Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
MacFlier
Let's say I have the following route:
KTKI GARL8.TYR KTYR

This route has the following waypoints:
KTKI TTT CLARE ROCKK TYR KTYR

Now, let's say I take off and get "proceed direct CLARE" from ATC. How can I go to the Edit Route option and do a "direct to" CLARE in FltPlan Go? Is that even possible?

On the map page. Tap Edit then tap CLARE and it will give you the option to go Direct.

On the map page. Tap Edit then tap CLARE and it will give you the option to go Direct.
That works if the route is "expanded". But the route I have when I click Edit is KTKI GARL8.TYR KTYR. I can't click CLARE. :(

How did you get the GARL8 SID to expand and show all the waypoints? I only see GARL8.TYR on the route, I don't see the underlying waypoints like you do.

Are we talking Android or IOS? iOS has the direct to waypoint functionality from the edit screen. Android does not.

Another way to get Direct to. Long tap on the waypoint on the map. When the selection box comes up, scroll down to the waypoint. To the right will be a down caret. Tap on the down caret and there will be a direct to option. That one works in both operating systems.

upload_2020-8-20_21-12-48.png

Last edited:
Mark, doing that (tapping on the waypoint on the chart, expanding the carat menu, and selecting "Direct To") works for the Direct To (on Android), but it also loses the rest of the routing. That doesn't work for the case the OP describes where the plane is on a flight plan and ATC gives a shortcut to a waypoint further along, but the route will continue from there as it had been cleared originally.

Or am I doing this wrong?

Can you stop by the Red Barn at KSLR on your way back? I’m hungry for a good burger.

Mark, doing that (tapping on the waypoint on the chart, expanding the carat menu, and selecting "Direct To") works for the Direct To (on Android), but it also loses the rest of the routing. That doesn't work for the case the OP describes where the plane is on a flight plan and ATC gives a shortcut to a waypoint further along, but the route will continue from there as it had been cleared originally.

Or am I doing this wrong?
Argh. You are right. I guess it's one of those oddities in this app. It's always had them.

Argh. You are right. I guess it's one of those oddities in this app. It's always had them.
I found something interesting yesterday while playing with the app on my iPad:
If you tap and hold on a way point on the route you get the pop up to add to route. Then you click on waypoints tab to see the waypoint on the SID that you want to add.
Here's the interesting thing: if you expand the drop-down close to the waypoint and do a direct to, it will replace your route with a present-position to waypoint route.
If you click on "add to route" it will add it at the beginning or end of the route without expanding the SID.
But, if you click on the waypoint without expanding the drop-down close to it, it will add the waypoint to the end of the route and also expand the SID!
You can then click on the waypoint in the route and do a direct to.
Cumbersome, no intuitive, smells like a bug, but it helps.
You do have to delete the waypoint added after your airport, which you can only do in Text mode, not Token mode (another bug?)

Cumbersome, no intuitive, smells like a bug, but it helps
Well, it is a free app after all. I'm actually beginning to consider it as a realistic IFR backup for the first time since it appeared. Although I like bells and whistles, in a backup role, I really don't care that much beyond an "own ship" moving map and approach plates and, of course, not crashing a lot (something I will have to test in flight).

Mark, have you had a recent look at Xavion from Austin Meyer, the developer of X-Plane?

Mark, have you had a recent look at Xavion from Austin Meyer, the developer of X-Plane?
I have. It's really not something I'm interested in. Yes, for partial panel emergencies I do like having something that goes back to my days practicing partial panel with the HSI page on a GPSMap 396 :D. But it's not a priority for an EFB backup. Besides it doesn't fulfill one of my top three priorities for a backup - it has to work on both iOS and Android.

I use Avare and I really like it for changes in routing. It is pretty simple. You just long press any point on the map and add it to the flight plan. You can rearrange the new way-point where you want it just by moving it up or down with arrows in the edit mode. You can also just grab the magenta line and move it to where you want (rubber-band) to edit your route. I think the editing is relatively easy. Of course I also use the Avidyne IFD 100 app paired with my IFD 440. That is pretty awesome as well. I like Fltplan go a lot when it comes to flight planning though. Just touch on the Fltplan.com button and it takes you to the flight planning website. Then it downloads your navlogs and weather to your tablet. I also like that Fltplan go and Avare are totally free for all maps, charts, and plates. Avare is also great incorporating adsb weather and traffic. just touch anywhere and it brings up weather and winds aloft for that area. It also automatically switches to the airport diagram on roll out which is nice. When I arrive and shut down, upon exit, Avare emails my flight tracks to me. I like that a lot as well.

I gotta try Avare. Thanks for the tip!

I use DroidEFB, but have FltPlan Go as a backup. Both will work with non-Garmin equipment. (I have an NGT-9000 transponder.) While FltPlan Go seems to have working basic features, I've found the user interface a bit clunky and complex. The DroidEFB user interface is much simpler.

Playing around with FltPlan Go, it appears you can long-press on a waypoint and select direct to, but then it deletes your flight plan and replaces it with the direct-to waypoint (in Android). In Droid EFB, if you slide out the flight plan tab and click on a waypoint, you can select Direct-To and get a new magenta line from your current position to that waypoint. The rest of your flight plan is left in place, and you can delete the preceding flight plan waypoints if desired.

