Float for a husky

coloradobluesky

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
coloradobluesky
Does anyone know where to get a new float for a 1996 Husky A-1 Marvel Schebler carberator? Mine acts like its got a hole in it. (carb drips when fuel tanks full some of the time). I want one of the newer plastic ones. Those old copper ones come undone at the soldered seam. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I'd say you have a bad needle valve. If your float had a hole it would fill with fuel and sink at which point the carburetor would not work.

There are two floats. They are connected. Only one has a leak.

You could be right, but...

If I shut the fuel off, and run the plane until it stops due to fuel exhaustion, it never drips for several flights (until the float fills back up). See its just one float out of two that is leaking. Thats a sure sign of sunk float because the float with the hole is draining into an empty bowl while the carb bowl is empty. After I do that it doesnt drip for a while even with full tanks and I dont turn it off. Im pretty sure. Its a small leak in just one float. Wont know for sure until we take the bottom off the carb that is true. But I buy the parts and try and have them ready for my mechanic. Less down time that way. If we have to, we can send the part back and get what we need. For now, Im going with sunk float. Ive seen this before and so has my mechanic.

They build it this way on purpose. With two floats you can have one with a leak and it doesnt fail completly. It drips, warning you of a problem. But doesnt leak when flying because the gas is going out of the carb fast enough to keep it from overflowing.

Here is what I need, but which one part number?
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/tempestvolareparts.php
It's one of the double ones.

Last edited:
Just look at the data plate on your carb and see if it's an HA or an MA

Last edited:
Your 96 Husky has the A1P engine with a MA4-5. Looks like a bad needle or seat, could be the float as well. I fly my Husky on cargas with the metal float. The plastic ones the guys on www.flyhusky.com have in the newer carbs is not very mogas resistant.

Back