Flying and Guns

They do when the house (or aircraft as the thread suggests) is on fire and the round in the chamber cooks off. That sort of thing has killed firefighters before.

Again, it goes back to the need vs risk. It takes me less than a second to chamber a round in a pistol. Why on earth anyone (other than a very select few who do so as part of their work duties) have a need to carry a condition 1 weapon in an aircraft is beyond me.

I don't know about you, but I'm old. I'm not going to let a couple of young bucks beat me to a pulp. I'll shoot 'em.

I carry a personal firearm everywhere.

Uh, dude I am in the military and have carried a condition 1 weapon (and used it) likely far more than you have. We don't leave our weapons lying around the place with rounds in the chamber.

I also know of firefighters and countless kids who are DEAD because some idiot thought it was a good idea to leave a weapon with a chambered round lying around the house or stuffed in a closet.

There is a time and place to chamber a round. If you are not able to properly distinguish when that time and place is, then you probably shouldn't possess a firearm.

Good for you

Keeping a pistol in a smart place is once thing, I never said keep a loaded snub nose in your kids crib lol

Probably safer to carry and leave holstered then to have your average meatbag rack the gun empty without accidentally shooting something.
If they can't do that safely, I don't want them in the plane with a gun at all.

Y'all do what you want in your plane. You just ain't doin' that in mine.

Still need to start that list of airports with shooting ranges within walking distance...

Add mine.... 2WY3... http://www.airnav.com/airport/2WY3..

You will have to make a few low passes to run the Antelope. Deer and Elk off the runway, but once you are on the ground, I have a target range set up. Altho you will be shooting at the critters first..:yes:;).. I can get predator tags from Game and Fish on request to make it all legal..:wink2:

I'm with Andy's first sentence. I carry a Glock that always has one in the chamber; eliminates having to rack the slide in an emergency when time is super critical. The Glock is not for an inexperienced shooter and must be treated with utmost respect. Mine is constantly holstered and in the fifteen years I've carried it there have been no unexpected occurrences. Gun safety is what the holder of the weapon makes it.

Same here. The key is being comfortable and knowledgeable with your weapon. If it becomes "part of you" then it's not going to do anything without you. I honestly cannot remember the last time I flew private WITHOUT a loaded firearm (yes, with a round in the chamber) with me.

Please explain to me the emergency which would require you use your Glock that fast in your airplane in flight.

You come to after a crash in the wilderness and find a bear about to start gnawing on your leg (or the gnawing is what makes you come to).

"If you're not wearing it, it's camping equipment"

--Carlos V.

Last edited:
No, you're just lucky.

Yes, just the same way he's lucky that his airplane hasn't fallen out of the sky into an orphanage for the blind, staffed by nuns.

And not flying with me -- no rounds in the chamber in my plane.

Aren't you aware that the vast majority of NDs take place during action-clearing? That's why locker rooms in police stations have so many bullet holes in them, not the patrol cars. He's safer leaving it in the holster.

To me it seems more reasonable to just leave it chambered, for two reasons. 1.) You're probably more likely to ND while you screwing with it (loading, unloading, clearing) than you are while it's snug in a proper holster, and 2.) chambering the same round multiple times can set the bullet back in the casing to a point that it's out of tolerance (and dangerous)

Unless you want to throw away the rounds (which are $1/piece if you're carrying proper ammo), or come up with some system for not chambering the same round twice, you're better of leaving it chambered.

Of course, I'm talking about a carry gun, not something bouncing around in a case in the back.

You should tell that to the cops, military, etc

I find firearms function far better with a round in the chamber :goofy:

If you are properly trained and you carry all the time, you want the weapon to be in the same configuration. If it's safe to carry in a car, it will still be safe to carry in an aircraft and you won't have to change it's configuration depending on which one you happen to be in at the time. Like we used to say in the military, you train the way you're going to fight. For carrying, you train the way you're gonna carry and you carry the way you trained.
I've lived/worked in combat zones for the majority of the last 6 years, both as a combat arms soldier and a civilian. I don't claim to have any more or better experience with weapons than anyone here, because I don't know any of you well enough to judge. I only give that info as a point of reference.

