Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
For those who may be interested..

IMG_1959.JPG

Did it once. Would love to do it again. And that is just over the hills from here.

Great experience. I got some right seat time, and got to do most of the flying. Highly recommended!

I also got some right seat time. Pretty cool, and the pilot signed my log book as ME dual. If you do right seat, be sure to take you log book with you :).

Have done it several times ,while doing volunteer support work,while it was in Florida.

Usually they will take some of the volunteers on the re positioning flight in between stops. They do the same thing with the B-17. Got to fly on it from KLZU to Montgomery, AL a few years ago. I think we took ten or so on that flight. We got some left seat time on the way down.

That is awesome, thanks for sharing. Would like to work that out if I can!

Looks like they will be in Asheville a week or so later, that's even closer for me.

Here is the schedule.

Looks like the stops down here will be the 5-AT-B. The one I flew was the smaller 4-AT-E. So, I definitely need to make one of the stops. I'll probably end up going to either Asheville or Columbia rather than Collegedale.

Last edited:
I flew in a tri-motor once! would highly recommend it! Spoke to the pilot and he let me sit right seat and even take the controls for a few minutes, definitely a very memorable experience. I would love to do it again but sit in the cabin and experience what it was like for the passengers back in those days.

There are also a couple of upcoming opportunities to fly on a B-17 for folks in the Charlotte area.

Liberty Foundation's Madras Maiden will be at Concord NC on 9/16 & 9/17. That's this upcoming weekend.

EAA's Aluminum Overcast will be at Hickory, NC on 10/3. That's a Tuesday so might be hard for most to attend.

I'm going to try to make it out to Concord one day this weekend.

There are also a couple of upcoming opportunities to fly on a B-17 for folks in the Charlotte area.

Liberty Foundation's Madras Maiden will be at Concord NC on 9/16 & 9/17. That's this upcoming weekend.

EAA's Aluminum Overcast will be at Hickory, NC on 10/3. That's a Tuesday so might be hard for most to attend.

They came to Collegedale a couple of years back. Looks like they're coming to Chattanooga at the end of the month. Kind of odd to go there though being that it's the controlled field.

If you don't make that you can always come on down to KPDK October 6,7,8.

Well if we're going there I'm waiting on the F105 ride! :D

00.jpg

Last edited:
I flew one of those things from Muncie to Columbus Ohio. Quite the memorable experience.

Can anybody recall how long the ride lasted? Thinking about getting an early bird ticket, but not if it's just a quick 'fly the pattern'.

Can anybody recall how long the ride lasted? Thinking about getting an early bird ticket, but not if it's just a quick 'fly the pattern'.

When they are here (KLZU) they usually head out toward the mall and come back. Usually gone about 15-20 minutes.

They do more than just a pattern because they pick up interest by flying over nearby neighborhoods, trolling for customers.

When they are here (KLZU) they usually head out toward the mall and come back. Usually gone about 15-20 minutes.

They do more than just a pattern because they pick up interest by flying over nearby neighborhoods, trolling for customers.
Thanks. I'm considering purchasing a ticket for it.

The engine gauges are outside,,,,on the engines!

30 minutes, I brought my log book and flew for 20 of those minutes. FYI you need LOTS of rudder.

Day 3 of the Tri-Motor tour at FGU.

Better turn out than I expected.

IMG_2119.JPG IMG_2120.JPG IMG_2121.JPG

Just messing with ya. That where you're based? Saw it from the Air a few times inbound to CHA. That's Chattanooga lol.

Just messing with ya. That where you're based? Saw it from the Air a few times inbound to CHA. That's Chattanooga lol.
Not based there, but it's not far from the house. Chattanooga just a few miles to the west.

Never heard of it. Why is it called Dallas?

Looking at it on google earth. Never knew it was there. Looks cool.

Last edited:
Never heard of it. Why is it called Dallas?
There's a little inlet of the TN river called "Dallas Bay" that's just down the road from the airfield. How they came up with Dallas, I'm not sure.

There's a little inlet of the TN river called "Dallas Bay" that's just down the road from the airfield. How they came up with Dallas, I'm not sure.

What's there, FBO, flight school? besides planes based there? Busy on weekends?

Ever go to KRZR? I'm planning some trips there in the fairly near future.

Wow a new airport? Or is it built on a previous airport there? See one just to the west, Hardwick.

Ever go to KRZR? I'm planning some trips there in the fairly near future.
Once in awhile. It's a new airport with a beautiful FBO. The airport is worth checking out, but the surrounding city of Cleveland isn't anything to come see, unless you were planning to make a trip into Chattanooga.
What's there, FBO, flight school? besides planes based there? Busy on weekends?
Dallas Bay has a small FBO w/ flight school/flying club. Not too busy at any given time. It's a small and friendly group of pilots, which has kept me around.
Wow a new airport? Or is it built on a previous airport there? See one just to the west, Hardwick.
Yea. RZR opened around 2012. Hardwick was closed due to the new field just before. It's a nice alternative to CHA due to it's friendly nature for Corp. jet traffic., hence the name "Cleveland Regional Jetport." FBO is beautiful as well, almost too nice for the city surrounding it.

Wife and I drove from Blue Ridge Ga a few times to the mall in Cleveland. Beautiful drive thru the mountains, Ocoee River and white water rafting. Seem to remember the mall as being very small. Yes Regional looks like a nice field too, how long 5000-6000'?

Wife and I drove from Blue Ridge Ga a few times to the mall in Cleveland. Beautiful drive thru the mountains, Ocoee River and white water rafting. Seem to remember the mall as being very small. Yes Regional looks like a nice field too, how long 5000-6000'?
Yeah, that's a nice area through there. Cherohala Skyway is another scenic route in the area that's nice. According to the chart, RZR is 5500' .

We have kinfolk down there in Cleveland, and have done the Ocoee rafting a couple of times. Most excellent!
If you like old cars and motorcycles the Coker Tire museum in Chattanooga is free and pretty dang cool. Definitely worth it.

They travel all around the country. They even stopped by our place here in the middle of the f***ing desert (as my friends from civilization call it) and offered rides too.
Too bad that the scheduling lady on the phone was very grumpy and hard to talk to, or else I would have loved to book a ride. Sometimes you gotta wonder how businesses stay open with customer service like that.
I can try next year, maybe they'll hire a nicer secretary. I will definitely keep trying, it is worth it for sure.

Back