Flying Clubs

gibbons

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iRide
I'm in the VERY preliminary stages of thinking about putting a flying club together. I've read various bylaws and rules of operation for clubs on the internet, but thought I'd tap those of you who are members for some direct info.

If I do this, I'd like to have two 172's, a Citabria, and a cross country/complex airplane - maybe a 182 RG. I can see the potential for 20 or 30 club members, but not more than 50 in any case.

The biggest initial question is, should the club members own the airplanes (as in, stock in the club) or should they simply have access to the airplanes? Any thoughts about any of these topics would be welcome also:
- What is a reasonable monthly fee amount?
- What's the best way to let people join and leave the club?
- What's the best way to structure the club so someone can be kicked out if required?

etc, etc, etc.

Thanks for the input.

Having it be an equity club might be a little harder to get off the ground, but it does protect the founder from bearing all of the financial risk, say if an engine lunches early. Can you say "special assessment"?

I learned to fly at a "club" that was owned by a couple. Joining the club by paying $15/mo (this was 20 years ago) got you a reduced hourly rental rate. If you were OK paying the higher retail rate, you didn't have to join the club.

Here's another club, an equity club, that I used to belong to. Its bylaws are online, but the site is a little out of date: http://www.orlandoaeroclub.com

The club I learned to fly airplanes at didn't to my knowledge actually own any aircraft -- I believe that everything was on leaseback.

The advantage of this to a club is that you don't have a capital outlay for a/c. The disadvantage is that you have to get the owners willing to pay for maintenance.

This particular club had its own shop.

I personally prefer partnerships if (and only if) you can find partners whom you can work with. One of my partners in the R22 has access to it, a Van RV6, and a Piper Malibu in this way. I have access to the R22 and the Cherokee with partnerships, and am looking to get into an R44 partnership. There are quite a few partnerships here at N99 in a wide variety of a/c. Most seem to work pretty well. YMMV!

I was considering forming a "club" at the local airport last year and did a web search for sample by-laws. This one has been around for a while (50+ years) so it probably has some insight into maintaining a successful flying club:

http://www.8ballfc.org/bylaws-new.htm

I ended up just buying outright. Compatibility issues.

I was considering forming a "club" at the local airport last year and did a web search for sample by-laws. This one has been around for a while (50+ years) so it probably has some insight into maintaining a successful flying club:

http://www.8ballfc.org/bylaws-new.htm

I ended up just buying outright. Compatibility issues.

The club I belong to has 4 planes. 2 172s, a 182 and an Arrow. 50 member maximum (and always at that number). The planes are owned by the club as a corporation. No equity held by the individual members. I paid $1200 to join in 2000 and I can sell my membership to a new member. Currently memberships are going for about $1500.

Monthly dues are $60 with $15 of that credited towards flight time if you fly that month. I don't have the numbers with me, but I think the C-172H (VFR only) goes for something less than $50/hr wet. The C-172N (w/ Penn Yan 180 hp conversion) pushes $60/hr wet. The C-182 and the Arrow are presently about $80/hr wet. Any member may fly any of the planes provided certain minimums for the insurance company are met for the 182 and the Arrow. I had to have 5 hours dual in the 182 as I had no previous logged time (heck, I was a student pilot when I joined the club) before I could solo it. The Arrow has a sliding scale based on experience, but the minimum was 100 hours TT and 10 hours dual (with no previous experience in an Arrow). I hit 100 hours TT and 10 hours dual in the Arrow at the same time by shear coincidence. We are also required to fly the Arrow at least 3 hours in a 180 day period or we have to get signed off by a CFI again. An instrument ticket is NOT required for any of the planes. Thus a non-IR private pilot like myself can fly a high performance or a complex aircraft in this club. :D

We have a telephone access computer reservation system. Dial it up, enter your PIN followed by the tail number of the plane and dates you want it. The system lets you know if it is available. In the 5+ years I've been a member I have only been locked out of flying totaly once or twice. I may not get the plane I had in mind, but something with wings and an engine has been available. Of course, in a typical year about a third of our members never fly a club plane. I love those people. They help pay for my insurance and hangar expenses without competing with me for cockpit time.

