Flying at Marcos Island, Florida - near Naples

G-Man

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
AirmanG
We're doing a family reunion/vacation for a few days in early January on Marco Island, Florida. It looks gorgeous: right on the Gulf of Mexico just north of the Everglades.

I'd love to do a morning of flying and take my Dad and maybe other family members. It'll be the first time I take any family members flying.

I'm a two-year, 150-hr VFR pilot from Colorado who's never flown over water you couldn't swim across. And, it's my Dad's 80th birthday.

I'm comfortable in a Cessna 172. Since it's a new and unfamiliar environment with passengers, I will hire a CFI to fly right-seat. Me, Dad, and brother are ~500 pounds, so should be fine with a sub 160-lb CFI and ~25 gallons.

Would like to fly for an hour or two and see some sights. Maybe over the island and beaches, maybe over the Everglades. I'm not familiar with the area or airspace. Don't want more than a half-day event door to door.

Local airports include:
Marco Island Executive - KMKY - Is there a GA flight school/rental?
Naples Municipal - KAPF - Looks busy, but has flight schools/rentals.
Everglades Airport - X01 - Does it have services or rental/instruction?
Immokalee Regional - KIMM - Does it have rental/instruction?

What's the POA wisdom on:
Airport recommendations for the area?
Flight schools in the area?
Best way to accomplish this mission?
Unseen hazards/risks for this mission?

Any issues flying with family? Dad is eager. Brother might not want to. (I would never pressure anyone into flying.)

Thanks for the local info!

We're doing a family reunion/vacation for a few days in early January on Marco Island, Florida. It looks gorgeous: right on the Gulf of Mexico just north of the Everglades.

I'd love to do a morning of flying and take my Dad and maybe other family members. It'll be the first time I take any family members flying.

I'm a two-year, 150-hr VFR pilot from Colorado who's never flown over water you couldn't swim across. And, it's my Dad's 80th birthday.

I'm comfortable in a Cessna 172. Since it's a new and unfamiliar environment with passengers, I will hire a CFI to fly right-seat. Me, Dad, and brother are ~500 pounds, so should be fine with a sub 160-lb CFI and ~25 gallons.

Would like to fly for an hour or two and see some sights. Maybe over the island and beaches, maybe over the Everglades. I'm not familiar with the area or airspace. Don't want more than a half-day event door to door.

Local airports include:
Marco Island Executive - KMKY - Is there a GA flight school/rental?
Naples Municipal - KAPF - Looks busy, but has flight schools/rentals.
Everglades Airport - X01 - Does it have services or rental/instruction?
Immokalee Regional - KIMM - Does it have rental/instruction?

What's the POA wisdom on:
Airport recommendations for the area?
Flight schools in the area?
Best way to accomplish this mission?
Unseen hazards/risks for this mission?

Any issues flying with family? Dad is eager. Brother might not want to. (I would never pressure anyone into flying.)

Thanks for the local info!

Coming from Colorado... You are gonna LOVE the thick air at sea level....:yes::yes:

Great flying and fun area. Can't speak on rental airplane availability,since I own. Everglades is worth a stop for lunch,they rent bikes for the 10 minute ride to town. Naples is nice and friendly nice diner you can walk to,also flight school to rent aircraft. Have landed at all the airports on your list,all friendly and helpful. Not much you have to worry about.

I can't speak for rentals either however I recently posted about a trip I took from Lantana to X01 (http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76073) and I can't express how much fun we had (took my parents on their first flight and my first flight in FLA over the 'glades). We ate lunch at the Havana Café (they will come pick you up or as stated above X01 has rental bikes) but as far as X01, there's not much there at all. It is right on the water so it makes for a fun landing!
However, what I will say about the everglades is, it's kinda boring to fly over. It's just water and marsh and not much to see. And by 'not much' I mean there's NOTHING to see. I'm sure for 1st time passengers it doesn't really matter too much, however for me as far as scenery goes, it's boring. Sorry, flat and boring. I'd recommend staying near the coast, you'll get some great scenery there. Have fun!

