Flying Alaska (Part 8) - Gustavus AK to Friday Harbor WA

wayneda40

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
waynemcc
After our glorious Glacier Bay air tour, today we’ve got 2 legs back to the lower 48… with a big question mark for the 2nd leg… 3+ hours over hostile terrain -or- fuel stop and COVID challenges in Canada. Welcome aboard! Wayne, GeezerGeek Pilot

You should have stopped by and said Hi. Juneau is home airport..

Fuel in KTN and then you only have a bit over 500nm to get to Friday Harbor. What is your max range? I have flown that route a dozen times, but with eight hours endurance, not much of an issue for me. I would go SIT to BFI or RTN or PAE.

I have done this trip, Seneca II which at that time did not have long range tanks (93 gallons). Ketchikan to Victoria. I dindd't have the cahones to go on to Oak Harbor.

Fuel in KTN and then you only have a bit over 500nm to get to Friday Harbor. What is your max range? I have flown that route a dozen times, but with eight hours endurance, not much of an issue for me. I would go SIT to BFI or RTN or PAE.
Hi, Kristin... in Bill's C182 (with Texas Skyways 280 hp) running pretty lean (11 gph) we had 6 hours of endurance, plus 45 minute reserve. So also for us endurance wasn't the primary issue... rather our concern all along was the remote territory between Prince Rupert and Port Hardy. On this day we had a 20-to-30 tailwind and no real threat of icing, so it was a pretty nice leg.
Thanks for checking in,
Wayne

Hi, Kristin... in Bill's C182 (with Texas Skyways 280 hp) running pretty lean (11 gph) we had 6 hours of endurance, plus 45 minute reserve. So also for us endurance wasn't the primary issue... rather our concern all along was the remote territory between Prince Rupert and Port Hardy. On this day we had a 20-to-30 tailwind and no real threat of icing, so it was a pretty nice leg.
Thanks for checking in,
Wayne

Tailwinds make it easier. When the weather is pretty clear, it is absolutely gorgeous flying. With the improvements in facilities in SE Alaska, the area is really not nearly as problematic for flying as its reputation. I recall back in the early 80's that the best approach in all of SE was a 400-1 NDB approach to Sitka. That raised the stakes a bit back then.

Back