Fly and Bike

Tarrow

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bruce
It’s Spring and time to get flying, and biking. I thought I’d start a thread for those interested in trips using their fold up bicycles. I’ve been doing this for over 10 years and have a destination page with places to fly. I’m not a road biker so I look for airports with easy access to a trail system with my mountain bike. Google maps has the bicycle overlay which makes it easy to find trails. Here’s my list that might get you started: http://www.rovingbits.com/FlyBike/FlyBike.html
Post and share the places you like to fly and bike. Some of these airports might also be of interest to hikers as well. It’s fun to combine our love of flying with a mode of travel on the ground other than a rental car. Day trips or longer are possible. Happy flying...

Awesome! Nice to know some other fly and bikers out there. My wife and I have recently started flying and biking. I fly a small trainer so had to find the lightest bike I can find and we both like our Zizzo Liberte bikes. So far, we have been to KPIM and rode from the airport to Callaway Gardens' bike trail with a stop at their cafe. Really enjoyed it and it started our flying and biking bug. We have been to KCTJ to ride their 18 mile loop around town, but requires a courtesy car drive to it. Looking to try Jekyll Island next, but thanks for your list we will definitely expand our destinations...

Last edited:
I see a fair number of folks pulling bikes out of their planes at KCDK.

I've flown to Creve Couer, MO (1H0) (St. Louis area) with my bike a few times. From here it's a very quick ride to the famous Katy Trail, which follows the Missouri River from St. Louis to Kansas City. From the ramp to the trail is 4.3 miles (specifically, to the Page Bridge trail head); half of it is bike-friendly roads and the other half dedicated bike lanes, including the bridge across the Missouri River (on the side, protected from other traffic).

upload_2021-3-27_7-8-45.png

I've flown into KCDA in VT, then got a shuttle to the Kingdom trails for a couple of days riding/hurting my liver. Good times.

Edit: that was mountain biking on off road trails.

Last edited:
Not trail riding, but the new owners (one of them also owns several bike shops) of 42B in CT have a bunch of brand new free loaner bikes for visiting pilots.

Any pics of the bikes in the planes? Do you remove the back seat?
My Montague fits in the Arrow baggage. I remove the front tire and handlebars along with folding the bike. For a second, non-foldable bike, I did remove the back seats. Did a W&B to make sure but it was easily in the envelope. Rear seatbelts held the bike in place.

Pop the rear seat out of the 172, can easily fit two mountain bikes with wheels removed in the back. Could probably fit three, but can't bring three people. Road bikes are no issue. Made anchors that fit the bolt holes for the rear seat, and use bungies or straps to hold the bikes/wheels in place.

If you had two wing struts on each side you could strap 'em there like the Super Cub guys do...

I'm spoiled by all the space in the A36. I only take the front wheels off the bikes; then I secure the fork in a bike mount on a little contraption that slides onto the seat rails of the middle row. They are the same mounts often used to secure bicycles on the bed of pickup trucks.

upload_2021-4-1_9-44-16.png

upload_2021-4-1_9-44-29.png

Anybody ever fit bikes in a Piper Comanche? I wonder if I can fit one through the baggage door with the wheels off and handle bars.

Today's adventure was to fly to KSGH, bike to Yellow Springs (~5.5 miles on rail to trail) and then take a bit of a hike through Glen Helen Nature Preserve before reversing the process. This was the first test of two Brompton bikes in the 182 - they both fit, but adding the rack to the back of one make it a bit more fiddly to get into the luggage compartment than it was before the rack was added. Maybe next time they will both go on the back seat and put luggage in the luggage compartment... probably quicker and easier to load/unload.

I put my Montague (folding 26") bike in my Arrow. I also had to remove the seat and rear rack to get it to fit (no big deal) and, of course, the front wheel comes off before you fold the bike.

