Flying in Europe

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
Later this month I'm going to be heading to Europe on vacation for a week and a half, spending my time in Brussels, Belgium and Amboise, France (southwest of Paris about 150 km). While there, it would be neat if I could get the opportunity to get some flying in and add a logbook entry. Anyone have some ideas of how to go about it over there? I've never even rented a plane in this country that I've had to get checked out in, so I'm not familiar with the process.

Later this month I'm going to be heading to Europe on vacation for a week and a half, spending my time in Brussels, Belgium and Amboise, France (southwest of Paris about 150 km). While there, it would be neat if I could get the opportunity to get some flying in and add a logbook entry. Anyone have some ideas of how to go about it over there? I've never even rented a plane in this country that I've had to get checked out in, so I'm not familiar with the process.

Seems to me that Ed Guthrie did that in Germany.

Only time I've flown in Europe was with a guy who owned a Commander based at Linate. He handled all the logistics....

Ted, probably the simplest way to do this is to go to the "local" airport wherever you're at and rent an aircraft and instructor. You fly left seat with an instructor and that way you don't have to worry about getting license or license conversion.

Why not just fly the AzTruck? Two engines, known ice... So it's the North Atlantic and winter's coming on, what could go wrong?

Why not just fly the AzTruck? Two engines, known ice... So it's the North Atlantic and winter's coming on, what could go wrong?

Believe me, that's on the list of flights I want to make at some point (although probably not in winter). However for this trip I only have a week and a half, and 155 kts going up through Greenland and Iceland etc. seems like a trip better made when I have a month or more to spend. :)

lindbergh did it in a day and half. just sayin....

I have done some transition training and a few delivery flights over to Europe. I definitely would hire a local instructor if you want air time. You really need to know what is going on in each country when it comes to goofy rules. At least the airspace classes are now all ICAO and make sense to US pilots. I would suggest Germany or the UK if you want local flying. The German controllers are easy to work with and speak better English on the radio than many US towers. Just watch out for the square class D airspace. England has some weird VFR and transponder rules and many fields are grass for GA traffic. If you have the cash, I would fly in a heartbeat since the experience is so educational. All I can say about France is that when I skirted the country, I did not like it. I heard (from some Germans and English guys) most local French ATC types will not speak english or can't even if you are in a "N" reg. aircraft. I can't verify that though.

Good Luck!

Ted, go to the BeechTalk board (www.BeechTalk.com), register (it's free) and contact Yves Soete - he's Belgian, flies a lot, has a Twinkie. I bet if you introduce yourself, he'll invite you to fly with him - he seems to be that kind of guy.

The other resource I found is that AOPA has affiliates in most countries. If you go to http://www.iaopa.org/map-continents.cfm#countryinformation you can usually find contacts in the country you're interested in.

I also suggest a local instruction flight. The only European country I have in my logbook is Sweden. Good English was spoken at towered airports but CTAF was all in Swedish.

Joe

Like others have said try to find an instructor, let him/her take care of all the local differences while you enjoy the flight. In Belgium you can try Kortrijk, Oostende, Antwerp, Grimbergen or Hoevenen.

Here is a website with all European airfields with links to their websites: http://avia-dejavu.net/europa.htm. The French ICAO codes are grouped by region. For anything in the Amboise region try ICAO codes starting with LFE.

I can not say where you can try while you are in France but be aware that most French aeroclubs are no-profit organizations so only members can rent aircraft. They often offer trial lessons though.

-Kees

Last edited:
Another benefit of having an instructor with you (besides license issues, insurance, etc), is that they'll know where the neat stuff to see is. They'll get you to more castles, villages, scenic places than you would probably be able to find in three times the amount of airborne time on your own. Plus, you may be quite surprised to learn how much it's gonna cost for each flight. They pay for litres what we pay for gallons!

I am based in the UK and have some trip writeups at

www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation

Flying in Europe is not that different to flying in the USA, especially if flying IFR. Just a few gotchas - see my IFR Flying in Europe writeup.

The biggest differences are in the ground based operational details - PPR, variable avgas availability, the need to go via Customs airports a lot of the time, etc. Some of my trips into say Greece were lovely in the air but really horrid on the ground. Americans have it really easy.

Renting an aircraft is doable in N Europe, less so in the south and in most places down there there is practically no "casual rental" scene at all.

Belgium and France should be OK but you will need to get a local validation of your FAA license, AFAIK. The UK is unusual in allowing any ICAO license to be used for a G-reg aircraft, VFR, worldwide, and the validation is automatic (no paperwork). Of course, if you can rent an N-reg (not many of them about for hire) then away you go....

When I visited Vancouver 4 years ago I looked up the local chapter of the 99s and flew with an instructor in Squamish (near Whistler). I didn't have to do anything other than show up. I paid her for an hour or two of instruction, sat left seat, and got a really cool sightseeing ride out of it.

On Lake Como I just paid for a flightseeing trip. I didn't fly at all, but still got a nice sightseeing ride and photos. That was a seaplane and I even dragged my Mom along. My Mom has now been on a seaplane and a hot air balloon!

When in Scotland, I flew out of Edinburgh with a local flying club and instructor. Though expensive (about twice US rentals), it was a great 3 hour flight and an exceptional sightseeing tour.

I wish I could help you Ted. I have a lot of hours flying in Europe. I did my first solo there many years ago in the early 1980's. But it was all part of a US military aeroclub. The rates were great, I was flying a N registered aircraft. I did need to know both US and UK flying rules.

I would say that the advise given above to just find a school and go do some dual is probably the easiest. It is expensive to fly in Europe. Landing and user fees are the norm. So get ready to pay a lot for the experience.

Every time this thread pops up I think its about an Ercoupe. Must be time for new lenses.

I'd like to see someone fly an Ercoupe TO Europe!

Back