Flying Club Dilemma

I seem to remember riding in the back of a Cherokee 180 when I was 18-19 years old without much issue, and I am tall. But that was also long ago, so things could be a bit fuzzy....

If you are looking at Archers with your partners, you should consider an M20F (first long body Mooney). The purchase costs will likely be lower than an Archer for a well equipped one. Still has a 4 cylinder bullet-proof Lycoming up front and the gear system is dead simple to maintain, especially if it's got the manual gear. Burn less fuel for a good bit more speed.

It's really hard to beat the value, economy, and speed combo compared to other 4 seat singles. Friend of mine had a J model and it was just a great plane. The F is almost the same and usually sells cheaper.

Last edited:
Yeah as others have said, the Cherokee 180 is a "short" body with a small backseat. Kids or bags can go in the backseat, not full size people. An Archer is a 180 HP longer body cherokee. A Warrior is the same thing with a 160hp. Either can be good performers. Our club has three Warrior II's we operate for about 110/hr wet. I imagine they would make about 125kts well rigged and with wheel pants. 950lb useful load.

Our Archer III does about 124 KTAS at 75% power and 5-6000', without the wheel pants. Those are basically the book numbers.

Back