Floatplane crash in AK

sarangan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew, CFI-I
I happened to be watching this youtube channel, and at the end saw the memorial for one of the guys in the video. Apparently, a stall spin on takeoff on July 21 in Alaska, presumably Part 135. Accident video shows the airplane struggling to take off. Passengers walked away, surprisingly. It was very disturbing to see these two videos back to back, of the same pilot.

Sad indeed. Sounded like an intelligent young man with a good future.

Alaska flying is not for everyone.

That could have been me thirty years ago. I once hauled over 1800 pounds of salmon from Pilot Point to King Salmon in a 185. That was not a happy airplane.

I learned not to do that again. This young man was not so lucky.

RIP

NEVER talk to the media....

What’s up with their “expert” with 40 years of experience?

2_CD1331_F-0_A01-40_D5-_B6_F8-9908521_EDD1_B.jpg

“Pilot” or student pilot?

I searched for P Stanger, no state or anything selected for the search, one result, even tried with just his last name in all of AK, got three, only one with Phillip in his name
A7_FBC00_A-0690-4_AE8-_AC38-23452_F3671_D7.jpg

And what’s up with his plane?

8_EB93319-_D425-4_AC9-_AA36-_CD45719_B442_A.jpg

F08_C7_E29-1_EB5-494_A-962_F-640_A1_AE07_AA4.jpg

Yea super sad. Matt Guthmiller’s friend (Matt was or still is the world record holder for youngest person to fly around the world in his Bonanza). I’d really like to know what happened here. Colt was obviously a very smart individual considering he graduated with his engineering degree from MIT.

It does sound like he was overloaded from the story, but who knows at this point? I hope they figure it out.

RIP

NEVER talk to the media....

What’s up with their “expert” with 40 years of experience?

2_CD1331_F-0_A01-40_D5-_B6_F8-9908521_EDD1_B.jpg

“Pilot” or student pilot?

I searched for P Stanger, no state or anything selected for the search, one result, even tried with just his last name in all of AK, got three, only one with Phillip in his name
A7_FBC00_A-0690-4_AE8-_AC38-23452_F3671_D7.jpg

And what’s up with his plane?

8_EB93319-_D425-4_AC9-_AA36-_CD45719_B442_A.jpg

F08_C7_E29-1_EB5-494_A-962_F-640_A1_AE07_AA4.jpg

His expert opinion is irrelevant, but his video of the airplane circling is relevant. It may be the only piece of visual evidence of the flight. It would be important to know not only if the airplane was overloaded. but how someone like that pilot could have allowed that situation to develop.

His expert opinion is irrelevant, but his video of the airplane circling is relevant. It may be the only piece of visual evidence of the flight. It would be important to know not only if the airplane was overloaded. but how someone like that pilot could have allowed that situation to develop.

I didn’t see the video of it taking off.

He spoke in near absolutes and on public TV no less, where there’s a good chance the pilots family, lawyers and the pax family likely will see it, guess that’s what bothered me enough to look him up

Last edited:
This is a floatplane lake. There was more than one experienced pilot out on his dock wondering what the racket was about.

That could have been me thirty years ago. I once hauled over 1800 pounds of salmon from Pilot Point to King Salmon in a 185. That was not a happy airplane.

I learned not to do that again. This young man was not so lucky.

Wow..... I have accidently overloaded a few 207s but that is a lot..!!!

Where you getting paid by the pound..??

Back