Flyable IMC

GauzeGuy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GauzeGuy
I just finished 20 hours of sim time and my knowledge test is already done. I have a bit of XC time to do yet, so one thing I thought about doing is dragging my CFII along on an XC in search of some actual time.

With the time of year in mind, are there any places we could fly to that are within reasonable range of Denver?

Ummm, define "reasonable." I got a little IMC on the Houston trip. Could have gotten in many approaches if I hadn't been tied up in meetings. Would have been good practice for the controllers too. It was obvious they were used to working faster equipment.:)

Might have to be a little careful though since some local was doing pattern work when I departed. Ceilings were ~1200. I didn't ask and no one said what was going on. EFD is a little funny that way. I just left and didn't look back.

Come to think of it there was a helicopter in the pattern when I arrived. Tower didn't bother to mention it but did 'splain when I asked about the traffic. Hmmm, EFD may be just a tad too laid back...

Last edited:
Might have to be a little careful though since some local was doing pattern work when I departed. Ceilings were ~1200. I didn't ask and no one said what was going on. EFD is a little funny that way. I just left and didn't look back.

Well, if you question what some of the traffic at EFD is doing, they might shoot you down. ;)

Well, if you question what some of the traffic at EFD is doing, they might shoot you down. ;)

Good point, Kent. All the helos seem to have plenty of things hanging off various bits outside the aircraft. The F-16s have plenty of things to expend.

The SCA was parked there. I was tempted to ask them if they lost something off the top...

Find a capped inversion (using skewT) in which the surface is 36 or greater, clear on top. That's your "reasonable" winter IMC.

Find a capped inversion (using skewT) in which the surface is 36 or greater, clear on top. That's your "reasonable" winter IMC.
The problem for the OP is that it doesn't happen much in the winter in Denver.

Is Dallas close enough?

The problem for the OP is that it doesn't happen much in the winter in Denver.

Exactly. Or even in the summer for that matter.

Is Dallas close enough?

Affirmative. That's one idea that my CFII and I have kicked around. Other option is to fly commercial somewhere farther away and use a local aircraft.

Exactly. Or even in the summer for that matter.
There's a short period around June where you might find some if you're lucky. Looking back, virtually all of my Colorado actual over the course of 20 years (not very much) was during that month.

Back