Attachments

• IMG_4404.JPG
    IMG_4404.JPG
    260.8 KB · Views: 55
Fyi your ocean city identifier is for ocean city nj not maryland

In 2007, I managed to stuff a recumbent bicycle and camping gear into my C-182A - without removing any seats - and fly to ride the Hotter N' Hell 100 in Wichita Falls, TX.

my wife just surprised me with the Zizzo Campo. I used it for my 4 mile commute from the airport close to my office. Works great, only weighs 28lb. $280 on amazon. I think we will be picking up another for her. We usually keep the back seat out of our 172, but 2 of these would easily fit on the back seat. Haven't tried to see if I can get it through the baggage door. probably not worth the effort.

I have a montague folding bike, so far only one trip with it in an aircraft to a rail trail, but I hope that's the first of many. I have compiled a list of places starting closest to my home base that have rail trails or greenways within easy access of an airport. Other than your suggestion of the google maps biking layer, you can also use the mapping feature on the TrailLink website (google it, rails to trails conservancy) to find rail or greenway trails and cross reference with nearby airports. It won't let you zoom in really close to the trail, but usually close enough to see the nearby airports. Plus you can read detailed descriptions and reviews of the trails before you go. The Recreational Aviation Foundation online airfield guide may also be a help there, it's how I found out about a couple fields.

I look for trails within around 2 miles or less of an airport, and no busy or dangerous roads between the airport and the trail. Just some in my general midwest area include M21, MTO, GPC, EYE, MZZ, MIE, 7I2, I73, LUK, SGH, 1WF, 1H0, FYG, 63M, JEF, 0OH5. Several of those I also saw in the website listed in the first post. Also ideas for places like Abingdon VA, Elkins, WV, or Greenbrier in WV with a popular trail that supports businesses where you might be able to hire a trail shuttle to take you to the trailhead and pick you up later.

I bought the cheapest aluminum framed bicycle I could get off Amazon. Got a bag to put it in too. Fits nicely in the baggage compartment of the Mooney. Haven't done that much with it yet, but the times coming...

I’ve put a couple of road bikes in a SR22. The wheels are too big to fit through the luggage door, but fit in the luggage space; brought them in the main doors and then over the back seats. Then covered the back seats with a blanket and put both frames in the back. With quick release wheels it’s pretty fast.

I fold down the rear seats in my Tiger and easily put two full sized bikes in the back. Getting old so now removing both wheels makes it much easier. Lots of places in Michigan with airports very close to paved rail trails. Also fly down to Florida during the winter to spend a week doing some beautiful rail trails south of Ocala. I also land at airports closed to hiking trails and backpack for a couple days or a couple of weeks.

Flew to Gettysburg (W05) from Bay Bridge (W29) on Saturday and rode around the battlefield. We have a couple Origami bikes that fit in the back of a 172F with the seats out and plenty of room for a cooler and other stuff. They actually have a carrying bag, which helps keeps the bikes folded.

They only have 8 speeds and with the small wheels going up Little Round Top was strenuous, but the rest of the battleground was fine. It's really set up for cars, but there are generous shoulders in spots and traffic is going slow. It's about two miles to the battleground from the airport, and while hilly, not too bad and good shoulders.

We rode into town for lunch, which was crowded, but found a place called "Gettysburger" that was pretty good.

Dave, the guy at the airport, was very friendly and helpful and offered us a ride into town, which we didn't need. We parked in front of the FBO building; be sure to bring ropes for the tiedown rings. Also, bring plugs as there are lots of birds. Dave provided us some old curtains to fill in the gaps as the plane I was using was missing its plugs. There were doughnuts, coffee and an airport cat. As we were leaving, there were some people loading up their foldable bikes in their Cirrus. The airport is doing a bunch of improvements and it's not crowded there. With all the history nearby, it's a great destination airport.

Today's adventure was to fly to KSGH, bike to Yellow Springs (~5.5 miles on rail to trail) and then take a bit of a hike through Glen Helen Nature Preserve before reversing the process. This was the first test of two Brompton bikes in the 182 - they both fit, but adding the rack to the back of one make it a bit more fiddly to get into the luggage compartment than it was before the rack was added. Maybe next time they will both go on the back seat and put luggage in the luggage compartment... probably quicker and easier to load/unload.

