(Fly-In and Meet up) - Catalina KAVX - Feb 25

phillipny

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
phillipny
Hey guys,

My friend just upgraded to a Meridian and we are gonna take air-to-air pics of him over Catalina next weekend. If anyone would like to meet, Sunday 2/25/18, we have a small group meeting at Catalina Island KAVX for lunch and photos at the cafe.

Date: Sunday 2/25/18
Time: 10:00am at Airport Cafe in the back tables

Ill be taking pics for the website here of any pilots that show up
http://pilotportraits.com/

I may bring my studio printer again and have someone leave with a free poster of their plane.

Nice to see you again if you are free!
Phillip
P.S. Im working on an idea to turn low-pass photos into an Air-to-Air looking image. PM me if youd like to meet up!

K1lKNJp.jpg

3TX7NWA.jpg

kzj81RZ.jpg

FIxZydd.jpg

MQN4edV.jpg

pAjwDre.jpg

wv9ni3D.jpg

BNCb9ul.jpg

and if everyone could bring some asphalt and redo that runway it would be greatly appreciated!

That runway is maintained per owner preference.

That and the landing fee.

Two ways to keep people away.

Can you imagine if there were more daily operations there?

[And yes, I have a photo of my one landing there]

Great pics. Was just there today. Not sure I can make next Sunday. Will try.

I never found the runway to be in particularly bad shape nor the landing fee onerous. Has it gotten that much worse in the past 7 years since I was last there?

Reports of the runway's condition have been keeping me away. I might have to fly out there sometime and shoot a low approach, then circle the island for sightseeing.

Hi everyone.
As many already said the runway is in terrible shape, and not likely to get better for the near future. People damaged their wheel fairings, tires.. by landing there recently. I am not sure what the reason is for not repairing it, some people mentioned some above, but it's likely to have something to do with the owner Catalina Island Conservancy.
A better location, not as glamorous, for fly-ins, would be Fullerton and or Torrance, until they fix that runway.

P.S. Im working on an idea to turn low-pass photos into an Air-to-Air looking image. PM me if youd like to meet up!

Will you shoot from the tower or bring a huge Green Screen? I took these from the ground yesterday at Santa Paula, but don't think anyone will mistake them for air to air.

DSC02261.jpg DSC02210.jpg

Wow. Sad to read about the deterioration of the airport. I would imagine that business has really suffered for the restaurant. I guess there’s not enough funds to repair the runway even with the small landing fee. If I ever find myself in SoCal again, I’d hate if I couldn’t fly to Catalina.

Hi.
It is worse than you can imagine, the other end is worse. See some pics from recent flights.
AVXRWY1.jpg AVXRWY2.jpg AVXRWY3.jpg

Just a bit of exaggeration inho. I fly there regularly, including again yesterday. I guess my Comanche has superior retractable landing gear suspension. While I do think the runway needs some TLC, it is not a problem for most planes with average gear. Sure, it's bumpy, but I find it funny if you're afraid it will hurt your plane. Not a problem if you can land semi smoothly. I love flying out there, as do many others. There is always a good crowd out there on the weekends. I have yet to see a gear failure after 8 years of flying out there 5 to 10 times a year.

Just a bit of exaggeration inho. I fly there regularly, including again yesterday. I guess my Comanche has superior retractable landing gear suspension. While I do think the runway needs some TLC, it is not a problem for most planes with average gear. Sure, it's bumpy, but I find it funny if you're afraid it will hurt your plane. Not a problem if you can land semi smoothly. I love flying out there, as do many others. There is always a good crowd out there on the weekends. I have yet to see a gear failure after 8 years of flying out there 5 to 10 times a year.

I agree. I've been flying in to KAVX now for 40 yrs. It's no worse now than 40 yrs ago. Just be ready to avoid a pothole or 2. It is bumpy, but not dangerously so. If it were a real threat to aircaft, the local clubs and FBO's would prohibit landing there. Calexico's runway is worse and it's not a problem. Then again, I remember when Flabob's runway was dirt. (GASP).

Phillip,
Is your AVX meet up still on for tomorrow? Wx looks good as long as you leave by 7p
-Craig

PM me if you'd like to come for the breakfast snacks and drinks. We're putting together the food and beverages and checking who's still coming over.

Theres a small group of pilots meeting over the airport for Air-to-Air pics. If you'd like to be involved check in for details today.

See you tomorrow!

Pictures from Catalina shoot below

The guys did a great job flying in their Cirrus And we are planning another meet up again soon!

If anyone wants to join for the next one, or have any friends interested. Let us know.

High Res images in link on our website here
http://pilotportraits.com/blog/2018/3/2/catalina-island-2018-02-25

006vXML.jpg

HNgKCqX.jpg

OH0g3ve.jpg

ALesOVG.jpg

uQvpQID.jpg

S4nQpl8.jpg

8OEEvYV.jpg

LwXgX8X.jpg

N0836B0.jpg

i9aSMfz.jpg

That runway is maintained per owner preference.

That and the landing fee.

Two ways to keep people away.

Can you imagine if there were more daily operations there?

[And yes, I have a photo of my one landing there]

It's still worth flying to IMO

Great pictures Phillip! Really nice to have some nice in flight pictures of 5RP and it was a pleasure to meet you and fly with you/Steve!

Rudy

Great shots. What was your camera ship? These don't look like "low pass photos."

Back