I do indeed train as I fight. I have never trained, nor have I ever fought, with a round chambered without a good reason. Every time I prepare to go in to a high(er) threat area, I verify my weapon status. Every time I return, I clear my weapon and place it in a status appropriate to the lower threat level. These actions aren't done purely by muscle memory - they are deliberate and reasoned.

Before getting on an aircraft, even if it's a tactical aircraft, anyone not designated as flight crew always clears their weapon and keeps it safe. The only exception is if the aircraft will be carrying troops in support of a ground mission, and even then the status of every weapon is deliberately set to an appropriate level of readiness.

I can understand wanting a round in the chamber once you're on the ground, but it doesn't take much muscle memory to get used to making your weapon safe before you take off and bringing it back to whatever level you prefer after you land.

Negligent discharges happen with highly experienced shooters. But just as you cannot spin if you have not stalled, you also cannot have a ND if you are not loaded.

I've never seen anyone wounded by rounds cooking off in a fire, but I have seen many vehicles on fire and heard the rounds going off because of the heat. It isn't a great leap of intellect to figure out the cause/effect between the heat and the exploding ammo.

I'm not going to spend more than a few seconds googling something so obvious, so this will have to do: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/woman-hurt-roommates-bullets-hidden-oven-article-1.1269768

florida-waffles-2.jpg

Walker was injured by bullets from a Glock 21 handgun, like the one pictured here.
edit: this was on the same results page, and is more in line with your link request:

Burning gun misfires, wounds deputy

by The Associated Press
September 07, 2013 11:30 PM | 680 views

WAYNESBORO — Authorities in eastern Georgia say a sheriff’s deputy responding to a fire was wounded when a loaded gun inside the burning building went off in the intense heat.

The Augusta Chronicle reports Burke County Deputy Jay Hollingsworth underwent surgery Friday night. Sheriff’s officials said the bullet missed his vital organs.

A statement from the sheriff’s office says Hollingsworth was wounded as he responded to a structure fire outside the town of Sardis on Friday afternoon.

Authorities say a gun stored inside the building discharged and the bullet struck the deputy.

Officials say Sheriff Gregory Coursey found the wounded deputy to be alert at the hospital Friday and spoke to him before Hollingsworth went into surgery.
http://cherokeetribune.com/view/full_story/23560625/article-Burning-gun-misfires--wounds-deputy

Last edited:
Please explain to me the emergency which would require you use your Glock that fast in your airplane in flight.
Bad mechanic? Yeesh. Some people get WAY over the top - on both sides of the issue (not talking about you, Ron, I don't care what rules you establish for passengers in your airplane).

I've never seen anyone wounded by rounds cooking off in a fire,

Neither have I, and a Yahoo search didn't bring me any stories to match his claim that firefighters have been killed by rounds cooking off.

Consider that a gun with a magazine of any size still only has one round in the chamber. Uncontained rounds cooking off are of little hazard (Yeager used to toss .50BMG ammo into the coal stove as a prank in flight school), but the one up the spout WILL behave as designed. Yet I've never heard of a firefighter being killed by one, making this such a rare thing as to make it of little concern -- like, say, having a Cessna crash into the fire station.

edit: this was on the same results page, and is more in line with your link request:

http://cherokeetribune.com/view/full_story/23560625/article-Burning-gun-misfires--wounds-deputy
Yes, I would say that meets enough of the request to apply, as it was a loaded gun in a burning building which fired and someone was actually hit.

But when you consider how unlikely it is to happen, that deputy was in far more danger DRIVING TO the fire than he was AT the fire.

What are the odds that he would intersect that less-than-half-inch-wide path of a randomly-launched bullet during the 1/800th OF ONE SECOND that the bullet was there?

