Fly-in restaurants

Not sure if someone already mentioned Cedar Mills (3T0). Grass strip, great food. The restaurant is about a 10 min walk from the tie downs, but well worth it.

Spitfire grill at WDR
Flying Machine at LZU
Downwind Restaurant at PDK

All right down the road from me and I have not given any of them a try.

I have been to Elevation Chophouse at KRYY and thought it was pretty good! The Liquid Nitrogen drinks are particularly interesting if your not flying out after.

Some on-airport restaurants that I like:

Airways Inn at FDK, Frederick, MD (classic airport restaurant)
Kay's at CGE, Cambridge Maryland (good seafood)
Arena's at the Airport at GED, Georgetown, DE (beach style chain restaurant)
Charlie's at JGG, Williamsburg, VA (one of the best in the East)
Enrique's at PNC, Ponca City, OK (Mexican - THE place to stop on coast to coast flights)
Todd's at RYN, Tucson, AZ (Our favorite stop to and from southern CA)
E&O Kitchen at INW, Winslow, AZ (historic building with 1930s murals)
Suzie's Skyway at PRC, Prescott, AZ (OK place when crossing southwest)
Mesa Grill at SEZ, Sedona, AZ (beautiful view)
Foxy's Landing at WJF, Lancaster, CA (good stop to and from the Bay Area)

Tyler TX KTYR the Skyline Cafe at the old terminal has great food. Also there is an aviation museum next to the Cafe.

Stephenville TX KSEP the Hard Eight BBQ is great. It is a few blocks away from the airport. Call them when you land and they will come pick you up.

Last edited:
I am looking for the best fly-in restaurants in the us. I am a airline pilot that has been out of the GA world for a while but getting back in. I do have a few requirements.
- All I see every day in the airline world are 10k foot runways and miles of pavement. So I prefer minimal pavement
- I would like the restaurants/airport to have some history, have been around for a while, or have a good story.
- last but not least the food has to be excellent.

The restaurants can be anywhere in the us or Alaska. My goal is to visit as many as possible over the next few years. Thanks to all who contribute for helping me on my journey!

ALN - St Louis Regional - High Flyers Grill - https://www.facebook.com/highflyers.grille After going through at least 3 openings and closings by different owners over the last 10 years, the airport restaurant has finally been taken over by a family who has run a very iconic and popular restaurant in the area since 1954. Hopefully it's now here to stay.

KLUK can't remember the name but a nice place to eat. Can catch a cab to Great American Ballpark if the Red legs are in town.
KPMH on field
KSJS nice resturaunt. airport sets atop a mountain close to surface coal mines.

Port Clinton Ohio PCW has the Tin Goose Diner and the Liberty Aviation Museum with adjacent tiedowns - but the runways have about a mile
The Tin Goose is great for atmosphere but I was not too impressed with the food. I would recommend

1. Airport Restaurant and Spirits at KJXN in Jackson, MI
2. Sorrento's at 3DA in Flushing, MI
3. The diner at KOEB in Coldwater, MI whose name I forget
4. Mi Casa at Griffith, IN (I forget the identifier for the airport, might be 05C)
5. Sal's Ristorante at KBVI, Beaver Valley, PA
6. It's not on the field, but I also like Red Mesa Grill in Traverse City, MI

Probably a few others I'm forgetting...

KLUK can't remember the name but a nice place to eat. Can catch a cab to Great American Ballpark if the Red legs are in town.

It's SkyGalley at Lunken. http://skygalley.net/

For a little more upscale, there's a GREAT French restaurant in the old terminal building at Bowman Field (KLOU) in Louisville, KY. Called Le Relias. A "serious" dining experience. (although I've never "flown" in for a meal.....the wine list is way too tempting) Can't enjoy a fabulous meal without a bottle or three....just sayin'.....

http://www.lerelaisrestaurant.com/

KRUE Russellville, AR. RWY 5100'

No place on the field except Wednesday lunch at the Eagles Club, all you can eat $6 - not gourmet. Usually southern style, Easy walk - 1/4 mile

Lots of eating places 1.5 to 5 miles - we have a crew car.

Info on restaurants here below and on sites like Yelp.

http://www.discoverrussellville.org/dining.

I enjoy Umami Oriental, Fat Daddy's BBQ, Old South (Elvis connection), Opel Mae's, La Venezia

Old South is a diner on US 64 between Memphis and Ft. Chaffee, where Elvis got his army haircut. Supposedly he stopped here. I wouldn't bet on it.

CJ Cannon's... a nice restaurant on the field at KVRB (Vero Beach, FL)... pull right up to the restuarant and park. My first x-c solo stop, so has sentimental value.
Also the first place I flew with my husband as passenger after I got my PPL.

