Fly-in Bed, Breakfast and Sports car

AmazedByGrace

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AmazedByGrace
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to get some opinions here. I will be opening a bed and breakfast this coming spring in a beautiful upscale 10,000 sq ft mansion on a hillside with a breathtaking view of the city of Tulsa, OK. It has ensuite bathrooms, and a brand new diving pool and hot tub. Delicious, home-made 4 course breakfasts served. We are five miles from Jones Riverside airport. Tulsa has lots of great restaurants and things to do here.

We are considering taking our little BMW Z4 to the airport for use by our guests as a courtesy car for the duration of their stay with us. It's a fun little car - sporty little white two seater convertible, red leather interior. Looks new. Has decent trunk space. Not very high milage because we don't use it much. Coded door lock. Fuel efficient. Fun for date nights. We would provide it for free - would just ask that the gas be topped off on return to the airport.

My question for you is -- would this be an incentive for pilots nearby (maybe within a two hour flight) to take us up on this for a romantic getaway or even a business trip? (My husband is also a pilot -- and he's all about bringing in someone to talk "flying" with him.) Would this be something you would consider if it were in a city near you?

Room rates for everything would be between 150 and 175 night.

Thanks in advance for your input.

So it's not on an airfield? Just near to one? If you're looking to get people flying in, I think it would help to maybe keep the car at the airport; otherwise, how would they get to your BnB in the first place?

Sounds like fun though, you can expect a visit from me in the future!

Yes, the car would be kept at the airport.

Oh geez, I totally skipped that part. :redface: Anyway, the courtesy cars I've come across so far have been in pretty sad shape and they say first impressions are lasting impressions. So if that's the car you're going to offer up, I'd bet you'll win quite a few people over before they step foot in your bed and breakfast.

The way you describe things, and your attitude, means you would be top of my list if I was going to your area (Tulsa).

Whatever the area, I'd still need reasons to go there. Business is obvious. Pleasure? I considering everywhere within a given radius of my start point. Your facility and car and interest in pilots sets you apart, but you're competing with all the other locations.

Here's wishing you the best of success!

Tulsa's a long way away from me, but I suppose if I was looking for a place to crash for the night, a pilot friendly hotel is always a good thing. The beemer may be a bit much for some (where would I put the baby seat?) but it sounds like you've got the right idea.

If I had only two people (two seat car, right?) and needed to go to Tulsa, I would be a customer.

Maybe consider a 4-seat car though.

Idea for you.... when ready to open, host a fly-in at the mansion. Invite pilots to fly in, park at one of the FBO's, then have shuttle vans going back and forth to bring the pilots from the airport.

Show off what you have, offer coupons, and a drawing for door prizes with a grand prize of a free luxury weekend stay.

Advertise all over the place, get the FBO to offer a fuel discount, and do what you can to draw pilots and facebookers and yelpers and travel bloggers in to see why you will be the best destination in NE Oklahoma.

And make sure to let me know if you do this... KRVS is just a 1:40 flight for me and I'd come up for such a party.

Hmmm.

Interested? Maybe.

Workaholic married to a workaholic. Yep.

Looking for weekend getaways. Yep.

The gotcha: you gotta sell me on Tulsa. Part of the reason I purchased my airplane was driving through Tulsa.

Post information if you go for it. If you have a decent offering I'll be a customer.

I agree with most of what aggie mike said.

Advertise all over the place, get the FBO to offer a fuel discount

The only problem with this is that RVS could discount their fuel $1.25 and they'd still be higher than OWP. Also, it's my understanding that they have intensive flight training there with students who can barely speak English (at least that's what I hear on the radio every time I'm flying in/out of OWP). RVS is not a very desirable destination airport, OWP would be far better.

OP...how convenient is The Pogue Airport (Sand Springs...OWP) to your proposed B&B? I'd be far more likely to come for a visit if OWP was the field of choice.

I am in. Driving to Tulsa from Wichita is a three hour event. I think it is 45-50 min by air. We go to KC a few times a year as a mini getaway. We talk about trying okc or Tulsa, but there is no real draw and we know Kc. This would be enough reason to give it a try.

Jim

Great input from everyone. Rachel, looking forward to your future stay.

Airman -- Tulsa got it goin' on! Tulsa was selected as one of the top travel destinations in the world by New York Times travel editors. It placed 47 out of 52 world-wide destinations.

LOL Brad -- I'm offering you a romantic getaway with your sweetie. Maybe leave the baby seat with grandma? But you and Dan do make a good point about a 4-seater being a better option. We like to travel with other couples -- so yeah -- I get it.

AggieMike -- what GREAT ideas! That sounds like some serious fun! We just might do that!

Brian - you made me laugh about driving through Tulsa being the reason you got your plane. I'll do you one better -- driving through Arkansas is why we got ours!

Bryanna -- say whaaaaaa....you don't like RSV? Bite your tongue! But OWP isn't far. We could work something out.

Topper -- we'll be your next favorite destination. ;-)) .

If you're like us -- we seem to always come home with a story when we fly. Looking forward to hearing yours -- and sharing ours!

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to get some opinions here. I will be opening a bed and breakfast this coming spring in a beautiful upscale 10,000 sq ft mansion on a hillside with a breathtaking view of the city of Tulsa, OK. It has ensuite bathrooms, and a brand new diving pool and hot tub. Delicious, home-made 4 course breakfasts served. We are five miles from Jones Riverside airport. Tulsa has lots of great restaurants and things to do here.