That's my real point -- if you want something to worry about, there it is, but if you're not looking, you have to DECIDE to worry about something so rare, compared to so many of the other ways that people can get hurt or killed. Go look at the thread from that idiot who is suing the company that didn't tell him not to take off with only 2 gals of gas in the tanks.

Last edited:
Negligent discharges happen with highly experienced shooters. But just as you cannot spin if you have not stalled, you also cannot have a ND if you are not loaded.

I'm 56, and I've been around guns my whole life --my dad was a sheriff's deputy, and I routinely carry a pistol. I carried my .45 for decades, and now carry my 10mm Auto, both in Condition One -- loaded, chambered, hammer back and safety on. Walking, driving, flying, it doesn't matter.

I have yet to hear of an ND of a pistol in a holster, not being handled.

It is then a calculated risk -- the chance of unintended discharge vs immediate need to use the weapon. There is no immediate need t use the weapon in my airplane (or any other where you control who gets aboard) and hence no return in keeping the weapon loaded in flight.

I'd guess a handgun is more likely to be accidentally discharged on the ramp while its being taken out of its holster, handled and unloaded - than it would be if loaded and left alone in its holster during flight.

I do unload all of my long guns as soon as i'm done using them and put them in a case or bag with the action open if possible. The soft cases I use most of the time does not cover the safety or trigger that well, and the triggers on my shotguns/rifles are all pretty light.

Last edited:
No, you're just lucky. And not flying with me -- no rounds in the chamber in my plane. I'm just not worried about Abdul bin Terrorist coming down out of the sky, landing on my wing, opening the canopy and hijacking me while I'm cruising along at 130 knots and a few thousand feet.

THAT'S why I fly a high wing! (Sorry, I just couldn't resist.)
:D

John

I'm 56, and I've been around guns my whole life --my dad was a sheriff's deputy, and I routinely carry a pistol. I carried my .45 for decades, and now carry my 10mm Auto, both in Condition One -- loaded, chambered, hammer back and safety on. Walking, driving, flying, it doesn't matter.
My earlier post was in reply to two posts. One that claimed that the military walked around with rounds chambered all the time. We/they do not - there are different weapons status for different actions/threats. The other poster said that you should do as the military does - train like you fight, and fight like you train - while saying that you should carry your weapon in the same configuration at all times. As I said, the military neither trains nor fights like this.

I have yet to hear of an ND of a pistol in a holster, not being handled.
Nothing in my experience or training has ever indicated to me that a weapon should always be carried in red status. That is just crazy talk.

You and I will obviously not agree on whether to configure your weapon differently based on the conditions and threat. A properly trained and currently proficient owner of a weapon should be able to safely place that weapon in different configurations based on the threat level. If they can't, they have no business carrying in the first place.

Last edited:
I do indeed train as I fight. I have never trained, nor have I ever fought, with a round chambered without a good reason. Every time I prepare to go in to a high(er) threat area, I verify my weapon status. Every time I return, I clear my weapon and place it in a status appropriate to the lower threat level. These actions aren't done purely by muscle memory - they are deliberate and reasoned.

I understand this is anecdotal, but I've been witness to four ND's. In every single case someone's hand was on the weapon's controls. I have never seen an ND from a loaded, holstered weapon.

I think the military's love of clearing doesn't really apply here. Most people are carrying weapons that are slung, not holstered, and bounce around with controls exposed. It's easy to make a blanket policy on weapon clearing and designate safe clearing areas. It's simply apples and oranges, in my opinion.

And there's a reason they have clearing barrels in places where clearing happens a lot.

For a carried firearm, unloading on the ramp, getting in the aircraft, and reloading when back on the ramp is a waste of time and does nothing to add to safety. If you carry a safe firearm, the safest and most secure place for it is in a quality holster. The controls are guarded, it's retained, and it's kept pointing in a safe direction.

I'm pro-gun and all but I don't carry. Just because I figure if there's a place where I feel like I need to, I don't want to go there.

