FltPlan Go App - Tips and Tricks

labbadabba

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
labbadabba
I'm beginning work on my IR so I've been in search of the best EFB no money can buy. FltPlan Go fits the bill. Geo Referenced charts and plates, ADS-B and XM Weather capability, flight planning, WX and all of it free!

My only issue, is I find some of the features to be clunky and the FltPlan.com online tutorial is not as robust as I'd like.

Do any power users out there of the FltPlan mobile app have any tips and tricks they can provide?

For instance, I can't for the life of me figure out how to use the measuring tool on the maps page...

I just use it for filing and helping figure speed, fuel, ideal altitude and time, for everything else I use foreflight.

I wouldn't use fltplan as a standalone EFB app

Actually, for a IFR student, I wouldn't use a EFB periord, at least until you earn your IR ticket.

From an EFB perspective it has too many flaws for me to use it as a sole source. I do use it for backup to Garmin Pilot and use the checklist feature in it all the time.

Their recent issue with iOS 8 where it took a couple of days for them to release a fix wouldn't have made me happy if I used it exclusively or as the primary. As well, I find that the download section needs some work. Not quite ready for prime time, but they are getting closer.

The measuring tool is easy enough. While viewing the map, touch the ruler icon on the top right border. A measuring tool window appears with a reset button. Touch any point on the map, such as a distant lakeshore and then touch any other point, such as your current position, and the measuring window displays the distance between them. Touch the reset button to try again or touch another point on the map to add to the measurement. Touch the 'x' on the measure window to close it out.

I haven't figured out how to view the misc documents that you are able to download, such as the A/FD legend. If I figure it out I'll post the answer but if anyone knows please feel free to share. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Actually, for a IFR student, I wouldn't use a EFB periord, at least until you earn your IR ticket.
I don't see any problem using an EFB as an instrument student. I like the idea of learning to use the IFR tools one will use in real IFR flight, whether it be VOR, GPS, autopilots, or EFBs.

But I do see a problem with using one you would not use in the real world. An EFB is a tool and it's usually best to learn the tools one will actually use. As others have mentioned, while I like Go! for planning and information purposes, I do not have enough confidence in it to use it in actual IFR fligh.

Last edited:
Back