Flying in Southeast USA (NW FL and GA) in early November

iamtheari

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Ari
I am trying to plan a trip where it will work out really well for us to fly ourselves from sunny North Dakota to Pensacola on the evening of November 2 or morning of November 3, then to Atlanta to drop someone off for a commercial flight on November 6, and then back to North Dakota from there. My plane is deiced but not FIKI and I am instrument rated.

What can our Southeast members tell me about the weather down that way in early November? The short hop from KPNS to KATL is the only real time-critical one, and I know it can be driven in 5 hours if we are in a pinch. But if it's 90% likely to become a pinch, I'll just burn a bunch of Delta miles to shuffle around.

Thanks in advance!

Hopefully a real weather guru will answer. With that disclaimer, like most of the country, the overall pattern in early November is a lot like October. Mostly pretty clear and stable. Ice in clouds can be an issue anywhere but the southeast seems to get more than its fair share of temperature inversions.

The SE generally has very good weather until Thanksgiving or so. Hurricanes and other major weather events being the exception. ;-)

Great time of year to fly in the SE. I'm based in SE AL and am actually flying to Penscola today and then Pensacola to Atlanta tomorrow. Piper Arrow. Not sure what you're flying in, or if VFR or IFR, but a nice time of year to fly in the SE. Barring a front, the skies are generally clear, with stable air, and no icing at the typical altitudes that normally aspirated airplanes fly at. Even at the warmest time of a sunny day, it will typically be smooth above 6000' MSL in early November. Low DA's for nice climb performance. Really my favorite time of year to fly in the SE.

Probably one of the better times around here. Not hot, thunderstorms usually not a problem, humidity is lower.

Back