Nothing in my experience or training has ever indicated to me that a weapon should always be carried in red status. That is just crazy talk.
I'm sorry, but it's not crazy talk. Your experience and training are different from that of civilians who carry, both concealed and duty weapons.

I'm sorry, but it's not crazy talk. Your experience and training are different from that of civilians who carry, both concealed and duty weapons.
Ok, so riddle me this....why does a civilian need to carry a weapon in a higher readiness status than a military member in a combat zone or elevated force protection condition?

But all that aside, my issue isn't really with people who carry, but with those that feel they need to leave the gun somewhere other than on their person (ie in a drawer or closet, under the seat...) with a round chambered.

Ok, so riddle me this....why does a civilian need to carry a weapon in a higher readiness status than a military member in a combat zone or elevated force protection condition?
I dunno. Maybe....

Because he's a cop?

Because he's an armored car driver or guard?

Because he's a store owner carrying cash?

Because he (or she) is operating (for whatever reason) in an area where he or she may need to defend himself on short notice?

If you're in a military zone, you know when you are or are not likely to have to shoot with little to no advance warning, and there are lots of others around you who are also armed. If you're walking or driving through town, not so much..

But all that aside, my issue isn't really with people who carry, but with those that feel they need to leave the gun somewhere other than on their person (ie in a drawer or closet, under the seat...) with a round chambered.
OK, great, but that's not what you were calling "crazy talk".

Frankly because a) they probably don't train as much and b) constantly jacking around with a carry pistol in public is either going to end up with an ND or a whole lot of attention they don't want.

Military are rarely carrying *concealed*. And if it's concealed, leave it that way. Period. Don't screw around with it, don't fuss with the holster, don't jack around pulling it out, changing it's condition.

A local instructor recommends this: Condition 1, Gun in concealed holster and it STAYS there. Get home, take holster off with gun in it and put it in a SAFE. Not some closet shelf. Strap holster back on the next day. Leave the firearm alone.

Go to the range, decide if you're going to shoot a full magazine of the expensive self defense stuff. If you are, just shoot it empty. Reload with practice rounds.

If you're broke, drop the magazine only and put one with non-defense rounds in. Fire that one that's in the chamber. Don't bother clearing it, you don't want to be loading and unloading defense rounds anyway. You'll lose a buck at each range session.

Finish at the range, reload with defense rounds. Holster. Repeat.

Absolutely impossible to have an ND when it's always in the holster.

Now, if you're like a lot of folks you might need more that one holster for different dress. If so, go to a designated safe place with the firearm and switch holsters at home keeping it pointed at something that can STOP a round. Example: Don't unholster it in your upstairs bedroom and point it at the floor while reholstering.

This is CARRY guns only. Range guns get cleared at the range.

The only dilemma in his technique is if it's time to clean the carry gun. His personal preference there is a sand bucket at home for clearing and locking back the slide on anything that's about to be cleaned. He does that in his garage.

For non-fussy carry guns (stuff you'd actually want to carry anyway that always go bang) a quick run through with a bore snake at the range is often plenty of cleaning... depending on how fussy you are. Especially on most striker-fired Tupperware. On stuff with exposed hammers and more mechanism that needs care, it's a toss up. Your call. He carries a Glock which doesn't care much. Pop the slide off, bore snake and scrub a bit, wipe it off, reassemble. Karen's M&P is similar. If you're a 1911 fan, that's a little more work at the range but if you get good at taking it down you can still give it a decent cleaning quickly and don't forget to keep some oil in your range bag. ;)

Anyway his point is, minimize changing condition and leave it in the holster. That'll never do you wrong. And lock it up if it's not on your body. Period.

Standing on a ramp screwing around with dropping a magazine, racking a round out, shoving that in a pocket (since most folks upload an extra round), magazine back, reholstering... At least three possible mistakes there for a possible ND. Leaving it alone in the holster? Zero. Safety is a numbers game, I like zero vs three.

