Flightplanners?

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Is there a place to insert a long string of waypoints/airports to get a charted route and a total mileage?
Couldnt see but departure and destination on RTFP,
Fltplan.com does not recognize a lot of the wpt's (I didn't even bother with the lat long ones either)
Thanks

here is my approximate route:
kmrf ksaf 5v5 37N109W u96 38'35"N109'40"W kcny u77 40'15"N 112'25"W 40'35"N 113'30"W bvl255025 klwl kelk kdls k4s2 pae060020 kbvs cycd kbli sea eln krld kmso kwys kcut k4v1 kmrf

edited, corrected for flight planner:

kmrf ksaf 5v5 u96 kcny u77 bvl klwl keko kdls k4s2 pae kbvs cycd kbli sea eln krld kmso kwys kcut k4v1 kmrf

Last edited:
Looks like it kind of worked on skyvector.com. Plug the string into the box on the right.

thanks, I guess I'm too cheap to buy software to do one flight.
Skyvector accepted part of it, but no chart.
Is there no easy way for RTFP to accept other than departure and destination?

That's one of the things I don't like about RTFP. One has to rubber-band everything, circular routes a cumbersome.

thanks, I guess I'm too cheap to buy software to do one flight.
Skyvector accepted part of it, but no chart.
Is there no easy way for RTFP to accept other than departure and destination?

Flightsoft shows 3427 nm and here is a route chart. Did it kinda fast and dirty, can actually do it on sectional chart I think.

Attachments

• route.JPG
    route.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 20
That's one of the things I don't like about RTFP. One has to rubber-band everything, circular routes a cumbersome.

Jepp did that to "protect" sales of it's pay-for products.

When I put your edited, corrected format into skyvector it appears to work. 3427nm enroute also. Certainly not as flexible as Golden Eagle or Flightsoft, but it works. The whole route isn't charted but it is graphically overlaid onto the sectionals...is that what you got?

Looks like one heck of a fun trip!

Last edited:
Thanks!!
Richard, I didn't see a chart on SV, probably my error.

Now to get the pics lined up with the route.

Is there a way to have pics pop up when you move the mouse over the chart?

Thanks!!
Richard, I didn't see a chart on SV, probably my error.

Now to get the pics lined up with the route.

Is there a way to have pics pop up when you move the mouse over the chart?

Not sure exactly what you are asking here Dave, can you elaborate? Are you trying to develop an interactive map to which you can add pop up photos of your trip or whatever?

If so (and I am by no means an expert) the only free, somewhat easy (and I say somewhat) way to do that web-based is Google Maps or the likely Microsoft competitor. Here's Google's help page on it. I've done a couple and it isn't hard if you are passingly technically proficient. The hard part will be getting the route you just generated in the flight planner into Google Maps.

Dave, I had to leave off CYCD, as it didn't recognize it, but www.flyagogo.net will do it. Post this route into the "Fly Me To" box at the top of the page.

kmrf-ksaf-5v5-u96-kcny-u77-bvl-klwl-keko-kdls-k4s2-pae-kbvs-kbli-sea-eln-krld-kmso-kwys-kcut-k4v1-kmrf

Shows total distance, fuel, time, even a terrain profile. Can download a flight plan log as a PDF, too. Here's one for your flight:

EDITED: You can enter the lat/long for CYCD in the flight plan, like this:

KABC-37.5136,-122.5008-KDEF

Attachments

• flightplan.pdf
    38.6 KB · Views: 0
Another free entry:

www.landings.com

Main page has a bunch of stuff on it, but in the 'flight section' (at the bottom, after the yellow bars), select 'planning'. Seems to accept the modified entry, including cycd. place semicolons in between points. Haven't tried user-defined, but it will find VORs, etc. Just want to make sure you put the 'K' in front where needed, or you will end up in brazil or something....

Will do a basic plot, never tried overlay pictures; I'm guessing it won't do that.

Leslie

Thanks for doing my work for me, helpful folks! Now if I can sort out these 800 photos!

Seattle Avionics has Voyager. It allows you to add waypoints at any point in the plan by clicking on the map. You can also move them around as needed. I got it through Aero-news.net as a freebee. While I really like the program, it takes a lot of resources to run it on my PC. AOPA's RTFP and Golden Eagle run fine but don't have all the bells Voyager does.
Maybe I need an upgrade to my PC. Actually, I need an upgrade to my flying budget! To hell with electronic flight planners. a good #2 pencil works well too, and no overhead.

Not free ($10), but I've been using this for years and love it. It used to be a full product with an annual subscription. The the costs of keeping it up (especially current FAA sectional charts) became greater than the subscriptions justified, so Dean brought it down to the shareware level. It still gets updated databases. http://www.razorsedgesoft.com/airplan.htm

Last edited:
Back