Fly-In Food Joints Near New England?

USAF-LT-G

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
USAF-LT-G
Trying to see if there might be any airports close-by that have a fly-in restaurant (literally on the field with parking - no "foot pursuits / courtesy car / taxi required") in the area.

I've been coming out to MHT pretty regularly (Manchester), and trying to find something within a 45 - 1 hr flight max (or closer) that I could scoot off to and has good food. Fancier restaurant the better, but not necessarily a requirement.

Anyone know of anything?

Check with @Cajun_Flyer. When she's not having pillow fights with a monkey in her hotel room, she's been known to organize a flyin or two.

An hour can be totally different if your flying a Mooney vs. a Champ, but there was a nice linen tablecloth place at MJG, Orange County, NY. Don't know if it's still there.

Trying to see if there might be any airports close-by that have a fly-in restaurant (literally on the field with parking - no "foot pursuits / courtesy car / taxi required") in the area.

I've been coming out to MHT pretty regularly (Manchester), and trying to find something within a 45 - 1 hr flight max (or closer) that I could scoot off to and has good food. Fancier restaurant the better, but not necessarily a requirement.

Anyone know of anything?

Around Manchester, NH...

Best one is Nashua, NH (KASH). They have GREAT food. It's a wonderful diner and they have a nice pilot shop on site. Fun trivia - the tower guy is married to the diner lady.

Another favorite is Keene, NH (KEEN). Beautiful airport tucked into the mountains.

There's also Sanford, Maine (KSFM). It can be a little crazy there, but it's a nice spot along the coast and the restaurant has a neat decor. Not my favorite food, but most others seem to like it.

Some other favorites that aren't too far from you.. 6B6 (Minute Man in Stow, MA), KCQX (Chatham, MA), KMVY (Martha's Vineyard, MA), KLWM (Lawrence, MA).

You are welcome to join the New England Pilots FB group - we have a document on there listing all the airport diners in the area.

Last edited:

Anyone know of anything?

Wait - just saw you are looking for fancy. Hmm. I don't roll that way, so not really sure. MVY is a nice one and I guess there's a lot of fancy people hangin' around there, but the restaurant itself isn't high end. It also might be pushing your 1 hour limit.

There's also KEWB (New Bedford, MA) - a little more inland. They have a nice restaurant that I've never been to because it's expensive. So maybe that's more your style.

The restaurant at Stow (6B6) is nice. It isn't fancy, but it isn't your usual airport diner hole in the wall either. It has really nice decor. And a great view of the runway.

Lets see:

1. EWB - Airport Grille - date night. Cool bar.

2. HYA - park at Griffin - the entire Cape is outside your doorstep. Malls, etc.

3. OWD - there is a restaurant there -

4. IJD - world's only fly in Walmart - Ruby Tuesday, New England Pizza

5. HFD - Wings right there in the terminal

6. PWM - its Portland, they have a free car and the best looking FBO girls on the planet -

7. OXC - right there

8. EEN - indian joint right there

you'll be busy for a while - come back when you've explored them all.

9. ASH - its a choke and puke - greasy eggs - seems ok - if its still open

Awesome guys.... this is good stuff. I'm out here just about every week, and need to find some spots to take the client that aren't too shabby.

Lets see:

1. EWB - Airport Grille - date night. Cool bar.

2. HYA - park at Griffin - the entire Cape is outside your doorstep. Malls, etc.

3. OWD - there is a restaurant there -

4. IJD - world's only fly in Walmart - Ruby Tuesday, New England Pizza

5. HFD - Wings right there in the terminal

6. PWM - its Portland, they have a free car and the best looking FBO girls on the planet -

7. OXC - right there

8. EEN - indian joint right there

you'll be busy for a while - come back when you've explored them all.

#4 - Did you have to climb through the hilly woods and dodge scary barking pound dogs? I think I caught something there.

#8 - KEEN is no longer an Indian joint. They have a great new restaurant. Definitely stop in and try it if you haven't already!!

9. ASH - its a choke and puke - greasy eggs - seems ok - if its still open

Not even remotely accurate. Yes, it's still open. Still extremely good, with great service and a fantastic atmosphere Every time I go there, it's busy and customers are happy... in fact, last time I was there there were two old guys sitting at the table next to me. Heard one of them tell the owner, "I stop by here every chance we get... it's my favorite diner to fly to!" It's mine too.

Of course, I had a Comanche when I lived there - so my 45-60 flight is helluva lot further than yours if you're in a 100kt effective Skyhawk.

#4 - Did you have to climb through the hilly woods and dodge scary barking pound dogs? I think I caught something there.

#8 - KEEN is no longer an Indian joint. They have a great new restaurant. Definitely stop in and try it if you haven't already!!

well, its only been 7 years since I've been to either . . .

was based at IJD - you don't HAVE to do any of that - take the roadway to 66 - then walk along the roadway - there is NE Pizza, Dunkin' Donuts, you can do your shopping at Aldi if you want, but if you like junkyard dogs, ticks and brush, you can blaze a trail!

Glad to hear EEN has a a new one - and the restaurant at ASH has been horrible for so long I never went there anymore - glad to hear its updated!!!

was based at IJD - you don't HAVE to do any of that - take the roadway to 66 - then walk along the roadway - there is NE Pizza, Dunkin' Donuts, you can do your shopping at Aldi if you want, but if you like junkyard dogs, ticks and brush, you can blaze a trail!

Glad to hear EEN has a a new one - and the restaurant at ASH has been horrible for so long I never went there anymore - glad to hear its updated!!!

Ah, that makes more sense. KASH is pretty popular and has a good reputation. But I've only been active in the local pilot community a couple years, so not familiar with its history before that.

IJD - I was led astray, then. I only flew in once and I could almost hear my echo... no one around but one guy tinkering in his hangar. He directed me to the Valley of Death walk through the ticks and dogs. Maybe he didn't like my ****ty landing ;)

42B, walk to the Gelston house (fancy restaurant), other less fancy places across the road from it, and the Goodspeed Opera House.

Ah, that makes more sense. KASH is pretty popular and has a good reputation. But I've only been active in the local pilot community a couple years, so not familiar with its history before that.

IJD - I was led astray, then. I only flew in once and I could almost hear my echo... no one around but one guy tinkering in his hangar. He directed me to the Valley of Death walk through the ticks and dogs. Maybe he didn't like my ****ty landing ;)

Things change - and its a good thing!

The guy in the big hangar is George - he's still there - a great guy btw. But ticks and dogs don't bother him. . . there used to be a very active charter operation there - along with repairs to those airplanes, regular FBO maintenance - and fuel even. Before the suicide and the asset sale, and before the FBI got involved - but thats a whole different story.

Alton Bay, when open, has nice options. It's open now, BTW.

Last edited:
7B3 - good food right on the field.
44N has good burgers.

AUG used to have a restaurant on field, Augusta.

Jeffery, NH had ice cream in season.

Well there is always the Ruby Tuesday not far from the airport at ASH if the diner makes you puke... never tried the diner myself, will have to do that sometime. But the RT does require a courtesy car or bicycle, it's not quite walking distance... so not quite what the OP had in mind.

I always liked ASH -- helpful, friendly controllers, and ditto for the main GA FBO there (Infinity). One of the employees once loaned me his car to drive over to RT when one of the desk people had told me the courtesy car would be available and it wasn't.

Back