS41jJc58kQnT3G28eHsdeDnE3N-7iGLgw81rDDHCTDl6mhQcGlfegb1tmXkpMXffPM2ZZlecKWrkcPFMq1eCnMoaakqw5aXswEMU86pPeWg0ps-Mx5ezIRzV-Aj2BXIqy4TiF7e0jJlWmnwX3tMYnj2qz92Cjhd02HmTs6QiRa2q_BRT2rIa-9KCmytNHgKXl65YlhA=w1920-h865-no
Thats NYC airspace. Lotta vectoring around. Even the bigger boys 321/737 will always fly that rnav/visual to runway 31. Non rnp so autopilots off in the turn and your just eyeballing it.

You have to go over/under or around departures and arivals for LGA JFK TEB EWR so you get some goofy routing. Image has teb ewr lga and JFK in it. Coming into JFK on the lendy arrival. I'll be over LGA in 2 min but still have 15 minutes before I get vectored way over JFK at 10k ft for an rnav 13L

You probably did the Expressway Visual 31 into LGA.

That's exactly what it was, and a 737 or Airbus would have done exactly the same as the CRJ. It's a fun approach - the overlays make the vertical planning easier, but in the old days (where we actually followed the Expressway to the runway) I was always taught the 2 Home Depot technique - be at 1000' by this Home Depot, then 500' by that one. :)

That's exactly what it was, and a 737 or Airbus would have done exactly the same as the CRJ. It's a fun approach - the overlays make the vertical planning easier, but in the old days (where we actually followed the Expressway to the runway) I was always taught the 2 Home Depot technique - be at 1000' by this Home Depot, then 500' by that one. :)
I hope that’s abeam that Home Depot. 4 wingspans above seems rather close. If isn’t abeam, what’s 500MSL in AGL over there?

I hope that’s abeam that Home Depot. 4 wingspans above seems rather close. If isn’t abeam, what’s 500MSL in AGL over there?
450-ish AGL I'd guess

Also likely they were following a STAR. If you look up the flight in Flight Aware, it will show the clearance routing.

Just did JFK - IAD the other day and the routing was direct RBV for the HYPER 8 STAR. Some of the other transitions for that STAR start at Albany or up in MA.

#kayou190 hit the nail on the head, I always used the Home Depot as a check point.

Done this a few times in a 767! Once was my FIRST 767 trip off of IOE… wait for it…

So there I was…

First 767 trip off IOE, got a couple jump seaters. Capt is like put’er down! I’m like, Navy guy, no problem! But still cued up a few excuses, just in case and to manage expectations.

Im rippin on in, and at the last moment decide what the hay, I’ll take one stab at a little flare to keep the critters happy. I pull the nose up to stabilize the beast at 10’ or so I’m guessing.

Then the weirdest thing happened. The speed brakes (spoilers) deployed. Wha????? I’m preparing to crash now.

The capt and jumpers bow their heads in awe. Wha????

It was then I realized we had landed! Yay! Looky me go! Never felt the touchdown…. Let’s not let my Navy buddies know, just keep this to ourselves

So…… if I had waited until where I thought I should have flared, it would have been EPIC! Ha!!

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut now and then.

It’s a FUN approach!

Last edited:
But nothing beats the old approach in Kai Tak in Hong Kong.

For the INSTURMENT approach, you flew a nav aid until you saw the big red and white checkerboard panels on the side of a mountain, then turned to the airport. Once you turned, you looked UP at people on their balconies.

VpEw61RSusY65SC75eUNrOq8jO-0gjTxc31alSi9wVOkk69Tg3JGL3hJYFNZ9wtiz2j6NGKZayA1Mfjv1JDrpifj6AXnuNhMp__dAJKKXFAWOWM9o_8fai0F0VO5B2NAO2_F-3hnjLYo1JeyAP3ikM7uNbqIE6xbxBO2bmSvXYF_IYSX6o9nbccpztsV8uyxbGEl59sT4CV_UcsGDlilMNsJkuFhTSVoHRqyBmDECudK2IrNr1V-ie5_vXVzL28-YSPf40y20KF9IP8H6gR3vCzyY_8PXMnGPDn_G7fWFpfQ7JhgnrYwjLvwPi_x8r7XvUTLHQvZJTxOkVH95CQ91POYc1z8Afg2sWqxX9KhG8oz8R09iP4IvTXamYKfUnZxOLtXbVHCf_M6S9FeN5l9mbBeLoRw1B-N1TZi0PpyzQlWaxrlj1JuiAu-ii3zTplkOcuZAt0yoD4v0zColouxAJP-vzzuAQlba9GbGcngPCnIY_B-QnohQZjYL572xFih7tUtj3jfZ084Dzu6OI5tjAwA5rmNLdgS088Rx56bdis7bOzKD7RQbLrpeZcZk5mItwUiRwkpDKgU0omZFyiDiQ5h_vgox-iirN19bA745iSWpa9PPcyAyh9yZK_16ghNt9tyVZedO1WwANAvOfryKI0OtsHrpctHpR-KdhOUd6dvPZfBNU0SQEvOPrt64YN06YT_Xlu2wJPeSq6OUvOTb1CRAEF6fu5pUNh94VOxXpIS41jJc58kQnT3G28eHsdeDnE3N-7iGLgw81rDDHCTDl6mhQcGlfegb1tmXkpMXffPM2ZZlecKWrkcPFMq1eCnMoaakqw5aXswEMU86pPeWg0ps-Mx5ezIRzV-Aj2BXIqy4TiF7e0jJlWmnwX3tMYnj2qz92Cjhd02HmTs6QiRa2q_BRT2rIa-9KCmytNHgKXl65YlhA=w1920-h865-no
Thats NYC airspace. Lotta vectoring around. Even the bigger boys 321/737 will always fly that rnav/visual to runway 31. Non rnp so autopilots off in the turn and your just eyeballing it.

You have to go over/under or around departures and arivals for LGA JFK TEB EWR so you get some goofy routing. Image has teb ewr lga and JFK in it. Coming into JFK on the lendy arrival. I'll be over LGA in 2 min but still have 15 minutes before I get vectored way over JFK at 10k ft for an rnav 13L

There is a RNAV and a RNAV visual to 31 now. Fifi does a pretty darn good job of flying the RNAV, I was impressed.

There is a RNAV and a RNAV visual to 31 now. Fifi does a pretty darn good job of flying the RNAV, I was impressed.
We cant used FD past minimum on the rnav so we lose all guidance in the hud at 1200ish. Kinda dumb since i may or may not have left it on and it works perfectly fine.

We cant used FD past minimum on the rnav so we lose all guidance in the hud at 1200ish. Kinda dumb since i may or may not have left it on and it works perfectly fine.

Dang, our A/P flies it all the way down to 280agl. Or somewhere around then.

Back