Flying commercial in Hawaii

Eagle I

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kat
Perhaps this is a silly question, but I've always erred on the side of caution when it comes to flying, whether commercially or when I'm in the left seat. So here's my question. My partner and I are planning a vacation to Hawaii. We'll be visiting Molokai during part of this trip, and have decided to fly there. Our only options are through Honolulu via Island Air on an ATR 72 or with Mokulele Airlines on a Cessna 208 Caravan. Mokulele has the best schedule to suit our needs, but to be honest, the thought of flying on a single-engline plane over lots of open water kind of scares me. So am I crazy to even worry about this issue? And has anyone ever had any experience with either airline?

You know that 2 Caravans have lost engines over there. :yes:

Having said that, I'd go with the most convenient.

Actually, 3 in the last 12 months according to the CFI I hired there. ;)

They are safe, fly the Caravan. They have flights everywhere to the islands. Fly what ever is convenient.

Last edited:
I've cheated death and flown a C-172 from Oahu to Molokai, to Maui and back. And another time from Maui to Lanai to Molokai and back. And three times around the shore of Hawaii. Don't worry about it. Have a great time.

I've cheated death and flown a C-172 from Oahu to Molokai, to Maui and back. And another time from Maui to Lanai to Molokai and back. And three times around the shore of Hawaii. Don't worry about it. Have a great time.

I just rented a 172 in Maui and flew around Maui, and a couple more islands for 1.4 hours at 500 - 800' above sea level.

I cannot believe a pilot would be concerned about flying over water.

Man goes in plane, plane goes in water, sharks in water, our shark

The Cessna Caravan is one tough airplane, they are used primarily to haul cargo all over the globe. FEDEX uses the hell out of them for cargo every single day. Don't even think about it, just enjoy the flight.

-John

I knew about the recent accident in which the state health director died, but not about the others. I ended up booking flights on Mokulele and am looking forward to flying on the Caravan. Maybe I'll take some swimming lessons in the meantime, just in case.:D Thanks, everyone, for the reassurance, shark comments aside.

Sometimes that shark, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a shark, he's got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces.

Back