We are considering taking our little BMW Z4 to the airport for use by our guests as a courtesy car for the duration of their stay with us. It's a fun little car - sporty little white two seater convertible, red leather interior. Looks new. Has decent trunk space. Not very high milage because we don't use it much. Coded door lock. Fuel efficient. Fun for date nights. We would provide it for free - would just ask that the gas be topped off on return to the airport.

My question for you is -- would this be an incentive for pilots nearby (maybe within a two hour flight) to take us up on this for a romantic getaway or even a business trip? (My husband is also a pilot -- and he's all about bringing in someone to talk "flying" with him.) Would this be something you would consider if it were in a city near you?

Room rates for everything would be between 150 and 175 night.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Ya got a website or maybe just pics???

:needpics:

Sounds like you guys did your homework and set up the rooms for a perfect B&B....

When I travel out of this hell hole I live in.. Your B&B sounds like a perfect pit stop on a XC trip.....

Hope you guys pull it off...:yes::yes:..

"Ya got a website or maybe just pics???"

I could show ya pics -- but then, I'd have to kill ya. (It is in a state of remodel.) But soon -- vewy, vewy soon.

"Ya got a website or maybe just pics???"

I could show ya pics -- but then, I'd have to kill ya. (It is in a state of remodel.) But soon -- vewy, vewy soon.

You're gonna fit in with this crowd very well.

Welcome AmazedbyGrace.

You might want to PM Jay Honeck. He has been running a fly-in hotel in Texas for a while and you might be able to pick his brain. You and hubby might even want to fly down there for a weekend.

Good luck on your new venture. I had not heard that Tulsa was one of the go-to destinations.

My wife and I would definitely come for a weekend. We are always looking for someplace we haven't been before and Tulsa is a place we never had much reason to visit.

Wow -- great to hear about your new place!

Since 2002, we have been the only lodging establishment in America to provide a courtesy car for our fly in guests, first at our (now sold) hotel in Iowa, and currently at Amelia's Landing Hotel in Port Aransas, TX.

I remember when we first opened 14 years ago, everyone was talking about the concept, and the excitement it caused amongst pilots was palpable. We ALL hoped that the idea of courtesy cars for pilots would spread to other lodging establishments nationwide, but -- to date -- we have stood alone.

In other words -- welcome to the party! :) I hope you do it.

Now, that said, back to reality, and the advice you seek. Providing a free car for pilots is a major risk, and a giant PIA. In the 14 years we have provided cars, we have run into many issues, including:

1. Non-guest pilots using (stealing) the car.
2. Pilots damaging the cars.
3. Pilots arguing over use of the car (s)
4. Pilots taking the car out of authorized areas.
5. Cars not starting because the previous pilot left the dome light one, etc.

These are serious problems that takes you away from your core mission of running a lodging establishment. You have to decide whether the headaches are worth the effort. Obviously, most establishments think it is not.

As for insurance, you won't be able to afford it if you put the vehicle on your business policy. In fact, your agent will laugh at you if you mention it to him or her. We therefore keep the courtesy car in our personal name, and are simply lending our car to friends -- and all pilots are our friends.

Personally, I think the concept of a 2 seat sports car courtesy car is cool, but less than useful. Over the years our most useful and flexible courtesy vehicle was a 7 passenger Ford E-150 van. When you get multiple pilot guests, a 2 seat car will simply create conflict, and frankly pilots bickering over a free car is only funny the first five times it happens. lol

To date, we have decided that keeping a Lexus at the airport for our pilots to use has been worth it. We are continually evaluating it, though, because it's always a dicey thing to do. YMMV

You had me at "4 course breakfast". Just a bit far from Charlotte. Good luck!

Since 2002, we have been the only lodging establishment in America to provide a courtesy car for our fly in guests, first at our (now sold) hotel in Iowa, and currently at Amelia's Landing Hotel in Port Aransas, TX.

Doesn't the Cub Inn at E45 provide a Jeep to their fly-in guests?

Doesn't the Cub Inn at E45 provide a Jeep to their fly-in guests?

Yup. We stayed there a while back. He had an old Ford Expedition parked at the inn. Call after landing and he arrives at the airport by the time you tie the last half hitch on your tie down ropes.

Yup. We stayed there a while back. He had an old Ford Expedition parked at the inn. Call after landing and he arrives at the airport by the time you tie the last half hitch on your tie down ropes.
Lots of lodging establishments will pick you up. I don't know of any (except Amelia's Landing) that allow you free use of a courtesy car.

Airman -- Tulsa got it goin' on! Tulsa was selected as one of the top travel destinations in the world by New York Times travel editors. It placed 47 out of 52 world-wide destinations.

Reading this, I thought "neat. But why the hell would I want to go to Tulsa?"

What's there to do there?

Sounds like another fun destination "just for the heck of traveling" and to get away from life for a weekend.
Post some pictures and more info as they become available.

And I agree with most of the points above, including Jay's feedback. He knows what he's doing, they've been running a hotel for a loooooong time.

And of course, to attract pilots, provide pilot discounts and other incentives. Such as an IFR cancellation policy (talk to Jay).

Good luck with you project and let us know when it is finished!

Back