Flying below Class C

I was wondering this: Does an ADS-B signal from a VFR contact you are not talking to help you any? Do you still have to say, “altitude reports 4,500, unverified,” or can you use the ADS-B altitude to help with separation at all?
Given that the altitude reported by ADS-B is from the same source as the altitude reported by a Mode C transponder, why would it make any difference how it is transmitted?

Given that the altitude reported by ADS-B is from the same source as the altitude reported by a Mode C transponder, why would it make any difference how it is transmitted?
I wasn't sure if ADS-B included GPS altitude as well as pressure altitude, or only the Mode C altitude reporting. If the latter, then it makes no difference. But if the ADS-B packet includes GPS altitude, then you have a source of altitude data that is generated from WAAS GPS rather than from a (possibly out-of-calibration) pressure altitude encoder.

This is off topic, but one can also fly under a class B airspace without ADS-B Out, as long as the airspace is also outside of the 30 NM mode C veil. It is not required to talk to anyone either.

LAX is another one. Whether it justifies anything, I have no idea.

If he is talking KISP, looks like it’s 1500. Not seeing any 1800 floors anywhere near him.
It's not Islip. I trained and fly out of FRG so I'm familiar with Islip.

It's 7 east of KABE (Lehigh Valley Int'l) in Eastern PA. Bottom shelf starts at 2200. With 400 elevation, that's 1800 AGL. However, there is a 1062' antenna/tower 1.5 miles south of my house. And a 1290 footer to the southeast.

Edit: I just realized that the elevation seems to sharply rise as you go east of the airport. That 1062' obstruction is at 249 AGL, meaning 813' elevation. And the 1290' is only 275 AGL, so we're talking 1015' elevation.

Last edited:
In the OP situation, he isn’t requesting anything. I would be telling them what I’m doing and then go do it secure in the knowledge that 1) I have an extra set of eyes for traffic and 2) I’m ‘protected’ from an accidental excursion into their airspace.
Great point. Once I etsablish two-way radio comms, I'm free to enter Charlie.

One example is the latest SFO class B configuration, which has a couple of areas that extend outside the mode C veil.

https://skyvector.com/?ll=37.57788098528032,-122.29461625874698&chart=127&zoom=6&fpl=undefined
Speaking of the new SFO Class B, there an interesting discussion in a recent FlightChops video. Enroute, he and Jason Miller (the Funer Points) are below the SFO B and outside the OAK C and talking about the choice whether to use Flight Following. It's actually the bulk of the video.

Good stuff. Thanks for the video!

I learned to fly from Flushing Airport which you probably remember was in close proximity to LGA. But that was prior to the TCA. Long time ago. My instructor was Walter Scharfe who was a tough German and he alone was worth every dime. He insisted that from day one we communicate with LGA departure and arrival religiously and that training paid off ever since because it made me comfortable working within the system. The controllers are 99.999% helpful and friendly. Work with them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Polarisguy, I grew up in the shadow of Flushing airport and hug out there as a kid. Got to fly in the Good Year Blimp “Mayflower” 64-65 during the Worlds Fair. My uncle owned a Flying A/Getty station and was friends with the neighborhood Good Year tire store guy, who got passes.

I started taking my lessons a few years later out of Zhanns on Long Island.

Back