Flying in Spokane

t0r0nad0

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
PJ Gustafson
Hey everyone...

I didn't know where to post this, so sorry if it's in the wrong spot, but anyway... While I was in Spokane on business last week I went for a discovery flight with a buddy of mine from www.aviationforum.org and his instructor. My buddy was in the back seat with his video camera, and I cut the video together with some audio he recorded from the intercom. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf7I1pZndXY

Glad you enjoyed your visit to the great Pacific Northwest. Now you know why we consider it God's Country. :yes:

Indeed... but only when it's not overcast.

Is there such a time?

I'm hoping to make it to Portland in August. It'll be my first trip to the Pac. NW. I'm really looking forward to it.

If the weather is nice, it truly is God's country up there. If it's overcast, you'll think it's God's forgotten country. August should still be nice in Portland, I believe. Have a couple of microbrews for me, preferably Rogue, one of my all-time favorites.

Indeed... but only when it's not overcast.

Yeah, but you were in Spokane. That's the dry side of the state. :yes: I grew up in Pullman (70 miles south). I've seen as much rain in one month in Olympia as Pullman gets in a year.

Yep, It rains so much here that we get a half inch of rain on a clear day.

My dad came REALLY close to taking a job at WSU, so close that my parents flew out to look at housing in Pullman and Moscow. I like it out there, but I'm darn glad we didn't MOVE out there. I get itchy when I'm too far from the East Coast.

We have three to four months (or more) of sunshine and nice weather starting around now. The weather overall in Portland isn't that bad. even when it is cloudy and showery, it's usually good ceilings and visibility enough to fly VFR through the showers. I think I flew through more showers here than I ever did out in Grand Forks ND where lessons were always canceled on showery days.

I've been thinking with the dry season coming on its time I got off my butt and started flying again, money or no money. (of course it is no money, but what else is new?)

Enjoy your visit to Portland, and you should check out a few McMenamins pubs that are real jewels enjoyed even by a non-drinker like me.

My dad came REALLY close to taking a job at WSU, so close that my parents flew out to look at housing in Pullman and Moscow. I like it out there, but I'm darn glad we didn't MOVE out there. I get itchy when I'm too far from the East Coast.

Be glad he didn't take the job. You'd be hooked on that part of the country for life if you spent any time there and would be plotting how to return. Pullman High School and WSU graduate here.

As the WSU baseball coach in the 60s and 70s said, "Once a Cougar, Always a Cougar". And it's true. Of course, a friend then added, "Once a husky, always a dog." :D

Back