Where’s the best place to pick up the rail trail from KSGH? Tried to find it on Google Earth, but so can’t see it.

I grew tired of flying places and not being able to ride into town. Folding bikes were expensive, so I stole
borrowed my little sister's bike, cut the frame tubes and used quick release pins to reattach them.

It worked OK and fit in the back of a C-150, but I got tired of riding anywhere there were hills.

I grew tired of flying places and not being able to ride into town. Folding bikes were expensive, so I stole
borrowed my little sister's bike, cut the frame tubes and used quick release pins to reattach them.

It worked OK and fit in the back of a C-150, but I got tired of riding anywhere there were hills.

Keep an eye on Craigslist. I picked up a Dahon with 20 inch wheels for about $125. Decent enough for a 3 mile ride into town.

KMGN has a bike trail that is just behind the FBO that takes you to either Harbor Springs or Petoskey Michigan in 5-6 miles. And would make a great base for a day trip to Mackinaw Island (~30nm flight, and much cheaper hotels/B&Bs).

Attachments

• IMG_5583.JPG
    IMG_5583.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Another year and warm weather is here again. I have a new version of my Fly and Bike website with a Google Maps interface. It’s easier to find an airport to fly and then take out your bike. Some airports have bikes available. I have found airports in most of the states, even Alaska and upper Wisconsin (who bike in the winter). It’s been fun discovery and thanks to those who sent me their bike trails near airports. http://www.rovingbits.com/FlyBike/FlyBikeMap.html
There’s also the original listing:
http://www.rovingbits.com/FlyBike/FlyBike.html
Have fun,

There’s a whole system of trails just west of Copperhill, TN along the Ocoee River called the Tanasi Trail System.

https://mobilemaplets.com/showplace/6162

Fly into Copperhill (1A3). I keep an older Honda Element* at the airport as an occasional “crew car”. Bikes would fit pretty easily in the back to get to the trails, less than 10 miles away. Give me a head’s up and I can let you know how to access the keys.

* It’s a manual transmission, but I hope that wouldn’t dissuade most pilots!

I often went into Ducktown and rented bikes for the trails. They gave us a ride to the trailhead in an old school bus.

It's an all-day adventure. There are mostly river rafting outfits there now (also fun!).

Anybody ever fit bikes in a Piper Comanche? I wonder if I can fit one through the baggage door with the wheels off and handle bars.
I remove front/rear wheels put frame in rear floor in a bag, and wheels in a bag. No problem. 58cm road frame.

I've flown to Creve Couer, MO (1H0) (St. Louis area) with my bike a few times. From here it's a very quick ride to the famous Katy Trail, which follows the Missouri River from St. Louis to Kansas City. From the ramp to the trail is 4.3 miles (specifically, to the Page Bridge trail head); half of it is bike-friendly roads and the other half dedicated bike lanes, including the bridge across the Missouri River (on the side, protected from other traffic).

View attachment 95116
ok, I know this reply is to an older post, but the Hermann MO airport (63M) is only about 1 mile south of the Katy Trail @ Rhineland, MO. Enjoyable riding.

Fly into Grand Haven MI (3GM) and just southwest of the field is The Electric Bike Place. They rent electric bikes by the hour or day. Lots of trails to / along Lake Michigan.

https://electricbikeplace.com/

Just got back from taking my montague allston folding bike to I72 in the rans s21. Cool grass strip very close to the Monon trail, made it all the way to downtown Indy. They also have loaner bikes there fyi. So far have also done Cardinal greenway near MZZ, another section of the Cardinal via MIE, Katy Trail via JEF, and the Richland b&o via 0OH5. Wanted to go to VJI for the Virginia creeper trail but have to work up my courage to go over mountains heheh…

I bought the cheapest aluminum framed bicycle I could get off Amazon. Got a bag to put it in too. Fits nicely in the baggage compartment of the Mooney. Haven't done that much with it yet, but the times coming...

Which make/model bike fits in a Mooney comfortably?

Back