Be advised that Naples can be very busy at times, especially the first 3 days after Christmas when it's almost a steady stream of corporate jets in and out.
Other than that, it's a nice little airport, enjoy your time down there.

A big Thank You to everyone for the helpful info. Yes, I'm psyched for this flying adventure!

Found Jim Fogarty at Fogarty Flying right at Marco Island Airport. He's got a C172, so this seems easiest.

Also had a very nice conversation with Jim Orr at Island Hoppers, with a C182.

Both seem friendly and professional, and priced much lower than Naples. Gonna be a fun flight and trip!

Last edited:
I've rented from Marco before, took Cfi for rental checkout,showed me the area , then engine out near airport and checkout was done,
I never did get around to rent a second tie though. Area is easy, fly the coast and around island. If you had enough time ( and $) you could go down to the keys for lunch. There actually was a alligator crossing the runway while we were taxing. You will enjoy Marco, great beaches and restaurants. Naples airport is way to busy with biz jets!

I love the west coast if Florida. That said, you are wise to do a morning site seeing flight. By early afternoon the pop corn cumulous are building fast. Also double check the sectional over the glades. It's been many years since I've flown VFR there, but I seem to remember some restricted stuff due the national park. Maybe that has changed.

A CFI is a great tool for enroute. That said, try to find one with long trip type experience. FWIW, if it was me in a SEL, I would take the long way and hug the coast of Florida. I would not fly the gulf low level.

Have fun, sounds like a great trip!!!

Thank you, POA!

A very big thank you to everyone on this forum who offered input! (Tip o' the hat to Art VanDelay, since the MichelBob's ribs were truly fantastic.)

To recap, I wanted to take my Dad flying for his 80th birthday. He's never flown with me, and I've never flown at sea level or over big water. Thanks to Jim Fogarty at Fogarty Flying, we had a great adventure. Jim flew with us - easier than getting a checkout. He was a great guide and CFI, and I passed the checkout if I return. Jim's Cessna 172P is exceptionally clean and nice. Marco Island Airport staff were friendly and helpful. Yes, get alligators on the runway, and flocks of buzzards nearby.

Flying at sea level versus 5,000 feet MSL? It's all I expected, and a whole lot more. Wow. That 172 leapt into the air like an F-18 off a carrier. Our rate of climb was stratospheric - first time I've seen the high side of 500fpm in a C172. The 5,000 foot KMKY runway was like 9,000 feet at home.

Clouds were high, sun was shining, air was dead smooth, wind light; flying was gorgeous. We went south over the Ten Thousand Islands, overflew Everglades City, crossed a bay (engine still sounded smooth, so I guess it wasn't big open water), and viewed some houses in Naples where I'm unlikely to live. A terrific way to start Dad's birthday!

Some pictures:
Overflying Ten Thousand Islands.
The wide open sea, as far as the eye can see.
Me and my pilot t-shirt with Jim Fogarty.

Attachments

• IMG_3016.JPG
    IMG_3016.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3041.JPG
    IMG_3041.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3065.JPG
    IMG_3065.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Congrats........

30 years ago my wife and I would fly down to Upper Captiva and rent a house.. They had a grass strip you could land at and all the people drove golf carts on the island.... Probably doesn't exist anymore..

Good times back then....:yes::):)

Congrats........

30 years ago my wife and I would fly down to Upper Captiva and rent a house.. They had a grass strip you could land at and all the people drove golf carts on the island.... Probably doesn't exist anymore..

Good times back then....:yes::):)

Salty Approach! I have plans to take my girlfriend there someday. Still exists.

Salty Approach! I have plans to take my girlfriend there someday. Still exists.

KOOL.... Glad to see it still is around...

There was a restaurant on the island that served food and had a dessert dish called " death by chocolate"..... Was the best stuff I have ever eaten...:yes:

KOOL.... Glad to see it still is around...

There was a restaurant on the island that served food and had a dessert dish called " death by chocolate"..... Was the best stuff I have ever eaten...:yes:

Bennigan's?!?!

Back