At KMGJ (Orange County/Montgomery NY) Culinary Creations offer a above-average menu but suffer from a little snooty attitude. FWIW.

KPOC Bracket, CA
KWJF, Fox Field, Lancaster CA
Apple Valley Airport, CA

Lake Havasu, AZ did have a nice BBQ on airport, but I have it is closed.

Lufkin TX KLFK has good food at the old Cafe at the airport.

New Orleans Lakefront KNEW is a fun airport. Great approach in over the lake, and you can eat in the Art Deco terminal dating from the 1930s. Stunning building.

I enjoy Flo’s at Chino (CNO) in Chino, California. Great food and two great museum’s on the field.

Flo's at CNO is fantastic, but the airport is fairly large and so are the runways.
I can also vouch for Flo's. I have been going there (and to Planes of Fame and Yank's air museums) since I was a kid. A lot has changed but still a pretty worthwhile experience. They also have a B-17 at Planes of Fame (at least last time I went).

Apple Valley Airport, CA
:D I learned to fly there! I was there when they were remodeling to build that restaurant and enjoyed the food there for a while. I'm kind of sad they redid the walls though, they used to have a ton of pilot signatures (some over 40-50 years old) on the white bricks.

Try KOYM at St Marys, Pa. 4300 paved w/nice restaurant overlooking the single RWY or if your OK wih 2600 ft of Grass, Brokenstraw/P15 is a more interesting way of doing things.

Stopped at the Airport Diner at Fredicksburg (T82) today coming back from AZ. Now that was a burger worth flying for!

Gillian-McConnell, private field just north of KSOP, paved 2500 for the Pik-n-Pig. Pull into the grass off the taxi way and enjoy some respectable to good NC barbecue. We were flying nearby a week ago on Saturday at lunch and the TIS looked like a beehive.

Can't forget Block Island - KBID. Restaurant on the field, and nice little town not far away.
Provincetown - KPVC, Noting on the field, but plenty of great places in the small village.

All right down the road from me and I have not given any of them a try.

I have been to Elevation Chophouse at KRYY and thought it was pretty good! The Liquid Nitrogen drinks are particularly interesting if your not flying out after.

+1 on Elevation at RYY...oh, and you can get the Liquid Nitrogen drinks virgin, just FYI. For anyone that wants to as well, most of the local hotels have free shuttle service if you want to overnight.

Catalina Island KAVX has great food at the airport.
Also landing on top of a mountain on an Island is FUN!!!

Just ate at The Flying Machine restaurant at KZLU just outside of Atlanta. It was good. Burger was good although a bit pricey, even for a $100 hamburger.

KSJT -- San Angelo TX -- Mathis Field Cafe
This is an excellent Chinese restaurant that is great with American, too.
Two very attentive FBOs on this field as well!

For anyone crossing the country. 'Ryans Hangar' is in the Huron,SD airport (KHON) terminal. Bar-tender is also the on-call FBO lineman.

Oh, and I'll also mention Southern Soul BBQ about 2-3 blocks left from the FBO on St Simon's (KSSI). It's smokey, so don't sit in the smoke unless you want to smell it all the way home and for several weeks afterwards. This place was on Diner's, Drive-ins and Dives in 2010.

11R Brenham TX. Horrible food, ugly women, expensive gas. Stay away.... :D

We're crowded enough.

And if you come on a busy VFR weekend, please don't announce you're on the RNAV approach straight in on final you butthead! ... :mad2:

Can't forget Block Island - KBID. Restaurant on the field, and nice little town not far away.
It might be, but it's apparently only open during the summer -- as in, REAL summer, not even early autumn. I was there in late September last year and it was already closed.

I am looking for the best fly-in restaurants in the us. I am a airline pilot that has been out of the GA world for a while but getting back in. I do have a few requirements.
- All I see every day in the airline world are 10k foot runways and miles of pavement. So I prefer minimal pavement
- I would like the restaurants/airport to have some history, have been around for a while, or have a good story.
- last but not least the food has to be excellent.

The restaurants can be anywhere in the us or Alaska. My goal is to visit as many as possible over the next few years. Thanks to all who contribute for helping me on my journey!
Have to go to Enrique’s Mexican Restaurant in Ponca City OK. US. It’s been there for 40 years and is some of the best/most authentic Mexican/cuban food. The airport there is relatively small and gas isn’t bad in price at all. Promise you won’t regret flying in!

Have to go to Enrique’s Mexican Restaurant in Ponca City OK. US. It’s been there for 40 years and is some of the best/most authentic Mexican/cuban food. The airport there is relatively small and gas isn’t bad in price at all. Promise you won’t regret flying in!
Airport identifier? Airport stats?

First post here is an advertisement?

Back