Flying Cross Country Question

Warrior

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Warrior
I just read "Flight of Passage" about a cross country flight. I am in Florida and was wondering if the pilot in the story was correct, that crossing in the El Paso area was the easiest/lowest pass to go from Florida to the West Coast.

I am dreaming about flying the Piper Warrior II to the West Coast and am wondering if that is reasonably safe given its unaspirated 160 horse engine.

You can get to the West Coast without going above 8500' in Montana and in NM/AZ. It may be possible in WY, but I haven't done that route. Fly in the morning, don't load the plane to the gills, and you should be fine. I did it in a Cherokee 180.

I am dreaming about flying the Piper Warrior II to the West Coast and am wondering if that is reasonably safe given its unaspirated 160 horse engine.

I managed to get from Detroit to Alaska and back (through the Canadian Rockies) in an 85 hp Cessna 120. I would think that a Piper Warrior should manage at least as well.

Yes, The last time I went throught there was at that spot in a cherokee 140.

I don't think an unaspirated engine is safe to fly on anywhere. :hairraise:

:D

:lol:

yeah, I don't think combustion works well in them.

anyway, I had a friend that purchased a Cherokee 140 from the west coast and flew it back to GA. He had to go around some high spots but made it.

You can get to the West Coast without going above 8500' in Montana and in NM/AZ. It may be possible in WY, but I haven't done that route. Fly in the morning, don't load the plane to the gills, and you should be fine. I did it in a Cherokee 180.

Yes, you can do it via Wyoming staying below 9K by going through Provo Canyon just northeast of PVU. Done it several times.

Sure....get your maps out, look for the high spots in west Texas and plan accordingly, be careful of all the MOA/Restricted in NM and AZ, and have fun. The recommendation to fly early morning is really a requirement due to the winds & changes in the weather as the day warms up.

Don't dream. Go do it.

About flying xcountry...if you are looking at MEA's they are 1000' or 2000' above the highest peak....if you are flying VFR you do not go over the highest peak but you fly between the two big mountains so you can often fly 2k' or less than the MEA clearances.

I flew a 66 Cherokee 140 with only a 150hp high time engine over the rockies several times...no problems at all.

Doing it in the cooler climates is a good idea but you need not go in the winter.

You can do it in the summer if you are solo and a several hundred pounds below GW.

I flew a 152 from Alpine to Tucson and back .. No problem. But on my departure my groundspeed was 45 because of winds :).

If you do come this way you should know that the airport at Van Horn does have fuel even though the chart doesn't show it.

Also, let me know and if your route is close-ish ( within 100NM) to where I am then we can meet or if you need help let me know

I just read "Flight of Passage" about a cross country flight. I am in Florida and was wondering if the pilot in the story was correct, that crossing in the El Paso area was the easiest/lowest pass to go from Florida to the West Coast.

Way back when Piper and Cessna were selling lots of airplanes, I ferried PA-28s (including Warriors) from Vero Beach to Seattle a dozen times. My route depended on the weather, more than anything else. Delivery flights had to be day-VFR for insurance purposes. When I did the southern route, I turned left at Lake City, FL and went via the El Paso route; my northern route took me along I-90 through Mullan Pass, Idaho.

If terrain is your only concern, follow I-10 across the southern tier of states.

Bob Gardner

It is and if you're coming from Florida and follow I-10 you don't even have to mess with Guadalupe Pass. At El Paso you fly between the southern end of the Franklin Mountains and the Rio Grande. Piece of cake.

And if you fly via I-10 you go right over where most of my students are and therefore me too... Ft. Stockton KFST

Fuel, air and spark.... You'd be missing a very crucial element! :) just messin with ya. Yeah, as everyone's said here, you can surely do it in just about anything.

I've done two routes in C150:

Southern route as Flight of Passage and the first cross-country in the Vin Fiz
Route 66 route through Amarillo, Albuquerque, Flagstaff.

Back