Chip:

I'm on the board of rfcdallas.com in Addison. Been around over twenty years. We're a non-profit. Planes are leased to the club. Non-profits do have some liability protection. In addition, planes are insured and board members have D&O insurance. Let me know if I can help some way. You're sure welcome to come to a club meeting and talk to the leaders if it would help.

Dave

Chip,

Our club is an equity club, normal fee at joining is $1000, however, the club runs a recruiting drive once a year (if necessary) and reduces the initial fee to $500 during that time. Dues are $60/mo. Look on our web site for current aircraft, equipment, and hourly rentals (tach hour). Below the aircraft descriptions are the bylaws, rules and regs, and membership application.

If you need more specific info, let me know!

www.mocfly.com

When I was a memeber of one, the yearly dues were $350 and $12 per month that you flew for insurance. Just as a benchmark...

gibbons said:
I'm in the VERY preliminary stages of thinking about putting a flying club together. I've read various bylaws and rules of operation for clubs on the internet, but thought I'd tap those of you who are members for some direct info.

If I do this, I'd like to have two 172's, a Citabria, and a cross country/complex airplane - maybe a 182 RG. I can see the potential for 20 or 30 club members, but not more than 50 in any case.

The biggest initial question is, should the club members own the airplanes (as in, stock in the club) or should they simply have access to the airplanes? Any thoughts about any of these topics would be welcome also:
- What is a reasonable monthly fee amount?
- What's the best way to let people join and leave the club?
- What's the best way to structure the club so someone can be kicked out if required?

etc, etc, etc.

Thanks for the input.

IMO ownership is definitely the way to go. First it seems most everyone takes better care of equipment they own as there's often some "pride" invested as well as money. Second, by particpating in the capitalization the members stand to gain/lose financially as the value of the airplanes change over time. You don't need the members to put up all the capital, but I'd suggest at least half comes directly from member share value. Finally this tends to stablize the share price since it's at least partially tied to a tangible asset.

Since that means a substantial investment by each member in the club I also believe you should set it up with a guaranteed buy back at a discount. The discount could range from 25-50% depending on your confidence in the appreciation of the equipment and the level of financing (the guarantee shouldn't inlcude much if any of the financed portion).

IMO, monthly fees should should be established to cover all fixed costs plus some extra for the "rainy day fund" and upgrades (no small issue itself). That means the amount will depend on your debt maintenance, insurance, hangar fees and annual inspection costs (unless you go with 100 hr inspections) as well as how close the planes are avionics wise to what you want.

One other big issue I feel strongly about is operational control of the club. IME it's pretty much a given that any group larger than 5-7 people cannot agree on anything of substance and therefore you need to restrict control to a group of about that size or nothing will get done in enay reasonable time frame. That means having an elected board of directors who have total control within the bylaws and articles of incorporation. And those articles should address expelling bad members (financially or operationally irresponsible), acquiring additional and/or replacement assets, disposing of unwanted assets, and adjusting the fee structure, scheduling rules etc.

The club I used to belong to was set up that way and it was considered one of the best run flying clubs in the country when (not because) I was a board member. That club carefully adjusted the hourly (tach based) charges to account for fuel, maintenance, and engine reserves, and occasionally but much less often adjusted the monthly "dues" when interest and hangar rents changed.

In that club we found time and time again that the best ratio of pilot's to aircraft was between 12 and 13 to 1. The scheduling rules were fairly simple and quite fair. Each member could have no more than two short term (less than a full day) blocks and two medium term (something like 1-7 days) on the books at any given time with no annual or monthly limit on such trips beyond the two per. In addition, one or two trips of up to two weeks were allowed per year. Exceptions were sometimes granted by the board under special circumstances. There were penalties for overbooking and a minimum charge was levied if a plane was scheduled but not used unless there was an excuse acceptable to the board such as weather. There was also a rule that if a member found a plane in the hangar more than an hour after the beginning of a scheduled use the plane was considered to be available for the remainder of that scheduled period.

I haven't been involved in that club since I acquired the Bonanza but it's still going strong and I might be able to get you a copy of their current AoI and rules if that would help.

Back