I don’t have those problems in foreflight . Route changes are simple as long as your in smooth air.

Let's say I have the following route:
KTKI GARL8.TYR KTYR

This route has the following waypoints:
KTKI TTT CLARE ROCKK TYR KTYR

Now, let's say I take off and get "proceed direct CLARE" from ATC. How can I go to the Edit Route option and do a "direct to" CLARE in FltPlan Go? Is that even possible?
Tap edit
tap TTT - it gives you the option to show on map, direct to, or delete
tap delete

If you have more waypoints between you and the direct to you have been cleared for you may have to do it a couple times, but it maintains your overall route while deleting the unneeded waypoint. At least this is how it works on my iPhone.

Tap edit
tap TTT - it gives you the option to show on map, direct to, or delete
tap delete
That's the main problem: when I tap Edit, there's no waypoint TTT. Only GARL8.TYR (the full procedure as one single thing).

I don’t have those problems in foreflight . Route changes are simple as long as your in smooth air.
Foreflight seems awesome, but for now I'm redirecting all my funds to finish my IR... :) so Foreflight subscriptions will happen sometime in the future

That's the main problem: when I tap Edit, there's no waypoint TTT. Only GARL8.TYR (the full procedure as one single thing).
Ill preface by saying I'm not IFR rated so I've never attempted to load departure/approach procedures in my Flghtplango app. I used your example, plugged in the waypoints you listed and was able to delete the one not needed. I do not see GARL8.TYR or even GARL8 when I start typing in waypoints.

Ill preface by saying I'm not IFR rated so I've never attempted to load departure/approach procedures in my Flghtplango app. I used your example, plugged in the waypoints you listed and was able to delete the one not needed. I do not see GARL8.TYR or even GARL8 when I start typing in waypoints.
It's not "a waypoint." It's a STAR. You may not know what it is but Go does and will create a route using it.

I gotta try Avare. Thanks for the tip!

It is an android only app. I have used it for almost 5 years. The biggest downside for me is that I don't really like the wx briefing part of it. I do, however, like flying with it a lot. It is pretty simple but very functional, and I don't think it has ever crashed on me. It takes a lot less resources on the tablet than any other efb I have tried, so it is a fairly cleanly written app. I like the adsb weather and traffic a lot better then the Fltplan go app. It is also pretty hard to beat free. I do donate to it though. It is certainly the right thing to do in my opinion.

It works fine if you type in the waypoints, one by one. But, usually on an IFR plan, you enter a SID and/or STAR with the transition waypoint (like GARLAND 8 transition TYR VOR = GARL8.TYR). That's a lot easier than typing all the waypoints and that's how you'd do it on the avionics too.

• With Avare, also, since I have only used the government charts and plates since day one flying IFR and never used Jeppesen, It is much more comfortable for me when flying IFR then anything that uses the Jeppesen format.

Last edited:
One downside I forgot to mention with Avare, you can't enter sids and stars without individually entering the waypoints. I have adapted okay with that and since I program the avidyne and it does do sids and stars automatically, that is my primary. However, most of my flights don't use sids or stars anyway.

• With Avare, also, since I have only used the government charts and plates since day one flying IFR and never used Jeppeson, It is much more comfortable for me when flying IFR then anything that uses the Jeppeson format.
They all use the FAA charts unless you pay a lot extra for the Jepp charts (for those which even have the option). For example, Foreflight Pro Plus (the most common piston IFR version) with FAA charts, $199. With Jepp charts for the lower 48 and Hawaii, $398. Double the cost.

They all use the FAA charts unless you pay a lot extra for the Jepp charts (for those which even have the option). For example, Foreflight Pro Plus (the most common piston IFR version) with FAA charts, $199. With Jepp charts for the lower 48 and Hawaii, $398. Double the cost

I never tried an efb that had the option. (fltplan go, avare, and the ifd 100 ap) The ifd 100 app only uses jepp. I have them on my ifd ipad but don't like them since I am not used to them. I have never tried foreflight.

I never tried an efb that had the option. (fltplan go, avare, and the ifd 100 ap) The ifd 100 app only uses jepp. I have them on my ifd ipad but don't like them since I am not used to them. I have never tried foreflight.
Are you sure you have them on the IFD 100 without paying for a subscription? I know the IFD demo app has a demo database which includes them and when you but a real IFD you get a 60 trial, but after that, pretty sure you gotta pay to have them. No?

and yes, I've heard Avidyne does not give you an FAA chart option.

Are you sure you have them on the IFD 100 without paying for a subscription? I know the IFD demo app has a demo database which includes them and when you but a real IFD you get a 60 trial, but after that, pretty sure you gotta pay to have them. No?

and yes, I've heard Avidyne does not give you an FAA chart option.

Yes, that is all correct. The plates I got with the ifd 60 day trial are no longer current and I don't use them. I should probably delete them, but who knows, in some weird sort of emergency, they could be useful. When I first got the trial I found myself just using Avare for my plates. After the trial expired, I just went to the navdata plan for $299. I saw no need to get the charts and plates that I didn't use. Avidyne does not give you an FAA chart option. I am convinced it is because of kickbacks in one form or another from Jeppesen, but I guess that is a topic for another thread.

Back