Full disclosure: I've had one ND. It was the stupidest f___ing thing I've ever done and since I followed three of the four safety rules it was a non-event other than ringing ears and my pride being forever hurt. Also a good reminder that I really hate patching drywall. I was clearing stuff that was going in the big safe.

Humbling and embarrassing and once you've done it you'll do serious research and find the typical causes and modify your behavior. I've added some rules around here that short-circuit the chain of events that led to mine. It had nothing to do with the above "leave it in the holster" technique but a long frank discussion with this instructor about the ND led to his describing that particular technique as well as some others.

There's a reason why the military has clearing barrels and there's a lot of rounds popped off into them.

I have a concealed carry permit and I carry a .380 designed for CC in a holster. Unless I am cleaning it or going to the range, it stays loaded in the holster with a round in the chamber. At home - locked in the safe. In car, I have a space for it in a locked glove box w barrel pointed down. This is what my CC instructor advised me to do. It saves me from loading/unloading it several times per day - sometimes this would be in my car in a public parking lot. Sure, I know how to properly load and unload it. But I think doing this several times a day and sometimes in a cramped space like my driver's seat would increase the risk of an accidental discharge.

I understand the military is very deliberate about clearing weapons after a patrol. I do the same after a hunt. I think that is a bit different than carrying a handgun. Those guys are probably fatigued and will be handling and cleaning their weapons every day. Further, their rifles are not in a holster which covers the trigger and safety.

Best thing about having the permit is that I won't get hit with a ridiculous and serious weapons charge. For example, an unloaded shotgun in a soft case in the backseat of an SUV with a box of birdshot nearby could get you arrested here.

Last edited:

It's not all about having it for in flight emergencies. I generally carry a firearm everywhere I go, 24/7. Pulling the gun out of the holster and manipulating it to empty the chamber introduces more risk than simply leaving it alone in the holster. Just leaving it alone is SAFER than having to unload it. Guns don't go off by themselves, they go off by manipulation (intended or unintended) of their controls.

Additionally, many carry firearms to protect against unforeseen circumstances. Asking one to catalog every event in which one might need one defeats the purpose. If we always knew why we would need a firearm, we could simply avoid those situations and dispose of all personal firearms.

My earlier post was in reply to two posts. One that claimed that the military walked around with rounds chambered all the time. We/they do not - there are different weapons status for different actions/threats. The other poster said that you should do as the military does - train like you fight, and fight like you train - while saying that you should carry your weapon in the same configuration at all times. As I said, the military neither trains nor fights like this.

You and I will obviously not agree on whether to configure your weapon differently based on the conditions and threat. A properly trained and currently proficient owner of a weapon should be able to safely place that weapon in different configurations based on the threat level. If they can't, they have no business carrying in the first place.

We routinely carried .45's cocked and locked in the Army, just as John Browning intended. Of course that was 40 years ago...

Last edited:
I think I've shared this before but dad's favorite firearm story was that he drew watch duty in Norfolk with a wet behind the ears new LT. The LT asked him if his sidearm was locked and loaded.

He drew the 45, which was loaded but not chambered and handed it to the LT saying, "I'm out of the Navy in two weeks. You feel like shooting someone in Norfolk today, be my guest."

The LT had to have a little chat with the Chief before he settled down and stopped saying stupid **** like "insubordination", "brig", and "brought up on charges".

LOL!

Because when you are in combat, you know when you are on a mission, a patrol, combat flight, or what have you. The rest of the time is spent in secure outposts behind razor wire and..oh yeah...armed guards. They are ready to fight instantly so you don't have to be.

When you are a civilian carrying for defensive purposes, the mission finds you, and always at the least convenient time. You are never out of the potential combat zone. When do you unload it? At home? Ever hear of a home invasion?

