Float pilots.

Crane Pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
crane pilot
A noob question that for some reason came to me after watching a movie with a float plane in it. How do you do an engine run-up in a float plane? After all, in a land aircraft, we have wheel brakes to hold us in place. I'll bet getting a bunch of fish together or maybe even a gator or two to play tug-of-war with is not a viable option.

Elevator back to hold the prop up and do the runup while taxiing. Water is super draggy on floats so picking up speed isn't a problem. Straight skis on slick surfaces are much more problematic. No brakes AND no drag!

"Runup complete... anchors aweigh!" :)

Depending if you are at the dock? do the run up then untie.

If the guy behind you ******* too much untie as quick as you can flip them off and leave. :)

Never heard that, never seen that. Are you float rated or is that imaginary?

Just like a rolling run up with a wheels plane..... do it while taxiing.

I believe most float pilots' checklist only includes making sure their cooler is full of beer before taking off and plenty of Marlboro reds. At least that is what I gathered watching a movie once.

Do it on the go, not that big of a deal, but I try to not take a long time since if I’m not on step I like to be under 1,000RPMs

Never heard that, never seen that. Are you float rated or is that imaginary?

It’s not common, but it’s also not THAT uncommon, did it at the pond at PAJN when it was super busy, did it on another dock with a stiff current and bad weather where I’d rather trouble shoot a issue if I found one at the dock. Also a few times for mx stuff

Again not common but also not super uncommon.

Back