Fly and Bike

Discussion in 'Cool Places to Fly' started by Tarrow, Mar 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Tarrow

Tarrow Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bruce
    It’s Spring and time to get flying, and biking. I thought I’d start a thread for those interested in trips using their fold up bicycles. I’ve been doing this for over 10 years and have a destination page with places to fly. I’m not a road biker so I look for airports with easy access to a trail system with my mountain bike. Google maps has the bicycle overlay which makes it easy to find trails. Here’s my list that might get you started: http://www.rovingbits.com/FlyBike/FlyBike.html
    Post and share the places you like to fly and bike. Some of these airports might also be of interest to hikers as well. It’s fun to combine our love of flying with a mode of travel on the ground other than a rental car. Day trips or longer are possible. Happy flying...

2. Bill

Bill Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    This page intentionally left blank
    Interesting, bookmarked!

3. PaulS

PaulS Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    PaulS
    Nice, haven't done this yet, but on my list.

4. MichaelRuiz

MichaelRuiz Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    MichaelRuiz
    Awesome! Nice to know some other fly and bikers out there. My wife and I have recently started flying and biking. I fly a small trainer so had to find the lightest bike I can find and we both like our Zizzo Liberte bikes. So far, we have been to KPIM and rode from the airport to Callaway Gardens' bike trail with a stop at their cafe. Really enjoyed it and it started our flying and biking bug. We have been to KCTJ to ride their 18 mile loop around town, but requires a courtesy car drive to it. Looking to try Jekyll Island next, but thanks for your list we will definitely expand our destinations...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  5. wrbix

wrbix Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pilot Lite
    I see a fair number of folks pulling bikes out of their planes at KCDK.

6. Martin Pauly

Martin Pauly Pre-takeoff checklist PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Martin Pauly
    I've flown to Creve Couer, MO (1H0) (St. Louis area) with my bike a few times. From here it's a very quick ride to the famous Katy Trail, which follows the Missouri River from St. Louis to Kansas City. From the ramp to the trail is 4.3 miles (specifically, to the Page Bridge trail head); half of it is bike-friendly roads and the other half dedicated bike lanes, including the bridge across the Missouri River (on the side, protected from other traffic).

upload_2021-3-27_7-8-45.png

Tarrow likes this.
  7. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    UngaWunga
    I've flown into KCDA in VT, then got a shuttle to the Kingdom trails for a couple of days riding/hurting my liver. Good times.

Edit: that was mountain biking on off road trails.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  8. Dana

Dana Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dana
    Not trail riding, but the new owners (one of them also owns several bike shops) of 42B in CT have a bunch of brand new free loaner bikes for visiting pilots.

9. texasclouds

texasclouds Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Any pics of the bikes in the planes? Do you remove the back seat?

10. Tarrow

Tarrow Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bruce
    My Montague fits in the Arrow baggage. I remove the front tire and handlebars along with folding the bike. For a second, non-foldable bike, I did remove the back seats. Did a W&B to make sure but it was easily in the envelope. Rear seatbelts held the bike in place.

11. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    UngaWunga
    Pop the rear seat out of the 172, can easily fit two mountain bikes with wheels removed in the back. Could probably fit three, but can't bring three people. Road bikes are no issue. Made anchors that fit the bolt holes for the rear seat, and use bungies or straps to hold the bikes/wheels in place.

12. Dana

Dana Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dana
    If you had two wing struts on each side you could strap 'em there like the Super Cub guys do...

13. Martin Pauly

Martin Pauly Pre-takeoff checklist PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Martin Pauly
    I'm spoiled by all the space in the A36. I only take the front wheels off the bikes; then I secure the fork in a bike mount on a little contraption that slides onto the seat rails of the middle row. They are the same mounts often used to secure bicycles on the bed of pickup trucks.

upload_2021-4-1_9-44-16.png

upload_2021-4-1_9-44-29.png

14. jd21476

jd21476 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    jd21476
    Anybody ever fit bikes in a Piper Comanche? I wonder if I can fit one through the baggage door with the wheels off and handle bars.

15. Matthew Johnson

Matthew Johnson Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Matt Johnson
    Today's adventure was to fly to KSGH, bike to Yellow Springs (~5.5 miles on rail to trail) and then take a bit of a hike through Glen Helen Nature Preserve before reversing the process. This was the first test of two Brompton bikes in the 182 - they both fit, but adding the rack to the back of one make it a bit more fiddly to get into the luggage compartment than it was before the rack was added. Maybe next time they will both go on the back seat and put luggage in the luggage compartment... probably quicker and easier to load/unload.

16. Arrow76R

Arrow76R Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Arrow76r
    I put my Montague (folding 26") bike in my Arrow. I also had to remove the seat and rear rack to get it to fit (no big deal) and, of course, the front wheel comes off before you fold the bike.

Attached Files:

texasclouds likes this.
  17. ExpressJetter

ExpressJetter Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    ExpressJetter
    Fyi your ocean city identifier is for ocean city nj not maryland

18. ETres

ETres Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    ETres
    In 2007, I managed to stuff a recumbent bicycle and camping gear into my C-182A - without removing any seats - and fly to ride the Hotter N' Hell 100 in Wichita Falls, TX.