We routinely carried .45's cocked and locked in the Army, just as John Browning intended. Of course that was 40 years ago...
I wasn't old enough to serve that long ago. :)

I have heard (although I can't confirm) that the Air Force security forces typically keep their sidearms with a round chambered and safety off while on duty. All that is required for the weapon to fire is to draw and pull the trigger. No safety sweep, no nothing - just draw/fire. The justification I heard for this was that was a study that was done that pitted a knife wielder against a guard. The guy with a knife was able to close/attack the guard consistently from 20 feet before the guard was able to draw his weapon, chamber a round, take his weapon off safe, acquire the target and fire. I get this. It makes sense. For the same reason, when I drive my car I also carry a loaded weapon with a round in the chamber, although my pistol is left on safe. But I can't conceive of a threat while flying that would require this level of readiness.

Because when you are in combat, you know when you are on a mission, a patrol, combat flight, or what have you. The rest of the time is spent in secure outposts behind razor wire and..oh yeah...armed guards. They are ready to fight instantly so you don't have to be.

When you are a civilian carrying for defensive purposes, the mission finds you, and always at the least convenient time. You are never out of the potential combat zone. When do you unload it? At home? Ever hear of a home invasion?
One of the most significant threats last year to soldiers in Afghanistan was inside the wire green-on-blue attacks. Soldiers being shot by our Afghan partners in these so-called safe areas where they eat and sleep. Contrary to what you may believe, there are many small bases over here where all that razor wire and all those armed guards you speak of are literally just a few feet away from the cots and tents we sleep in. Many of these armed guards are Afghans. I'm very familiar with the need to look over my shoulder. And I'm very familiar with knowing that anyone that wants to can put their hands on me at any time while I sleep in my fabric tent. No home invasion needed - all you need to get through my walls is a sharp knife, or just toss a grenade or spray-and-pray with an AK47.

I spent a relatively long time sitting here trying to think of a non-condescending way to say this, and I have to say I was unable to figure out a way that didn't have me sounding like an ass.

I think what it comes down to is some people don't handle their weapons often enough to be able to safely or comfortably adjust their weapon to the changing threat levels they experience. I get that. And for those people, if they can't or won't get recurring experience and training, then they should either stop carrying or do as has been said in this thread: keep the weapon in it's holster and don't touch it unless/until it is needed.

I spent a relatively long time sitting here trying to think of a non-condescending way to say this, and I have to say I was unable to figure out a way that didn't have me sounding like an ass.

I think what it comes down to is some people don't handle their weapons often enough to be able to safely or comfortably adjust their weapon to the changing threat levels they experience. I get that. And for those people, if they can't or won't get recurring experience and training, then they should either stop carrying or do as has been said in this thread: keep the weapon in it's holster and don't touch it unless/until it is needed.

I'm with you on this, but the problem is that too many people like to finger f$%@ their firearms. And typically it's the guy who thinks he has to always have a round in the chamber.

I'm disappointed that Cap'n'Ron has taken a beating for saying that no one will fly with him with one in the chamber. Seems like it's his right to make that call.

I'm with you on this, but the problem is that too many people like to finger f$%@ their firearms. And typically it's the guy who thinks he has to always have a round in the chamber.

I'm disappointed that Cap'n'Ron has taken a beating for saying that no one will fly with him with one in the chamber. Seems like it's his right to make that call.
Ditto.

Personally, I don't think there is anyone in this thread that I wouldn't fly with in whatever weapons configuration they feel is justified, with the exception of a round in the chamber and the weapon off of safe with no holster or other barrier betwen the weapon and the world.

I would just have a discussion with them about the ground rules of when the weapon is and is not to be touched.

I think what it comes down to is some people don't handle their weapons often enough to be able to safely or comfortably adjust their weapon to the changing threat levels they experience.

What it really comes down to is that no one who carries a handgun needs to have their weapons out of the holster, messing with the safety and loading-unloading it in their car etc...

I think what it comes down to is some people don't handle their weapons often enough to be able to safely or comfortably adjust their weapon to the changing threat levels they experience.

That's not it at all. I could use the same argument to say that everyone should be comfortable carrying their weapon condition one, and needs remedial training if they can't do that safely.

The point is that, regardless of experience, the risk factor is lower when the weapon is in a well-designed holster than it is being handled.

Back