Flying for a Great Non-Profit

Does a legit charity indemnify me from X liability? Does charity work generate a tax write-off?
Can you link a well-done aviation charity site so I can see what a proper charity would look like?

I fly for Angel Flight South central. Angelflightsc.org. Here’s how it works for them.

-
minimum requirements are private pilot certificate and 250 hours ; Basic Med allowed; no experimental aircraft.
- passengers sign a liability waiver; IDK how much that really protects me or my estate. AFSC requires the pilot carry $1M liability insurance
- After each flight I report my expenses to AF. I claim mileage to the hangar at the IRS charity/medical rate, fuel, and the dry rate we charge ourselves. Expenses cover all three legs: home base to pick up passenger, passenger leg, return to base.
- at the end of the year I log onto the AFSC website and download a statement of my charitable contributions for the year that I use for income tax purposes.

Each of the Angel Flights have different requirements….check the website of the one you want to fly for.

I just signed up on this one - based at KPDK here in the Atlanta area.

Angel Flight Soars
770-452-7958 ext. 6
www.AngelFlightsoars.org

minimum requirements are private pilot certificate and 250 hours; Basic Med allowed; Must be IFR current and all flights have to be IFR filed.

Pilot's insurance covers the operations (in my case the club I use).

Back