Flying around Phoenix again...

Brian Austin

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Austin
I had the plane from 7am to noon and was really planning on a cross country somewhere. Winds being what they were, though, plus a first timer as a passenger led to different plans. I decided to stay around the valley, putz around and see what happened.

It turned out to be a great idea.

We took off around 7:30am with a stiff headwind. I noticed other planes "gettin' up there" quickly but was very surprised to see my VSI break ~1200fpm after liftoff. I guess a 10+kt headwind combined with a light load and cooler temps will do that. :D

My normal limit for first timers is 10 knots at the absolute outside. This was due to a bad experience back in November where I was questioning whether TWO barf bags would be enough. He filled them both and looked ready for another but (thankfully) didn't need it.

This guy didn't have those issues. The winds became a pretty steady 15kts after about 1000' AGL. With a little correction, I had no problems staying on course and keeping it straight and level. We flew along the west side of the valley (Glendale area) and went south, transitioning across Goodyear's airspace, and turning north over Buckeye. I let him take the controls for a while, showing him how to stay coordinated during turns, etc.. It's the first time I've given someone both yoke and rudders. I kept my feet close by and hands on my legs to grab if needed. Very unnecessary. Aside from some altitude reminders, it was almost like having an autopilot. He picked up on it right away.

It really surprised me when I started thinking back to when I first started. He was flying like I did during my discovery flight. A little tense, a little worried about banking too hard or using too much/little rudder, etc., but absolutely thrilled at the prospect of piloting a plane all by myself. We did some turns and I showed him how the rudder affects the flight. I showed him how the plane will return to level flight, given the opportunity, and not to worry too much about the occasional buffet of the wind. He picked up on that right away, too.

We went around South Mountain, came up over Chandler and orbited his office while he took a few photos. Then we went north around Scottsdale and I noticed the winds were picking up considerably. Rather than push it, I decided to go ahead and cut it short for the day.

Approaching Deer Valley, I heard the wind reports on ATIS: 12G18. Not terrible...but that was 25 minutes ago, too. Listening to tower as I approaced, I heard the controller announcing winds as planes were on short final. Whenever the controllers start doing that at DVT, the winds are higher than normal, usually in a strong crosswind. Sure enough: 14G22, almost direct 90 crosswind. Sigh. This was going to be fun.

On final, I had a heck of a time holding on to the centerline. As we got closer to the ground, the gusts kept increasing. I didn't anticipate soon enough and drifted left of centerline, coming too close to the runway edge for comfort. Go around, too late to save it. I floored it, felt the right main skip the runway and climbed out. My passenger was unfazed. Good sign. I explained what happened and why I did the go around. He understood and asked a few questions but kept quiet as we did our second approach.

This time I held more correction in and kept the plane to the right of centerline to give myself some leeway. It was crosscontrolled coming over the threshold but staying slightly to the right of center. Good so far. Gusting again. Great. Banked into it, left the throttle where it was until we were closer since I didn't want to drop like a brick if the gust died and I was too high. Sure enough, five feet off, it died. I put the right wheel down, pulled the throttle and felt the left come down almost at the same time as the nosewheel. No bounce, no side loads, ON CENTERLINE. Woohoo!

My passenger thought it was a good landing. If he gets more experience and continues on to a PPL himself, I think he'll understand just what was involved there. Then it will be a great landing. ;)

Another 2.0 in the logbook.

we have racetracks like that around here, ours are for tire testing - are yours similar?

Let'sgoflying! said:
we have racetracks like that around here, ours are for tire testing - are yours similar?
All of the major auto manufacturers have proving grounds around here for hot weather testing. I believe this is GM's but can't swear to it. I know where Ford's proving grounds are (it's smaller) but can never remember the GM and Chrysler facilities.

citationxjl said:
Was that one by IWA? I am pretty sure that is GM if it was.
No, it's on the west side of the Ford proving grounds, out toward Wickenburg. If the IWA one is GM then this one is either Chrysler or some foreign automaker?

I flew out to sedona this morning, Perfect flight. But on the way back to Havasu things got interesting for me too. Got knocked around the cabin for a good 30 minutes, then got to land with winds 320@26 gusting to 32. fun landing!!! I stopped on the parrallel taxiway, and my airspeed was showing 40. LOL. Went into the FBO to dry myself off, and there were a few other pilots in there that just landed. we were all standing around kinda nervously laughing.

What outfit in Chandler were you taking pictures of? My employer has a couple major facilities there (one takes highly refined beach sand, selectively pollutes it and proves that you can turn sand into gold.;) )

Ghery said:
What outfit in Chandler were you taking pictures of? My employer has a couple major facilities there (one takes highly refined beach sand, selectively pollutes it and proves that you can turn sand into gold.;) )
Everyone in Chandler is well aware of your employer's facilities, Ghery!

This was actually down the road from the plant on Chandler Blvd, near Stellar Airpark. Small office of an IT reseller/integrator.

Ah, yes. Stellar Airpark. I drive by there from the plant to the place I usually stay when there on business. Really frustrating having an airport so near, yet no time to enjoy it.

Ghery said:
Ah, yes. Stellar Airpark. I drive by there from the plant to the place I usually stay when there on business. Really frustrating having an airport so near, yet no time to enjoy it.
Stellar is private although a few businesses run out of there (flight schools and Rotorway kit-built helicopters is based there).

Chandler Airport (CHD) is right around the corner, though. I like that place. Hangar Cafe is one of my favorite lunchtime hangouts. Chandler Air Service parks all their Great Lakes biplanes there.

Back